Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is honey healthy?

• 22-05-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing some research about peoples attitudes towards honey. I notice that local honey claims to have health benefits, but is more expensive, and have created a 3 minute market research survey. If any insomniacs care to take it I'd appreciate it.

Link to SurveyMonkey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Honey is healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I wouldn't suggest you only eat or drink honey, but use/eat/drink it as part of a balanced diet, and you are onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

sKeith wrote: »
    Honey is healthy.

Thanks for the reply, sorry it was more peoples perception I was looking for

sKeith wrote: »
    Honey is healthy.

Yes I consider it healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

I probably would consider it slightly healthier than ingredients like caster sugar. I add it to mint tea but would never add sugar. I've heard local honey can help a bit with allergies

• Advertisement

duvetdayss wrote: »
    I probably would consider it slightly healthier than ingredients like caster sugar. I add it to mint tea but would never add sugar. I've heard local honey can help a bit with allergies

Yes, I'm the same, I consider it healthy and am convinced it helps my hay fever, but I was outnumbered by friends who are of the opinion it's not healthy because it has sugar, but didn't appricate its natural sugar. Surveying out of curiosity as I'm thinking about keeping a small beehive next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I did your survey. Good luck.

I did your survey. Good luck.

Thanks. Some good info and I might start a little project. Still open for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

imfml wrote: »
    ...... I notice that local honey claims to have health benefits, but is more expensive, .....

Far away honey also claims to have health benefits, and is more expensive ( than some )

A few reports from New Zealand ( home of Manuka honey )

(a) https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018746651

(b) https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018655505

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/countrylife/search/results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=honey&commit=Search

OP might the claims made for honey be partially responsible for the increase in type 2 diabetes ?

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »
    Far away honey also claims to have health benefits, and is more expensive ( than some )

A few reports from New Zealand ( home of Manuka honey )

(a) https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018746651

(b) https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018655505

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/countrylife/search/results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=honey&commit=Search

OP might the claims made for honey be partially responsible for the increase in type 2 diabetes ?

Not my field of expertise 0lddog, but I'm firmly in the the 'honey is healthy' camp and swear by it for allergies. It seems to be a common idea that it helps, and if not it is a nice guilt free sweet treat imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jayzee

Survey Done.
    What is the principal production difference between supermarket, large manufacturer e.g Boyne Valley and artisan honey.

jayzee wrote: »
    Survey Done.
    What is the principal production difference between supermarket, large manufacturer e.g Boyne Valley and artisan honey.

I notice artisan honey is usually labeled as 'raw', so less processing I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

imfml wrote: »
    Yes, I'm the same, I consider it healthy and am convinced it helps my hay fever, but I was outnumbered by friends who are of the opinion it's not healthy because it has sugar, but didn't appricate its natural sugar. Surveying out of curiosity as I'm thinking about keeping a small beehive next year.

How does a sugar molecule know if it's natural or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Raw honey is healthy in moderation, it’s full of nutrients and antioxidants and is very tasty. I get raw unfiltered honey from a producer near me and I have it in porridge most morning, it is absolutely delicious and a completely different flavour to supermarket stuff, albeit it’s expensive.

Clear honey that you see in the squeezy bottles in the supermarket has been heated, blended and highly processed and doesn’t have the same health benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Think some of the stuff in supermarkets isnt even honey.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/884kq4/your-fancy-honey-might-not-actually-be-honey

Same with cheese on cheap pizzas- not real cheese.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jayzee

Raw honey is healthy in moderation, it’s full of nutrients and antioxidants and is very tasty. I get raw unfiltered honey from a producer near me and I have it in porridge most morning, it is absolutely delicious and a completely different flavour to supermarket stuff, albeit it’s expensive.

Clear honey that you see in the squeezy bottles in the supermarket has been heated, blended and highly processed and doesn’t have the same health benefits
    Thanks, that's the information I was looking for.

Thanks that good info. There's also claims it helps immune system too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

To consider most of what is sold in shops honey is pushing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Honey is poison in the wrong dose but so is everything you consume.
    Everything is healthy is the right dose.

Survey done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement