Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys bike

Options
  • 22-05-2020 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Would anyone know where i could get a bike with drop bars for an eager 10 year old lad. About 4 foot 9 tall. He has great interest in cycling and would like to start him off without breaking the bank if possible. Thanks for any help !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

ciaeim wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Would anyone know where i could get a bike with drop bars for an eager 10 year old lad. About 4 foot 9 tall. He has great interest in cycling and would like to start him off without breaking the bank if possible. Thanks for any help !

I got one for my son at that age in Halfords. For the money it was a good solid starter bike for him. It was the Carera Junior range, if they still sell them. He will only get a couple of years out of it, so not much point spending big money. I sold it on easily enough here, through the cycling adverts section, so keep an eye on that, as others pop up from time to time.

If you are on Facebook have a look at (Cycling Products for Sale) Buy and Sell Ireland. A couple of kids road bikes have poppped up there in the last few weeks, although sometimes sellers are looking for crazy money relative to what the product is actually worth ( IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

ratracer wrote: »
    I got one for my son at that age in Halfords. For the money it was a good solid starter bike for him. It was the Carera Junior range, if they still sell them. He will only get a couple of years out of it, so not much point spending big money. I sold it on easily enough here, through the cycling adverts section, so keep an eye on that, as others pop up from time to time.

If you are on Facebook have a look at (Cycling Products for Sale) Buy and Sell Ireland. A couple of kids road bikes have poppped up there in the last few weeks, although sometimes sellers are looking for crazy money relative to what the product is actually worth ( IMO)

Any idea how much that cost please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Hard to fault a frog road bike, expensive but great for the small ones to get into cycling. My daughter (10) loves her road bike and the brakes and gears are easy for her.

https://www.frogbikes.ie/bikes/road-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Keep an eye on done deal adverts Facebook marketplace. All the usual spots. Probably looking for 24 inch wheels. There are some out there for 100 - 150 and sometimes less. Blind luck but I happened on a 24 inch road bike for my young fella also 9 for 45 quid. Mechanically fine. The position is different though. Very stretched out. I picked up a shorter stem and turned the seat clamp around and it made a huge difference. My young fellas a bit short for his age though. Be different with taller kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Advertisement