Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeding a neglected lawn?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Whats the best advice for using weed killer with kids around? Obvious not while they are outside but how long afterwards can they play on the lawn? Is there a non toxic alternative? For some reason I have it in my head that weeds don't like salt. Bought a second hand house recently and it almost looks there are more weeds than grass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regular mowing to the correct height is a good way to rejuvenate a weedy lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭mulbot

I've used bicarbonate of soda and it works really well, but I'm not sure how viable that is on a big lawn full of weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

As the above posted says, regular mowing will help hugely. The tendency here seems to be that lawns get a weekly skinning.

A twice weekly cut, and allowing the lawn to grow higher will generally result in a better quality of lawn.

The grasses will smother most of the weeds.

You could also consider trying a slow release fertiliser along the lines of Humber Palmers No 13 which won't cause mad growth but will give you a lovely healthy lawn throughout the growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cut it, it might not be as bad as you think
    then when it is low, get a bag of this
    https://www.woodies.ie/goulding-extra-strength-feed-weed-mosskiller-15kg-1158243
    be generous, water it following the instructions
    after a couple of weeks the weeds & moss dies off and go black, rake it out, hard work but it works
    lawn may now look crap but don't worry.
    mix some grass seed with some sand and compost and spread it around the bare patches, water it if no rain, in a few weeks it will knit well together

if it is still crap.... you may have to start from scratch, rotate it, mix in some sand and compost depending on what your soil is like, level it out and spread seed

then you should scarify it at least twice a year
    pole fork it and fill the holes with some sand a couple of times a year also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Vinegar is a sort of organic weedkiller. It would be safe near children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Vinegar is a sort of organic weedkiller. It would be safe near children

It will kill the grass !!

_Brian wrote: »
    It will kill the grass !!
    any weedkiller will kill grass.:confused: I don't understand that. .If you put vinegar it will kill weed but the ground will grow things again but if you mix salt and vinegar on a part of garden nothing will grow there again. Or so I have read. Vinegar is similar to perlagoric acid which is found in organic weedkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

any weedkiller will kill grass.

Not true. Selective broad leaf herbicides do not kill grass.

Salt and vinegar are non selective chemicals. They may also be more persistently toxic than alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Whats the best advice for using weed killer with kids around? Obvious not while they are outside but how long afterwards can they play on the lawn? Is there a non toxic alternative? For some reason I have it in my head that weeds don't like salt. Bought a second hand house recently and it almost looks there are more weeds than grass.

This stuff is great.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EverGreen-400sqm-Complete-Lawn-Killer/dp/B00IHVNNJ4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just cut the grass . Don't be pouring weed killer on it. If it's cut and watered it will improve. You can pull any big ones out by hand

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Not true. Selective broad leaf herbicides do not kill grass.

Salt and vinegar are non selective chemicals. They may also be more persistently toxic than alternatives.
    that is true i though the OP just wanted to kill weeds with something like glyphosate when he mentioned children. Apology OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Weedol Lawn weedkiller. Easily sprayed on and not a weed in the lawn three years after I used it.

Advertisement