Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the 14 day quarantine for tourists and Irish remain?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Benimar wrote: »
    So you would be happy to allow people from the US and England enter the country and walk around freely?

No point in putting out a fire in your house and immediately inviting in pyromaniacs!
    Like other nations in Europe and beyond I would limit those from hard hit nations like the above, otherwise no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Wibbs wrote: »
    Like other nations in Europe and beyond I would limit those from hard hit nations like the above, otherwise no.

So, who would you leave in then?

Without Americans and British our tourist industry is screwed anyway, and there is no way either of those can be left in for the foreseeable future - certainly not this tourist season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

British cases are dropping, never mind that when they were at their height they could waltz on in here no bother. Where was our quarantine then, when it was worth a damn? There's also nothing to stop British people driving down from the North. And no doubt if Travellers want to make the same journeys like before nada will be done to stop them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And what is your main driver for reaching this conclusion? Would you benefit if this quarantine was not in place?

Do you or a significant other work in the affected sector?

You seem genuine and I’m genuinely trying to understand your point of view.

I don’t hold that view based on the fact it’s a pandemic and cordon sanetaire have been around for hundreds of years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordon_sanitaire

At the end of the day its just armchair perspective based on what Im reading from around the world. I nor anyone close to me doesnt have any affiliation with the tourism industry. I do/did travel for work and leisure.

It seems simple to me. A blanket enforcement of quarantine made sense 2 months ago. Taking the sledgehammer approach now seems unnecessary.

Regarding Cordon Sanetaire, that's something the Spanish have in place, although they haven't erected physical boundaries. They have been strictly enforcing it. It would work in Ireland but interesting to see how they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I booked flights home there for late July, will this law still be in place at that time? I'll be staying with my parents.

They are reviewing it on June the 18th so its a matter of watch this space.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    This quarantine is yet another perfect example of the complete and utter incompetents we have running this nation. Quarantine three or four months ago? When it would have actually made a difference? Fantastic. Quarantine today months after the fact, when everywhere else is opening up? Idiotic. It's like trying to prevent a pregnancy by wearing a condom when she's in the second trimester.

That was the time for quarantine, between the Italian ski trippers and 20,000+ coming back from Cheletenham a quarantine then would have been of benefit. It also would have prevented those 5,000 odd Italian rugby fans from northern Italy from rolling into town for a piss up.

I wonder though why quarantine? Surely it would be a lot more efficient for an incoming traveller to get a test, isolate for 24 or 48 hours until the result comes in, then you test negative and off you go. People wouldnt mind paying 50 or 100 euro for a test if it meant they could just go about their normal business after two days rather than sitting around for 14.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

faceman wrote: »
    At the end of the day its just armchair perspective based on what Im reading from around the world. I nor anyone close to me doesnt have any affiliation with the tourism industry. I do/did travel for work and leisure.

It seems simple to me. A blanket enforcement of quarantine made sense 2 months ago. Taking the sledgehammer approach now seems unnecessary.

Regarding Cordon Sanetaire, that's something the Spanish have in place, although they haven't erected physical boundaries. They have been strictly enforcing it. It would work in Ireland but interesting to see how they are doing it.

Gotcha. Yeah not a crazy idea at all. I'd agree with you that it should have been done at the outset.

We are going to have to adjust our way of living to mitigate risk. What form that takes, who knows.

I guess I'm reacting to publican's saying pubs should be open or airline CEO's saying flights should resume. I think some business's are no longer viable until vaccine arrives.

All the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gotcha. Yeah not a crazy idea at all. I'd agree with you that it should have been done at the outset.

We are going to have to adjust our way of living to mitigate risk. What form that takes, who knows.

I guess I'm reacting to publican's saying pubs should be open or airline CEO's saying flights should resume. I think some business's are no longer viable until vaccine arrives.

All the best.

The pendulum is swinging and all lobby parties look for the best case for them. For MOL it’s full flights. For CMO it’s zero cases. The pendulum will eventually stop swinging somewhere inbetween. It guess it’s a question of when

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

faceman wrote: »
    The pendulum is swinging and all lobby parties look for the best case for them. For MOL it’s full flights. For CMO it’s zero cases. The pendulum will eventually stop swinging somewhere inbetween. It guess it’s a question of when

Fina fail are not happy with the idea of mandatory isolation for two weeks
    Anne rabbitte told rte radio instead there party are recommending temperature screening and testing of incoming tourist and believe Simon Harris has over stepped with talk of making the suggestion of bringing in legislation to in act a mandatory isolation.totally opposite of what Emer Higgins of fina Gale started that her party don't want to see foreign tourists coming into Ireland.
    Saying that her party were acting on public health advice only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I suspect these quarantine measures won't last long as other countries relax theres.

It's a very high impact measure for increasingly limited effect in terms of illness suppression.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they forego it in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I suspect these quarantine measures won't last long as other countries relax theres.

It's a very high impact measure for increasingly limited effect in terms of illness suppression.

Definitely not much government support even in the opposition for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah at this stage pointless. Would have been useful in March but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

What are people returning to their homes supposed to do for food during this period? Are provisions being made to facilitate acquiring "essential needs", or will people be returning to homes empty of food under the threat of prison if they try to go to Dunnes?

I'm not trying to be funny and I respect that there's a need to contain the disease, but people need access to food, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DivingDuck wrote: »
    What are people returning to their homes supposed to do for food during this period? Are provisions being made to facilitate acquiring "essential needs", or will people be returning to homes empty of food under the threat of prison if they try to go to Dunnes?

I'm not trying to be funny and I respect that there's a need to contain the disease, but people need access to food, too.

Online ordering or family that weren't away. Not that hard to make plans before u go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think if you managed to get a flight at this time getting food isn't beyond you no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pity they didn't do it for those Italian flights, Cheltenham etc. I wonder how many cases came from those.

I'm not so sure. The government's exit strategy is slow compared to other EU countries. They have shot down the reduction of the 2m distance thing despite WHO advising the minimum distance can be 1m. The government has regularly referenced that they take guidance from WHO, but clearly there is a disconnect.

I wouldn't be surprised given Harris's previous remarks about no foreign holidays in 2020 and Leo referencing August to Ursula in the EU that the measure could stay in place much longer than we would expect/hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We saw what happened with the Cheltenham goers back in March. The virus was growing in all of Europe and people here in Ireland who had plans to go to Cheltenham continued with their plans for the horse racing festivities.

Cases of Covid19 started appearing here from Cheltenham. I was told of one case. The man was an owner of a pub and he went to Cheltenham and he came home and got sick after Cheltenham. I read of another sad case here on boards from a Cheltenham goer.

I think restrictions have to happen in some form or another and hopefully it will just be for this summer and hopefully a vaccine will be through and we can start seeing some normality to travel and holidays abroad next year.

beauf wrote: »
    Pity they didn't do it for those Italian flights, Cheltenham etc. I wonder how many cases came from those.

Yeah, it's absolutely fu*King insanity how that was allowed to happen - the Italian flights, Cheltenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

owlbethere wrote: »
    We saw what happened with the Cheltenham goers back in March. The virus was growing in all of Europe and people here in Ireland who had plans to go to Cheltenham continued with their plans for the horse racing festivities.

Cases of Covid19 started appearing here from Cheltenham. I was told of one case. The man was an owner of a pub and he went to Cheltenham and he came home and got sick after Cheltenham. I read of another sad case here on boards from a Cheltenham goer.

I think restrictions have to happen in some form or another and hopefully it will just be for this summer and hopefully a vaccine will be through and we can start seeing some normality to travel and holidays abroad next year.

There may never be a vaccine. So what then? Lock us in forever and have no outward or inward travel. Bonkers stuff.

Travel abroad will happen well before next year. Nobody is going to wait for a vacinne that might not come any time soon.
    Like it or not some form of travel will resume and plenty of people will travel.

What's the alternative? Seal us off after the horse has bolted and the rest of Europe is getting on with things.

Been said time and time again, we'll have to learn to live alongside this.

• Advertisement

I saw pictures earlier in the week from Italy. Crowds of people gathering outside, sitting down together. Social distancing was nil at the tables.

I'll be interested to see what their case numbers will be like in a few weeks and if a second wave occurs there.

Yeah, it's absolutely fu*King insanity how that was allowed to happen - the Italian flights, Cheltenham.

You do know Cheltenham was nothing to do with us yeah ? What are they supposed to do round up everyone in the country that was planning to go and lock them up.

Anyone coming back into the country should have had their own cop on to restrict their movements for 14 days as per the advice.

There may never be a vaccine. So what then? Lock us in forever and have no outward or inward travel. Bonkers stuff.

Sure just destroy the aviation industry and any hope that tourism had for later in the summer. It's fine we'll get a bailout to pay for it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I see Spain is opening up for tourists July 1. So anyone with holidays booked will have to go or lose cash. This silly restriction will need to be gone by then.

We don't know that about a vaccine. A vaccine might be formed. The London/Oxford vaccine is moving into the stage three of the trials, which would look promising for the vaccine.

I don't know how vaccine formation works but surely they wouldn't be moving into stage 3 of the vaccine, if stage 2 was a failure. It does look good.

(I'm someone who's happy to take it easy and wait it out for a vaccine and write off travel abroad for a year or two.)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

I saw pictures earlier in the week from Italy. Crowds of people gathering outside, sitting down together. Social distancing was nil at the tables.

I'll be interested to see what their case numbers will be like in a few weeks and if a second wave occurs there.

wont increase by much as the virus is burning out all over europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Online ordering or family that weren't away. Not that hard to make plans before u go
    beauf wrote: »
    I think if you managed to get a flight at this time getting food isn't beyond you no?

I have a family member who has been overseas since December and need to return before the end of the summer. There are plenty of people who've been away since before this all began, and will be coming home to empty houses. Online ordering isn't possible for everyone, especially if delivery slots are still so difficult to get. Not everyone has family nearby to assist, or family at all.

Under any quarantine situation, reasonable access to food and medical supplies must be guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

otnomart wrote: »
    Interesting Tweet from France 24 journalist:
    "We may soon see all continental Europe (Schengen area) require a quarantine for visitors from the UK & Ireland this summer.
    That may mean just 2 'travel bubbles': the British Isles, and Continental Europe."

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1264152186038222853

I understand the UK seen as they left the EU but why Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

All sorts of reasons why this is ridiculous. Even getting home to isolate from the airport, are they putting on courtesy quarantine coaches?

• Advertisement

I see Spain is opening up for tourists July 1. So anyone with holidays booked will have to go or lose cash. This silly restriction will need to be gone by then.

Will be interesting to see if Spain open up to everyone or limit entry to certain countries. But yeah if Ryanair have flights running for example and your hotels open you go or lose the money. Then the public opinion really changes when your talking about thousands of euro being lost per family

Advertisement