Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the 14 day quarantine for tourists and Irish remain?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭

I'm kind of moving to the point where this particular measure might be more trouble than it's worth.

I have not made up my mind totally on it but the fact is the vast majority of would-be visitors will not visit this country if it remains in place and that could do serious damage.

Also other countries like Italy and Spain are scrapping it and I think more are going to follow.

The government have made noises about putting it on a legal footing. I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Like I say I have not totally made up my mind on it (part of the reason is I don't believe the UK which we are very exposed to has Covid anywhere near under control yet) - I can see the benefit in suppressing imports of the virus but it's one of those measures where the cure may be more harmful than the disease.

Perhaps a happy medium here is to keep it but be selective on the countries it applies to.

Should it remain? 221 votes

Yes, better to be safe than sorry
    73% 162 votes
    No, too harmful to tourist industry and other industry
    26% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK to announce their 14 day quarantine today. Ireland is exempt but not the other way around. This seems to leave a gaping hole whereby anyone can travel to Dublin and on to the UK to skip the quarantine.

Business groups in the UK say it will kill travel there. People face large fines if they don't quarantine on arrival.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0522/1139953-uk-quarantine-measures/

The UK are to review their quarantine every 3 weeks.

Perhaps we need to make that commitment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

the UK is riddled with it can see why a quarantine is needed

I can understand us implementing a quarantine from the UK.

I just don't think it's needed for every country and we should not quarantine for countries like Germany, Denmark or Austria for example who have their outbreaks under control.

That may change but for now i'd say those countries are safe for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

We should have a full ban on incoming flights until phase 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A large portion of work or tourist visitors to Ireland come from the UK and US, particularly the East Coast of the US. Both countries have very large outbreaks.

If we want to rescue tourism, we could look at fast turnaround testing, ie within the same day. We seem to have significant spare capacity now with testing so could put it to use for this.

Covid 19 is here to stay unfortunately. Even with a vaccine it will take years to eliminate it, and you'd still have people coming to the country who would present a risk.

So quarantining while a good short term measure, just isnt sustainable longer term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like Harris has got his way. You are going to have to sign a legal document in Dublin airport, give over your address details and contact phone number and legally declare you will quarantine for 14 days. The new rules start Monday. The penalties available to the courts are a fine up to 2,500 euro and up to six months in prison.

Thats effectively a nail in the coffin of inbound or outbound tourism, not many people have a spare two weeks to sit around the house upon arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have they said how long this will be in place for?

Not sure we'd have much of a tourism industry without pubs and restaurants open anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Should have done this back in March

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks like Harris has got his way. You are going to have to sign a legal document in Dublin airport, give over your address details and contact phone number and legally declare you will quarantine for 14 days. The new rules start Monday. The penalties available to the courts are a fine up to 2,500 euro and up to six months in prison.

Thats effectively a nail in the coffin of inbound or outbound tourism, not many people have a spare two weeks to sit around the house upon arriving here.

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well tourism was already nil but yes this is the final straw. seems a bit late for this, would be nice to be moving in the other direction now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Level 42 wrote: »
    the UK is riddled with it can see why a quarantine is needed

If the UK are riddled with it then they should be less worried about people arriving from countries that have low levels of infection.

A quarantine of people traveling here is the only way to keep the numbers under control once the country gets back to relative normality.

Nope. This doesn’t apply to Ireland to uk and vice versa. “ Do the quarantine rules apply to everybody?
    There are a number of groups who are exempt, including:
    Road haulage and freight workers
    Medical officials who are travelling to help fight coronavirus
    Anyone arriving from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
    Seasonal agricultural workers if they self-isolate on the property where they are working” https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Total disaster. While other countries are mapping an exit strategy we’re doubling down on the human rights infringements.

We also treated visitors from countries with little or no Covid-19 the same as visitors from the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is there to see or do now as a tourist anyway? A lot of fück all.

Looks like it will be reviewed on the 18th of June according to Tony H.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We have to go with this otherwise, the numbers will immediately go through the roof. If only we had brought this in at the beginning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

faceman wrote: »
    Total disaster. While other countries are mapping an exit strategy we’re doubling down on the human rights infringements.

We also treated visitors from countries with little or no Covid-19 the same as visitors from the USA

What human right is infringed upon, by a state stipulating conditions upon entry? People have given out for years that we have a relatively relaxed notion to border control primarily focused on protecting the exchequer. Now they are focusing on movement of people and its frowned upon? Are people not annoyed by the strawberry pickers anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What's the story about flying from Belfast? Is it true that I might not have to fill out any forms on my return as travel between NI and here are exempt from quarantine restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mickdw wrote: »
    We have to go with this otherwise, the numbers will immediately go through the roof. If only we had brought this in at the beginning.

What difference does it realistically make now seeing as theres feck all actually coming through any of our airports??

It's a bit pointless at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

What difference does it realistically make now seeing as theres feck all actually coming through any of our airports??

It's a bit pointless at this stage

Feck all now but it'll start to increase as worldwide economies start to open back up.

• Advertisement

Should be a total ban on flights regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This is it wrote: »
    Feck all now but it'll start to increase as worldwide economies start to open back up.

Which isn't for another month at least until most borders start to reopen. At that point if other EU countries are opening up borders the EU want countries to do this together so they'll be onto our lads telling them what to do.

Whenever people start to travel be it later in the summer or whenever they'll have to get rid of this rule, it'll kill off any hope the hospitality sector and aviation had.

Would have been welcome back in March but now I just dont see the point, they'll be told to get rid just like France and Greece were. We wont be the outlier in Europe being the only country at it.

There’s no way of completely shutting this down unless flights are cancelled I mean all flights

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

There’s no way of completely shutting this down unless flights are cancelled I mean all flights

I agree on cancelling flights/travel from Hotspots.
    E.G. Brazil, USA and to some extent UK.

But why would we be stopping tourism from Countries like Iceland?
    They have had the best testing system (arguably) in the world and 5 new cases in the last 3 weeks, completely eradicated the Virus in their country.

Same could be said of Czech Republic, Slovenia Slovakia, Norway, Denmark, Austria etc

I agree on cancelling flights/travel from Hotspots.
    E.G. Brazil, USA and to some extent UK.

But why would we be stopping tourism from Countries like Iceland?
    They have had the best testing system (arguably) in the world and 5 new cases in the last 3 weeks, completely eradicated the Virus in their country.

Same could be said of Czech Republic, Slovenia Slovakia, Norway, Denmark, Austria etc

I’m open to maybe Iceland and others but not the wider European nations and UK is the worst really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And when would we actually open airports back up again?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And when would we actually open airports back up again?

For Europe When the European wide R count is sub .5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I’m open to maybe Iceland and others but not the wider European nations and UK is the worst really

But you said all flights?

Surely we can look at flights from 'safe' countries and open them up while enforcing quarantine for people coming from 'less safe' countries.

That would be a common sense pragmatic approach and would open a lot of safe tourism into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Absolute madness. The HSE are dragging us backwards as a country. The new policy is "**** Tourism. **** Business". There will be a lot of people arriving at Irish airports saying that they're making onward journeys to the North to avoid this bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

GazzaL wrote: »
    Absolute madness. The HSE are dragging us backwards as a country. The new policy is "**** Tourism. **** Business". There will be a lot of people arriving at Irish airports saying that they're making onward journeys to the North to avoid this bull****.

Damn right and that’s the way it should be.

Absolutely **** tourism and business. It’ll save lives. Real life peoples lives. This isn’t a joke ffs.

Advertisement