Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer donations to charities.

Options
  • 22-05-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi ,,

I have briefly searched and cannot seem to find any charity that is interested in a surplus from my de-clutering. I will donate to a "REAL' charity or sell on adverts / donedeal etc and donate the proceeds.

There is some intrinsic value to it and includes.

Working / new
    ==============

Dell Wiped, no OS with PS
    Compaq Wiped, no OS with PS
    HP Wiped, no OS with PS
    Acer - Wiped, no OS. PS not working
    Misc old PC cards
    Many cables, USB, Power, Telephone, Cat 5 etc etc.
    New boxed ready to burn CD's, DVD's and Lightscribe disks
    24" LCD colour monitor,
    bunch of 3 pin external HD power supplies.

Needs attentions / checking --> probably for recycling center.

Misc CD drives / 3/5 disk drives
    mice
    small size 3.5 HD's max 100 GB
    Various modems / routers etc

Misc
    ========
    Misc Serif ( licensed and unused ) ) and other software
    Lots of legacy books, some sealed on OS's /programming/ misc computer related

Obviously "no chancers" - no interest and have the T shirt.

==================================

While I am asking + I have approx 500-1000 cd's to destroy any ideas for a quick and painless method, apart from paying a service to destroy them as I am going to do with approx 8 black sacks of old paperwork / records

Thanks

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

eddie wrote: »
    Hi ,,

I have briefly searched and cannot seem to find any charity that is interested in a surplus from my de-clutering. I will donate to a "REAL' charity or sell on adverts / donedeal etc and donate the proceeds.

There is some intrinsic value to it and includes.

Working / new
    ==============

Dell Wiped, no OS with PS
    Compaq Wiped, no OS with PS
    HP Wiped, no OS with PS
    Acer - Wiped, no OS. PS not working
    Misc old PC cards
    Many cables, USB, Power, Telephone, Cat 5 etc etc.
    New boxed ready to burn CD's, DVD's and Lightscribe disks
    24" LCD colour monitor,
    bunch of 3 pin external HD power supplies.

Needs attentions / checking --> probably for recycling center.

Misc CD drives / 3/5 disk drives
    mice
    small size 3.5 HD's max 100 GB
    Various modems

Thanks

Eddie

Maybe a local school? Over on another thread there is a public servant complaining that some teachers do not have a laptop or tablet, and have to teach their kids now on a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Look up Camera online, the recyle and send to africa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Great idea that might die before accomplished, unfortunately.....

Take it to the school? - PC with no OS/parts missing will require IT involvement, who in turn are looking to supply new PC's($$$) instead resurrecting outdated/untested stuff and then having headache to support them.
    And usually, complaints raised with intention to get more funding(from state/school) to get new PC's...

But in general, very welcome act.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

eusap wrote: »
    Look up Camera online, the recyle and send to africa

https://camara.org/

or maybe

http://www.promiseit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Camara.org take working computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I should have been more descriptive in pointing out that the computers are all laptops,//

I did try to contact Camara but they seem to be closed or gone.

Local schools would not be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Unless it's a fully working and OK spec computer, they are going to be more hassle than worth. Realistically most of you have listed will be destined for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

If going for recycling remove the hard drives and the RAM first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hi ,,
    While I am asking + I have approx 500-1000 cd's to destroy any ideas for a quick and painless method, apart from paying a service to destroy them as I am going to do with approx 8 black sacks of old paperwork / records
    Unless they contain data to be destroyed (e.g. from backups), I would just throw them out. Some paper shredders can destroy CDs. Otherwise, I'd just destroy them myself (hammer!).

I see what you meant but 2 and possibly 3 of the laptops are pretty decent...........the Compaq, is older and all work perfectly......there must be some value rather recycling...............

• Advertisement

I see what you meant but 2 and possibly 3 of the laptops are pretty decent...........the Compaq, is older and all work perfectly......there must be some value rather recycling...............

Probably good for the first 100 or 200 but then it would get tedious.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd suggest flogging them on Adverts and if you like, you can give the proceeds to the charity of your choice.

You are unlikely to find a charity that will be able to use them without OS.

blackbox wrote: »
    I'd suggest flogging them on Adverts and if you like, you can give the proceeds to the charity of your choice.

Thanks for that - doubt I will find the time t do that..... oh well onto Plan B :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

blackbox wrote: »
    Camara wipe the drives regardless and then do a fresh install.
    Minimum Intel core i3 processor

No charity should reuse a computer as is. The risk of data protection , malware , and unlicenced software are the least concerns.

Optical disks can't be recycled so would end up in the black bin at best.

Can use a sharp metal tool to scratch the surface od CD's from centre to edge so the coating flakes off , probably makes it unreadable. If wearing work gloves and eye protection could then snap them in half but bits and flakes go everywhere. You can get paper shredders that do CD's but noisy and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I had difficulty with Camera too- had 10 dell laptops and some servers but they wouldn't collect them - wanted them dropped to their door.

They have a thing advertised now though where ESB collect the laptops and they refurbish them and give them to students for working at home. Ask about that scheme when donating.

No need destory harddrive - pc is worthless without it then- but do run a diskkill type software usb key to completly blank the disk( don't just format it-not enough).

Paper shredder will destroy cds fairly quick.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks for that - doubt I will find the time t do that..... oh well onto Plan B :)

What's plan b?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Do the CDs' hold data that you want to destroy ?

A hot air gun should make short work of that if you have one.

Advertisement