Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the 14 day quarantine for tourists and Irish remain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

NI reported no new deaths today either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

NH2013 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21776908

News interview from this morning with Captain Evan Cullen of IALPA and Prof Sam McConkey of the RCSI talking about the proposed introduction of a mandatory quarantine on everyone entering the country.

Both seemed opposed to blanket quarantine measures and instead both favoured tailored approaches where by those coming from low risk countries could freely travel amongst each other but those coming from higher risk areas would have to be quarantined, as well as proposing the means to do this using current systems that track where you're coming from originally if you've a connecting flight, as well as a database already set up showing the real time risk in different countries and airports.

Seems a much more pragmatic approach than a blanket ban and hopefully more solutions like this can be found going forward, allowing us to get back to as much normal as possible while still keeping the virus at bay and diminishing with pragmatic sensible solutions and not just blanket one size fits all rules.

It looks like the government is actually working on that with other EU leaders. Although like most things in this country it’s not going to be done overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good to see the government looking at exempting low risk countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

I'd think we should start worrying about opening up our own little country and trying to get things going. Before letting people into it with out making them quarantine. Let's be fair I didn't ask them to travel. It's one holiday season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I'm back and this 14 day quarantine is just scare mongering. Didn't even look at form in airport but took it.

The only way you'll be fined if there is an outbreak somewhere and someone mentions that you were with them.

It not actively been enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'd think we should start worrying about opening up our own little country and trying to get things going. Before letting people into it with out making them quarantine. Let's be fair I didn't ask them to travel. It's one holiday season.

It’s one economy too and when if goes wallop the real worrying will start. Wash hands practice social distance where necessary and required and remember the actual stats here. Shutting down and off the country is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, should have done it lot sooner in reality. At least til late July or August imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm back and this 14 day quarantine is just scare mongering. Didn't even look at form in airport but took it.

The only way you'll be fined if there is an outbreak somewhere and someone mentions that you were with them.

What’s the downside in just filling in a form? Why ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

2 late for form. Every country is opening up. As usual, Harris screwed it up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

We have being told by successive Governments over the years that decisions are made at EU level.
    Where is the EU now when we need them most?
    The Air travel decision guideline should come at EU level as for every flight there be return and rule should be same in each country in my opinion.
    I heard O'Leary saying the other day that we are not asking UK people to quarantine and asking rest of Europe, is this correct?
    I expect we will do as the rest of Europe if things stay going good for next Month. I wish there was clarity.
    I just read someone posted we have rule that is not enforced, crazy stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We have being told by successive Governments over the years that decisions are made at EU level.
    Where is the EU now when we need them most?
    The Air travel decision guideline should come at EU level as for every flight there be return and rule should be same in each country in my opinion.
    I heard O'Leary saying the other day that we are not asking UK people to quarantine and asking rest of Europe, is this correct?
    I expect we will do as the rest of Europe if things stay going good for next Month. I wish there was clarity.
    I just read someone posted we have rule that is not enforced, crazy stuff...

Before you go EU bashing do your research as to what the EU are and have being doing

I heard that too. I know of one transatlantic flight where passengers where directed away from the area where the forms were

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This comes as no great surprise.

Anyhow, it's too little much too late.

faceman wrote: »
    Before you go EU bashing do your research as to what the EU are and have being doing

What are you talking about?? if you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

faceman wrote: »
    I heard that too. I know of one transatlantic flight where passengers where directed away from the area where the forms were

I got a call today confirming my address where I'm staying and someone may be out over the 14 days. Scare mongering at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I got a call today confirming my address where I'm staying and someone may be out over the 14 days. Scare mongering at its finest.

Trying to intimadate you into doing it. It’s not even law. It wouldn’t surprise me that if you were out and about a cop might pull you over and check everything on your car tyres etc etc to try and get you on something.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Trying to intimadate you into doing it. It’s not even law. It wouldn’t surprise me that if you were out and about a cop might pull you over and check everything on your car tyres etc etc to try and get you on something.

"they know not what they do"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Spain tourist minister Maria Maroto has said Brits may not be let in in July. So PM announced one thing and tourist minister another. Ramp up the EU talks in next few days with Michael OLeary going head first.

For the divilment ask them to give you a call when they’re on their way out so you can make sure you at home :)

Joking aside do report back and let us know if they call on you or not

TheDriver wrote: »
    Spain tourist minister Maria Maroto has said Brits may not be let in in July. So PM announced one thing and tourist minister another. Ramp up the EU talks in next few days with Michael OLeary going head first.

I don't think O'Leary should be making the decision though he does sometimes make sense, there does need be joined-up EU thinking.

The Spanish think we Brits (shengen) so we will not be able to travel either.
    I have trip middle July and expect it to travel.

• Advertisement

I don't think O'Leary should be making the decision though he does sometimes make sense, there does need be joined-up EU thinking.

I expect it's just some scaremongeting. Wait til the charter crowds kick up a fuss. People may and will choose not to travel but companies need the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think the Spanish government know the difference between the UK and Ireland so to say they think we're Brits is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

O’Leary is a businessman. He has absolutely zero track record as regards this type of decision making. There are scores of people in the medical profession from doctors, psychologists, virologists and so on, whose expertise and opinions will inform what we need to do, what we CAN do and how soon.

This chuntering absolute maggot has seen the last of my cash. Can’t stand the guy now... I’ll be doing everything to avoid flying Ryanair going forward, might mean paying a little extra but I’ll be happy to support other airlines including Aer Lingus who have kept their mouths shut, and when they did put aircraft in the air, it was off to China, daily, to collect PPE and equipment for our citizens and health care staff... let’s when all this is over... NOT forget the businesses here who stood up to help, as opposed to those only interested in rattling the cages because they couldn’t make money.

Strumms wrote: »
    O’Leary is a businessman. He has absolutely zero track record as regards this type of decision making. There are scores of people in the medical profession from doctors, psychologists, virologists and so on, whose expertise and opinions will inform what we need to do, what we CAN do and how soon.

This chuntering absolute maggot has seen the last of my cash. Can’t stand the guy now... I’ll be doing everything to avoid flying Ryanair going forward, might mean paying a little extra but I’ll be happy to support other airlines including Aer Lingus who have kept their mouths shut, and when they did put aircraft in the air, it was off to China, daily, to collect PPE and equipment for our citizens and health care staff... let’s when all this is over... NOT forget the businesses here who stood up to help, as opposed to those only interested in rattling the cages because they couldn’t make money.

In fairness to him, he did offer the same and I think did some flights for other countries but the 737 is tiny compared to the A330 so china was never an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just a side note re flying in these times:

There was special flight organised between Germany and China to bring back German managers and other executives who had left China due to the virus outbreak and now need to return to their workplaces there.

180 passengers on this special flight.
    All were tested negative prior to departure (so they were tested, they didn't just saunter on the plane)
    On arrival, one passenger tested positive (they were all tested again)
    A third test confirmed the infection of that one passenger.

All 180 passengers were supposed to go into a 14 day quarantine anyway at their final destination...but they are all now stuck for 14 days in Tianjin, where the plane landed before they can move one to possibly another 14 days quarantine in the place where they want to end up.

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-wuerttemberg/ulm/infektionsfall-flug-deutsche-wirtschaft-100.html

So, what I'm trying to say here is ...even with extensive testing and very strictly organised flights it can happen that you export/import the virus on a plane.

Yet some people here advocate for people just booking and boarding flights willy-nilly and then just to let them roam the country so that they can relieve them of some of their money?

Nope sorry ...as far as I'm concerned, 14 days isolation it has to be. (at least for another while)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think the Spanish government know the difference between the UK and Ireland so to say they think we're Brits is a bit of an exaggeration.

I'd assume if any countries ban UK, they ban us due to the common travel area.

titan18 wrote: »

It'll be interesting. Portugal has said they are allowing Brits in but not Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

titan18 wrote: »

Doubtful, we're still an EU member state and all that entails with it including travel.

Brussels would probably get involved if a country opened up to everyone except Ireland.

It's still a month away and a long way to go yet. In the meantime anyone who fancies a trip to Germany can do so in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Strumms wrote: »

O'Leary is a great man, I'll use any chance to fly with Ryanair now. Well done O'Leary, it is time to stop all these nonsense!

• Advertisement

Doubtful, we're still an EU member state and all that entails with it including travel.

Brussels would probably get involved if a country opened up to everyone except Ireland.

It's still a month away and a long way to go yet. In the meantime anyone who fancies a trip to Germany can do so in 2 weeks time

Or Italy next week. For a holiday. Maybe even in Milan?

Advertisement