Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect grass

Options
  • 21-05-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, just wondering if someone could review my step by step process below to improve the quality of the grass in my garden. Currently my garden is full of weeds and very patchy with a lot of hard clay soil. Complete newbie by the way so forgive me if I'm totally wrong. I want to keep the process as simple as possible.
    1. Cut the grass
    2. Break down clay soil and mix with compost.
    3. Re seed new areas of clay/ compost mix
    4. Water grass for a number of weeks until new seeds form grass.
    5. Use weed and feed mixture to remove weeds and promote grass growth.

I'm unsure if I can re seed and then use the weed and feed straight away, or do I have to wait until the new grass grows before I can use the weed and feed. Also I've read online that I can use compost to rejuvenate hard clay soil. I want to use the compost because I've got plenty of it lying around. I want to keep the process simple so I do not want to be going out getting anything else other weed and feed mix if at all possible. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Hi all, just wondering if someone could review my step by step process below to improve the quality of the grass in my garden. Currently my garden is full of weeds and very patchy with a lot of hard clay soil. Complete newbie by the way so forgive me if I'm totally wrong. I want to keep the process as simple as possible.
    1. Cut the grass
    2. Break down clay soil and mix with compost.
    3. Re seed new areas of clay/ compost mix
    4. Water grass for a number of weeks until new seeds form grass.
    5. Use weed and feed mixture to remove weeds and promote grass growth.

I'm unsure if I can re seed and then use the weed and feed straight away, or do I have to wait until the new grass grows before I can use the weed and feed. Also I've read online that I can use compost to rejuvenate hard clay soil. I want to use the compost because I've got plenty of it lying around. I want to keep the process simple so I do not want to be going out getting anything else other weed and feed mix if at all possible. TIA

You'd want to make sure the weed part isn't preventing germination, maybe just go with a fertiliser until the new grass is well established

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

You'd want to make sure the weed part isn't preventing germination, maybe just go with a fertiliser until the new grass is well established

What would be the best fertiliser, we got our garden done then the snow last year destroyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Best tip i ever got for grass was to cut it every week bit not too short. Use a setting on the mower in the middle somewhere. And never cut more than a third of it at a time. This will make it strong and block the light of alot of weeds coming through.

Edit : didnt mean to put the thumbs down in this post.

Advertisement