Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Options
  • 21-05-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

With the recent, pandemic driven, upsurge in members of the general public moving to cycling, for transport, commuting and exercise, local bike shops are rapidly running out of sale stock of low-to-mid-range bikes (if they haven't already!).

Additionally, bikes are emerging from sheds and garages globally, blinking in the sun, and being brought to local workshops to be made roadworthy again.

This can only serve to help local bike shops on the road to recovery from the lockdown and its associated loss of business/revenue.

It's a little, bicycle-related, ray of light in the strange new world that we now live in.

I'm not being flippant about the pandemic, or the fear, anxiety, heartache and tragic loss that some people have suffered; I merely wish to spread a little positivity.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP, folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, called into duff cycles in santry earlier (looking to order replacement pads for my helmet) and overheard the two customers in front of me being told that they could not guarantee getting the bikes the customers were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Agreed, recent times have been very hard on so many people. One positive has been the increase in amount of people/families out exercising. Would be great if this keeps up whenever we get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

I can see a lot of new bikes sold at present gathering dust in the back of a shed or ending up on adverts especially when the winter kicks in.

I've already started to see the numbers out walking in my area drop dramatically but some have gone back to work this week. The numbers cycling have taken a hit in what I would have seen in terms of families out but still as many kids and teens on bikes. Given I'm at home I can't speak for the numbers now commuting by bike but in one business I pass everyday there are now 3 bikes in the stand outside the main door where before there were none.

A lot more women and teenage girls still.

Halfords being closed here and the amount of shiny new low end Treks around leads me to believe the local lbs has done OK in recent weeks.

One man I see of mature vintage every day during my mid-morning walk with the kids riding a piece of poo mtb from a by gone age is just this week on a new road bike and given the mix of kit I've seen him in looks like he's been a keen cyclist in the past and has rediscovered it. This guy would be easily 70.

I think mentioned in another thread but I saw this guy again tonight when I was out myself and laughed he was still killing himself on a pos full sus mtb in perfect nic but for the the chain and drive train so rusted he had to ride it out of the saddle in it's lowest gear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeap, talking with my LBS they can't get bikes in stock under €1,000.

One positive thing about the lockdown was less car use and more people cycling/walking.

Though I've cycled past the massive que of people in SUV's lining up to get to the local McDonalds drive-thru so it appears we haven't really learnt that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Though I've cycled past the massive que of people in SUV's lining up to get to the local McDonalds drive-thru so it appears we haven't really learnt that much!

Ya mean Micky Dees is open again...………..see ya!

Advertisement