Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from ICE to EV. Insurace: dearer or cheaper?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

How switching from ICE to EV affected your insurance?
    My oh is considering buying a new EV but first we're trying to make a financial sense out of it. Charging will be free at his workplace, that leaves insurance, road tax and service on top of the loan, of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Switched insurance from a worthless banger to a brand new EV and got a refund of about EUR150

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My experience is significantly cheaper.
    Currently paying €283 per year for a 162 i3.
    Policy is too spec including driving other cars fully comp, driving for my employment and claims without affecting NCB etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely this is unsustainable as EVs become more popular and older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

i'm switching from a banger third party to brand new leaf fully comp - 200 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Good to hear. His insurance is about 450eur on 151 mazda6, if it remains the same - that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Insurance on a "normal ev" such as a leaf, zoe, ioniq etc i have found to be cheaper but the tesla's are kind of considered to be performance cars and will generally cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    My experience is significantly cheaper.
    Currently paying €283 per year for a 162 i3.
    Policy is too spec including driving other cars fully comp, driving for my employment and claims without affecting NCB etc

Wow, that's crazy cheap! Especially with the fully comp on other cars & full NCB protection.
    Is it a major underwriter? Axa, Aviva etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Switched from a 10 year old 2 litre turbo Saab to a new Ioniq and insurance went down 50 quid.

Saving 4 grand a year since switching taking fuel, servicing, maintenance, tolls etc into account. Was getting 13 litres per hundred kilometres in the Saab!!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Was getting 13 litres per hundred kilometres in the Saab!!

I think there must have been a hole in your fuel tank :D.
    22mpg - that's mad!

Our Ioniq resulted in a lower premium too so I doubt the op need worry about that factor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kramer wrote: »
    Wow, that's crazy cheap! Especially with the fully comp on other cars & full NCB protection.
    Is it a major underwriter? Axa, Aviva etc.?

Broker through work.
    Insurer is Allianz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any options on getting an EV as a second car and keeping ICE of longer distance? Most companies seem to want them on a separate policy with 0 NCD. Not specific to EVs but a bit of a pain.

I think there must have been a hole in your fuel tank :D.
    22mpg - that's mad!

That's not far off the average I did in my 10 or so cars before my Ioniq. Some of my V8s averaged below 10MPG on weeks I commuted into the city centre with not much weekend driving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Insurance on a "normal ev" such as a leaf, zoe, ioniq etc i have found to be cheaper but the tesla's are kind of considered to be performance cars and will generally cost more.

Just changed my insurance from a 2013 CRV to a 2015 Tesla Model S, no change in premium

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    That's not far off the average I did in my 10 or so cars before my Ioniq. Some of my V8s averaged below 10MPG on weeks I commuted into the city centre with not much weekend driving.

Do you not feel a little guilty about the polar bears, now living with chronic bronchitis & COPD, as a result of your reckless commuting in 10mpg V8s?
    Don't even start me off about the penguins :D.

.......joking of course......or am I?......

Do you not feel a little guilty about the polar bears, now living with chronic bronchitis & COPD, as a result of your reckless commuting in 10mpg V8s?

Nope. They were all petrol, not cancer causing diesels and I always did a low annual mileage. And the EUR1808 motor tax I used to pay on them every year was enough to have saved 7 billion polar bears :p

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭adunis

Nor will I my two ancient cars ,petrol inline 6 and a petrol V8 won't do 1000 miles a year between them one is 36 the other 27,I think they may have saved their carbon foot print via the cars that weren't produced to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Surely this is unsustainable as EVs become more popular and older.

indeed.
    I'm wondering why EV is quoted cheaper in the first place?

The risk on the road is the same, and the cars more expensive and possibly more expensive to repair too.

Just curious

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement