Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the 14 day quarantine for tourists and Irish remain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I understand the UK seen as they left the EU but why Ireland?

Land border with the UK and no checks/controls, presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I understand the UK seen as they left the EU but why Ireland?

Because we've got this stupid mandatory form filling rule now whereas they were giving us free entry.

It'll be up to the EU commission to sort this mess out, Leo may be told to get rid of the rule

Level 42 wrote: »
    wont increase by much as the virus is burning out all over europe

I was sceptical about it burning out at the start but the more you look at it theres countries with restrictions eased who've seen no increase in R at all and infections still dropping so its something to keep an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was sceptical about it burning out at the start but the more you look at it theres countries with restrictions eased who've seen no increase in R at all and infections still dropping so its something to keep an eye on

China had no new cases today.

owlbethere wrote: »
    We don't know that about a vaccine. A vaccine might be formed. The London/Oxford vaccine is moving into the stage three of the trials, which would look promising for the vaccine.

I don't know how vaccine formation works but surely they wouldn't be moving into stage 3 of the vaccine, if stage 2 was a failure. It does look good.

(I'm someone who's happy to take it easy and wait it out for a vaccine and write off travel abroad for a year or two.)

Stage 3 is only an increase in the sample subjects, so more people given the vaccine, it's far from a certainty. Even if it did pass everything and then get onto phase 4 and be approved by regulators for use, making and distributing on a large scale will take a long time.

Oxford needs more testing but initial indications are that it might not stop you actually getting it, it'll limit its effects potentially which is still a game changer but eradication it probably wont do.

You can wait for a vacinne all you want it may or may not come. Some people want to get on with their lives, I enjoy travelling and am eager to get back to it so wont be waiting a year or 2.

I'm also sure the thousands employed here in airports and with airlines wont want travel written off for a year or two when their jobs are on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

crazy rule. In March it could have made a huge difference. ireland closes as other countries open. it's insane.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    China had no new cases today.

Yeah saw that, I just dont trust their numbers.

Germany is holding steady as well since reopening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then UK, Ireland and France all with semi reciprocal legislation based around 14 days of quarantine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They are reviewing it on June the 18th so its a matter of watch this space.

That was the time for quarantine, between the Italian ski trippers and 20,000+ coming back from Cheletenham a quarantine then would have been of benefit. It also would have prevented those 5,000 odd Italian rugby fans from northern Italy from rolling into town for a piss up.

I wonder though why quarantine? Surely it would be a lot more efficient for an incoming traveller to get a test, isolate for 24 or 48 hours until the result comes in, then you test negative and off you go. People wouldnt mind paying 50 or 100 euro for a test if it meant they could just go about their normal business after two days rather than sitting around for 14.

Testing for incoming travellers might give a false sense of security. Taking an incubation period of 14 days for exposure to the infection to show symptoms. If someone tests negative at the airport, they might still be a carrier of the infection, and not know it. A negative test might give them false sense of security to continue as normal with work and family life and meeting friends etc, and potentially spreading virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So then UK, Ireland and France all with semi reciprocal legislation based around 14 days of quarantine

I think it would be more: UK and Ireland on one side, and rest of Europe on another side.

With reciprocal 14 days quarantine between the two sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

No more foreign travel. Enough says Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If I arrive into Ireland and have somewhere I can quarintine, can I leave again before the 14 days are up? I've a 10 day trip to Ireland coming up at the end of July.

I want to bring my family back to Ireland for a few months to live in our house and enjoy our garden. We are all currently abroad.

We are happy to abide by the quarantine but are curious about how we would get from the airport to our house. Are car rentals still operating at the airport? It seems an awful waste to rent a car at the airport only to then park it up outside the house for two weeks while we isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

This quarantine is unworkable for business.

I've to go to Wales soon for a job thats nearly 3 months overdue.
    Was planning to reduce my risk to as low as possible by getting ferry and driving to customer.

What's the point now if I'm out of work for 2 weeks when I get back??
    I may as well fly and get there in a hour instead of 3 hour ferry trip and 5 hour drive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Spain are now saying they'll end the 2 week quarantine for arrivals from the 1st of July. this means I could fly from dublin to spain and back into belfast and avoid any quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

MadYaker wrote: »
    Spain are now saying they'll end the 2 week quarantine for arrivals from the 1st of July. this means I could fly from dublin to spain and back into belfast and avoid any quarantine.

We don’t have a quarantine it’s just to sign the locator forms with a couple of follow up calls to try and intimidate and make you feel guilty to quarantine.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    We don’t have a quarantine it’s just to sign the locator forms with a couple of follow up calls to try and intimidate and make you feel guilty to quarantine.

It's also at the moment only law until middle of June at the moment, conveniently around the same time as the EU suggested borders start to reopen

What Simon Harris is getting paid for I wonder? I'd like to see him making ends meet on 350 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Prefer to have people lose jobs than lives. 1 life is worth more that a million jobs.

This is plainly nonsensical.
    All life is precious. However, poor people are generally less healthy than more affluent people, poor people die younger and are generally less healthy.
    If we lose a million jobs, who pays the doctors bills, and sees the doctor for preventative checks.
    Emotive BS posts not based of facts are adding nothing to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Wibbs wrote: »
    This quarantine is yet another perfect example of the complete and utter incompetents we have running this nation. Quarantine three or four months ago? When it would have actually made a difference? Fantastic. Quarantine today months after the fact, when everywhere else is opening up? Idiotic.

It is so easy to be wise when you know how things turned out. This virus has been a godsend for those who want to make themselves look smarter by lambasting those "in charge" - the implication being that if the complainer was in charge, everything would have been fine.

It's tedious - everything every decision is "idiotic", everyone is an "incompetent". We don't have "incompetents" running the country - such an attitude is juvenile, worthy of a fourteen year old contemptuous of all adults. Our virus numbers are now low and under control, partly because of decisions taken by these "incompetents." We need to grow the fcuk up and stop pretending that we know better than everyone else, just because we have the benefit of hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

gral6 wrote: »
    What Simon Harris is getting paid for I wonder? I'd like to see him making ends meet on 350 a week

You think the government should be giving people more? 500 a week maybe? 1000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ongarite wrote: »
    This quarantine is unworkable for business.

I've to go to Wales soon for a job thats nearly 3 months overdue.
    Was planning to reduce my risk to as low as possible by getting ferry and driving to customer.

What's the point now if I'm out of work for 2 weeks when I get back??
    I may as well fly and get there in a hour instead of 3 hour ferry trip and 5 hour drive

Theres an exception for business travel is there not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The decisions were made by those in charge but unless the public had been compliant on the whole, the numbers would not have dropped.

It was the willingness of the majority who have helped reduce the virus figures

I've never minded the lockdown, queues, hand gel, even the toilet roll shortage but I think the attitude of loss if jobs us preferable to loss if life us too simplistic.

We need jobs, we need businesses and we need them as soon as possible, but I'm willing to wait out this roadmap to July/August and see how things go.

fisgon wrote: »
    You think the government should be giving people more? 500 a week maybe? 1000?

Do not make up a things I did not say, I said ''What Simon Harris is getting paid for I wonder? I'd like to see him making ends meet on 350 a week''

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MadYaker wrote: »

I’ll be on the same flight as you but hold your horses for a few days. The details should be published on Thursday this week. (Usually when the Spanish government has a Saturday press conference it takes till the following Thursday before rules/laws/details are published). Spain singled out the U.K. and non-Shengen already so let’s hope Sánchez doesn’t exclude us when borders open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It is so easy to be wise when you know how things turned out. This virus has been a godsend for those who want to make themselves look smarter by lambasting those "in charge" - the implication being that if the complainer was in charge, everything would have been fine.

austria closed its borders with italy on march 10th yeh "hindsight" (closed border except if you had a medical certificate)

i dont think its unfair to ask why our government allowed 5000 italians in for a cancelled rugby match a few days before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We need jobs, we need businesses and we need them as soon as possible, but I'm willing to wait out this roadmap to July/August and see how things go.

You are right. Think we have to be a bit leery of mass US/UK tourism resuming for a good while even if it hammers the tourism industry here given how important it is. The situation in both countries (esp. the US, where I'd also have more doubts about whether the full picture is really being kept track of given it seems to have become highly politically charged and part of their "culture war") is still evolving.

Better to carry on with getting the rest of our economy up and running as best we can (rather than risking a new outbreak so we can start up international tourism here as it was Pre-Covid 19). On the opening post, I think both Spain and Italy are more dependent on tourism than we are and would be surprised if they are not quite selective about who they are going to let in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's tedious - everything every decision is "idiotic", everyone is an "incompetent". We don't have "incompetents" running the country - such an attitude is juvenile, worthy of a fourteen year old contemptuous of all adults. Our virus numbers are now low and under control, partly because of decisions taken by these "incompetents." We need to grow the fcuk up and stop pretending that we know better than everyone else, just because we have the benefit of hindsight.

I would agree with this idea, it's a free shot for all sorts of unqualified solutions and people who always seem to know better, but...

...there is no sense or logic to this decision objectively. It makes no logical sense to restrict people coming in only when most of Europe has some semblance of control of the virus.

The R value and cases have been dropping all the time while the quarantine was not in place, so why introduce it now when it is least needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21776908

News interview from this morning with Captain Evan Cullen of IALPA and Prof Sam McConkey of the RCSI talking about the proposed introduction of a mandatory quarantine on everyone entering the country.

Both seemed opposed to blanket quarantine measures and instead both favoured tailored approaches where by those coming from low risk countries could freely travel amongst each other but those coming from higher risk areas would have to be quarantined, as well as proposing the means to do this using current systems that track where you're coming from originally if you've a connecting flight, as well as a database already set up showing the real time risk in different countries and airports.

Seems a much more pragmatic approach than a blanket ban and hopefully more solutions like this can be found going forward, allowing us to get back to as much normal as possible while still keeping the virus at bay and diminishing with pragmatic sensible solutions and not just blanket one size fits all rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Switzerland has only 15 new cases and no new deaths.

No reason we should not have unfettered travel with them for example and there are many more.

Advertisement