Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Tree in garden

Options
  • 21-05-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi! Can anyone identify what type of tree this is, from the leaves?

Would it be a bare root ash tree?
    Thanks

Comments

Yes it's an ash tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bare root refers to when you buy the tree and it comes with the roots bare not covered in soil or potted.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Thanks, so it's not a weed then?

Interesting bit of info CJhaughey.

I've a few in the garden, just grew up over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any plant is a weed if you don't want it. Generally self seeded trees are weeds, usually because there are hundreds of them, like sycamores for example. If you want them though, and ash are nice trees that are in a bit of trouble at the moment, then grow them and enjoy. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hope you have a big garden.

• Advertisement

i hope you have a big garden.
    I do, do you reakon I'll have a mini forest in a few years if I leave them to their own devices?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes. Those seeds, and there are THOUSANDS of them, get EVERYWHERE. And they ALL sprout. I feel sorry for all the potential trees I'm "culling", but my flowerpots outside are absolutely riddled with them. Like 20-30 "sproutlings" (yes, that's a word!) a pot.

New Home wrote: »
    Yes. Those seeds, and there are THOUSANDS of them, get EVERYWHERE. And they ALL sprout. I feel sorry for all the potential trees I'm "culling", but my flowerpots outside are absolutely riddled with them. Like 20-30 "sproutlings" (yes, that's a word!) a pot.
    Thanks New Home.
    I've a few too big to cut down myself, (one must be at least 20ft high) but will make sure to cut down anything else that's growing.

looksee wrote: »
    Any plant is a weed if you don't want it. Generally self seeded trees are weeds, usually because there are hundreds of them, like sycamores for example. If you want them though, and ash are nice trees that are in a bit of trouble at the moment, then grow them and enjoy. :D
    Why are they in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Why are they in trouble?

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/treediseases/ashdiebackchalara/

I wonder has the disease slowed down recently? I haven't as much about it recently. Hopefully it's the case. I've a large ash tree in my medium sized garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I have around 4 ash trees and they are all sound as far as I can see. They don't seem to seed anything like the sycamores, some of which will have to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen quite a few stag headed ash trees lining the roads in the last few years.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/treediseases/ashdiebackchalara/

I wonder has the disease slowed down recently? I haven't as much about it recently. Hopefully it's the case. I've a large ash tree in my medium sized garden.
    Thanks, think it's clear of disease, especially at the rate it's growing. Will need to get a professional in to cut it down, it's blocking a lot of light into my kitchen, and there's a group of 4/5, that are shooting up.

Advertisement