Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you do with the gears to stop the chain rubbing off the thingy

Options
  • 21-05-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

When I was buying my bike the guy showed me something you do with left shifter to stop the chain rubbing off the silver thing that pushes the chain when you are near the smallest or biggest sprockety things at the back.

if you get me? Whats that called?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yeah. The front chainrings have a half notch on the gear change between each chainring position so you can avoid the chain rubbing the derailleur when on the largest or smallest sprocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It’s called “trimming” when the chains on the big chainring, push the shift lever 1/2 way. It moves the front derailleur away from the chain by a mm or so.

Sounds like a good LBS if they mentioned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

This. Before I heard of trim, I asked about what seemed to be a phantom shift, I was told that I had a triple shifter but only two rings, so just don't make the third shift...

• Advertisement

Is it a thing outside of Shimano? I've never rode sram or campagnolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Ah great thanks guys.

I couldn't remember how to do it or what it was called, been a while since out on bike due to nasty injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Brilliant shop. I tried every shop in 3 towns. Nice shop, great selection and the only one that encouraged me to bring bikes out without wanting my wallet, car key or phone.

I've sent 4 buyers there way since.

Is it a thing outside of Shimano? I've never rode sram or campagnolo.

Yes. Shimano allows one movement,whereas campagnolo Chorus allows more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

My 105 has that. The shop said there are a lot of gears on the bike so there is a half shift on the front sprockets to compensate.
    I'm finding it hard to get used to as I go full shift at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    ... I was told that I had a triple shifter but only two rings, so just don't make the third shift...
    They sold you a bike with 2 rings but a triple shifter? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

They sold you a bike with 2 rings but a triple shifter? WTF?

That's what the fella in the shop said. I came on here and asked, and Type17, I believe, explained trim to me.

Of course, it wasn't a triple shifter, just a gobshïte in the shop who didn't know any better

Advertisement