Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car washing with household items?

2»

Comments

obi604 wrote: »
    Stop, my sides are killing me. Hilarious. Great humour.

Brock has some more advice for you here:

His logic is right up your street. He'll tell you everything you want to hear. He's a genius. And it'll smell fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you want to use washing up liquid then work away but you'd picked a bottle of car shampoo in somewhere like woodies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You are the Bleedin mod supposedly. Why didn’t you move it to wherever it should be then.

Some of you detailer types are really lovely.........NOT.

You are bleeding mistaking badly. I am not the mod and never was.

Go back and look through the replies. Your questions have been answered.

But just in case you feel they were not, please post up the actual question as you are proving my point that you don’t respond to questions.

And whatever you do, make sure you check out this entire YouTube channel.

Brillo Car Care

They have this video showing professional detailing done by total amateurs with incredible products like "Water Snot Remover" and hair dryers.

I'm so glad I spend the time investigating alternatives to going down to the petrol station and getting a bottle of Turtle Wax whatever. My eyes have been opened. We're all doing it wrong. Clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

You’re going to be hounded out now for underestimating just how seriously serious car washers take it. You’d be better requesting the thread to be closed before they try make a complete **** of you for daring question.

The irony being that if you asked every full time detailer/well informed weekend warrior, the vast majority would tell you they used fairly liquid and dish cloth before they knew any better.

A point that seems to be missed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

You’re going to be hounded out now for underestimating just how seriously serious car washers take it. You’d be better requesting the thread to be closed before they try make a complete **** of you for daring question.

Yeah, some of the replies are just too funny, Hilarious.

Please supply some more funny videos, too funny.

Some of these lads lead a funny life getting so excited about detailing a bloody car.

The irony being that if you asked every full time detailer/well informed weekend warrior, the vast majority would tell you they used fairly liquid and dish cloth before they knew any better.

Ask the question, uninformed. Grand. Totally understandable.

Get set straight, with a few simple suggestions about getting a bottle of basic car shampoo. Grand. No longer uninformed.

Act like you've been told to go buy a Flex machine and €500 worth of product, then dismiss good advice/recommendations that will tax your wallet to the sum total of a tenner....

Yeah. I think someone else is missing the point alright.

Think you have the wrong end of the stick. The OP got genuine mowers but continued to ignore them to push on with using the fairy liquid.

That’s fair enough, it’s his car, but don’t expect people that are genuinely into detailing to answer questions from there on out if you ignore the advice given at the start.

Like seriously, how hard is it to get a Bottle of car shampoo is deals if the op simply wants to wash his car?

If he wants to extend beyond the basics then the next step is genuine advice on how to wash his car but he doesn’t pear to be interested in that end of washing cars. It appears he simply wants to wash it without any consderation to “detailing’
    Which is perfectly fine, hence the recommendation for a bottle of deals shampoo or turtle wax shampoo over the dish wash soap.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You are bleeding mistaking badly. I am not the mod and never was.

Go back and look through the replies. Your questions have been answered.

But just in case you feel they were not, please post up the actual question as you are proving my point that you don’t respond to questions.

I never said the questions were not answered. You and others were the ones getting excited at me asking such a question in yeer precious forum.

• Advertisement

I never in my life used washing up liquid. Not once when I was 17 driving basic 1.4 civics, and right up through my motoring days. Never.

When I was 17 I was using turtle wax as it was a fiver in my local consort motor factors.

I never in my life used washing up liquid. Not once when I was 17 driving basic 1.4 civics, and right up through my motoring days. Never.

When I was 17 I was using turtle wax as it was a fiver in my local consort motor factors.

You are my hero.

What an achievement. - never used washing up liquid. WOW. jealous.com.

Some of these lads lead a funny life getting so excited about detailing a bloody car.

Your true colours coming out now.
    You could say the same for buying a woodies extension cord for charging your Nissan Leaf.

Ask the question, get the answer. Full stop. Don’t forget to fully unwind.

Your true colours coming out now.
    You could say the same for buying a woodies extension cord for charging your Nissan Leaf.

Ask the question, get the answer. Full stop. Don’t forget to fully unwind.

Oooooh. Below the belt. Feelings hurt.

I never said the questions were not answered. You and others were the ones getting excited at me asking such a question in yeer precious forum.
    You are my hero.

What an achievement. - never used washing up liquid. WOW. jealous.com.

Wow, thanks I’m blushing here.

Oooooh. Below the belt. Feelings hurt.

Don’t worry. I know your pain. I had a Leaf Tekna for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Congrats, I definitely used washing up liquid when i was a young teenager washing my parents cars............and i do this for a chosen living now. That was before i knew any better. I think this would be the case for most guys(and girls) who have got into the "detailing" industry.

Congrats, I definitely used washing up liquid when i was a young teenager washing my parents cars............and i do this for a chosen living now. That was before i knew any better. I think this would be the case for most guys(and girls) who have got into the "detailing" industry.

I’m not in the detailing industry but when I got interested in cars at a young age I had family involved in cars so always had the tools there to wash when required.

If I didn’t have access to the materials there, maybe I’d of got into the weekend warrior mode of using fairy :)

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ask the question, uninformed. Grand. Totally understandable.

Get set straight, with a few simple suggestions about getting a bottle of basic car shampoo. Grand. No longer uninformed.

Act like you've been told to go buy a Flex machine and €500 worth of product, then dismiss good advice/recommendations that will tax your wallet to the sum total of a tenner....

Yeah. I think someone else is missing the point alright.

Not quite. The OP asked a fairly innocuous questions most people who don't know about better car care practices would ask. First few posts suggest he is better off getting dedicated car shampoo. His first reply (post #6) is "Thanks. I know I can buy special car shampoo and all this. But I’m just wondering what standard household items to use". I personally don't see much wrong with that reply.
    Post #8 then says basically that he obviously has no real interest in looking after his car so why not just bring it to a local car wash. And then makes a comment about searching in the fridge for products to wash his hair.

From there the majority of this thread is a sh$t-show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not quite. The OP asked a fairly innocuous questions most people who don't know about better car care practices would ask. First few posts suggest he is better off getting dedicated car shampoo. His first reply (post #6) is "Thanks. I know I can buy special car shampoo and all this. But I’m just wondering what standard household items to use". I personally don't see much wrong with that reply.
    Post #8 then says basically that he obviously has no real interest in looking after his car so why not just bring it to a local car wash. And then makes a comment about searching in the fridge for products to wash his hair.

From there the majority of this thread is a sh$t-show.

If you know the right tool for the job exists and only costs a few quid, and you don't care enough to use it - then it's not much of a leap that you don't actually care about looking after the car, you just want it to look somewhat clean. I see nothing wrong with the suggestion of bringing it down the local car wash considering that.

Just to show the OP, there’s no hard feelings, here’s a basic kit for €12 in Halfords. You can click and collect I believe.

It contains a wash and wax bundle, use this with the Halfords bucket.
    A basic polish. You don’t have to use this if your not interested but the kit was a nice handy link to it all in one place.
    An interior spray cleaner.
    Tyre dressing.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/car-cleaning-kits/264033.html

This will last multiple uses on the car and unlike the washing up liquid, will help clean and enhance the look of the car.
    There’s a few other kits that I would class as being significantly better but they cost more so budget depending will be your limitation.

Here’s a wash mitt for 3.60 - https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges%2C-brushes-and-buckets/223532.html

Basic bucket for 1.20 - https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges%2C-brushes-and-buckets/616940.html

• Advertisement

If you know the right tool for the job exists and only costs a few quid, and you don't care enough to use it - then it's not much of a leap that you don't actually care about looking after the car, you just want it to look somewhat clean. I see nothing wrong with the suggestion of bringing it down the local car wash considering that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the suggestion to bring it down to the local car wash.......although in a sub forum about Detailing that would be a bit of an insult.

But to speculate on the back of the original OP post, and his subsequent single reply at the time that he seems to have no interest in keeping his car maintained the way most of us would, is very presumptive. Maybe after a few more informative replies he would have looked up products in more detail. Maybe he would have gotten the "detailing bug" and his wallet would never forgive him!! I've lost count of the number of folks who have taken a massive interest in personal car care since since the start of this pandemic!!

Perhaps his car was filthy and he wanted to wash the car that day/next day and had no way of buying proper products by then(very unlikely an online store would have to him by next morning( just check out this sub forum for guys wondering why online orders are taking a week or more to deliver!).

Maybe money is tight and he wants to see if there is any suitable replacement household products that he can use. Maybe he's a young fella with feck all money. Who knows? I certainly don't. What i do know is that this thread has descended into a farce and anyone looking in at the thread will be wondering about the maturity of those involved(me included for letting myself get dragged into replying )

And as they say in Dragon's Den "For that reason..............I am out"

Absolutely nothing wrong with the suggestion to bring it down to the local car wash.......although in a sub forum about Detailing that would be a bit of an insult.

But to speculate on the back of the original OP post, and his subsequent single reply at the time that he seems to have no interest in keeping his car maintained the way most of us would, is very presumptive. Maybe after a few more informative replies he would have looked up products in more detail. Maybe he would have gotten the "detailing bug" and his wallet would never forgive him!! I've lost count of the number of folks who have taken a massive interest in personal car care since since the start of this pandemic!!

Perhaps his car was filthy and he wanted to wash the car that day/next day and had no way of buying proper products by then(very unlikely an online store would have to him by next morning( just check out this sub forum for guys wondering why online orders are taking a week or more to deliver!).

Maybe money is tight and he wants to see if there is any suitable replacement household products that he can use. Maybe he's a young fella with feck all money. Who knows? I certainly don't. What i do know is that this thread has descended into a farce and anyone looking in at the thread will be wondering about the maturity of those involved(me included for letting myself get dragged into replying )

And as they say in Dragon's Den "For that reason..............I am out"

All of which could be explained before the chaos commenced but most of it is not true as we know some of the OP’s postings from other threads.

Reflect have next day delivery btw, even during C19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is there a Car Crash forum?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Is there a Car Crash forum?

I don’t think so.
    Specific questions can be asked in the main forum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement