Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSOC says Gardai can exercise discretion in parking enforcement

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I once politely asked a woman not to park on the cycle lane as I passed. Her response was that she had to drop off children, as if that was a rock solid justification.

The reason often given why children these days have to be driven everywhere is that walking and cycling are perceived to be unsafe.
    And part of the reason they are unsafe is the refusal to fine cars dropping off children from parking in cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Totally disagree. I'd much prefer to go around the right side of a vehicle where there may be loading/unloading activity than go up the inside of it..

Yeah, can't say I'd be too keen on going up the inside of an unloading truck.

If there's no loading bay, pull in close to the kerb and make in mandatory to carry around a couple of barriers with 'temporary cycle lane' signs on them that the driver can put on the road-side of the lorry to cordon off the same width of cycle lane that they're blocking.

Cyclists are kept safe and driver can load/unload safely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »

If there's no loading bay, pull in close to the kerb and make in mandatory to carry around a couple of barriers with 'temporary cycle lane' signs on them that the driver can put on the road-side of the lorry to cordon off the same width of cycle lane that they're blocking.

That's actually not a bad idea either and something council workers do all the time. Have 10 cones weighted, and create a gap beside the truck on the right hand side for cyclists or other VRUs. Its not perfect but it would make truck drivers, approaching traffic and everyone more aware that cyclists and other users may come around the right of the truck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If this was an option I would use it. Wouldn't always have space to carry the cones but it's a good idea

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont get why you just dont park in the road and be done with it (and this discussion)? Even if there were extra loading bays (dont come to Limerick, we use them for private parking) parking in the road is the safest option for all.

I wouldn't be going to Limerick so can't comment. I will say though that private cars who park in loading bays should be towed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going to Limerick so can't comment. I will say though that private cars who park in loading bays should be towed

No argument from me but our parking wardens only tell you to move on. They want to be your friends instead of your enemies as some traders were losing business because of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And same for commercial drivers who abuse loading bays for functions other than loading/unloading? The lads who park in loading bays for their breakfast or lunch break, or to catch up on paperwork or phone calls, or as their 'base' when working for a few hours or the full day?

Most of the blocking of loading bays that I see is by commercial vehicles.

And same for commercial drivers who abuse loading bays for functions other than loading/unloading? The lads who park in loading bays for their breakfast or lunch break, or to catch up on paperwork or phone calls, or as their 'base' when working for a few hours or the full day?

Most of the blocking of loading bays that I see is by commercial vehicles.

Maybe that's how they do it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe that's how they do it in the UK.

I'm talking about Dublin.

I'm talking about Dublin.

They should be moved on. They are abusing the loading bays. I believe most are 15 mins some 30 . Commercial vehicles shouldn't be parked there above the posted time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

...make in mandatory to carry around a couple of barriers with 'temporary cycle lane' signs on them that the driver can put on the road-side of the lorry to cordon off the same width of cycle lane that they're blocking.

Very common sight in the US, you'll have a work truck with two stacks of cones mounted on the front, that the driver can deploy as soon as they stop.

Gives the driver a safer working space and signals that they're permanently stopped as opposed to just pulled in.

Could easily be introduced here, and modified to include making room for cyclists, given that cycling tends to be much more common here.

Other thing I like over there is the doubling of traffic fines in work zones (with actual enforcement), really disincentivises people acting the idiot when conditions are unfavorable to start with.

Advertisement