Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

We getting levels today, does anyone know?

Doubt it. This whole thing was occupying my every waking thought two weeks ago.I had to remind myself yesterday that I’m supposed to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I haven't heard anything to be honest. I wouldn't expect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

It's a complete joke that they aren't available yet. I had presumed that once the information was logged it would be released to schools - as per candidate exam number. They've had since Friday lunchtime and the large majority of it being in from Tuesday. It doesn't allow teachers to officially sign off on these extra duties and prevents management from moving to the next phase of it. The Dept's focus is on school reopening I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Quick question: If when we get students levels back and a student has decided to drop levels, which teacher has responsibility for coming up with their predicted grade? Is it the HL teacher that would have taught them all along or the OL class teacher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Jane98 wrote: »
    Quick question: If when we get students levels back and a student has decided to drop levels, which teacher has responsibility for coming up with their predicted grade? Is it the HL teacher that would have taught them all along or the OL class teacher ?

That’s funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

The teacher that taught them would know their capabilities the best.

It would be the responsibility of the teacher who taught the student to come up with the predicted grade. So your will have to use your professional judgement and whatever data you have to predict how said student would do if they sat the OL paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

Just so I have this straight: do we tick yes to the first question on Form A (my experience of working with the student in class..) for everyone or just LCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Just so I have this straight: do we tick yes to the first question on Form A (my experience of working with the student in class..) for everyone or just LCA?

Yes for that one for regular LC, that's the professional judgement bit I think

Yes for that one for regular LC, that's the professional judgement bit I think

So tick it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So tick it?

Yeah you tick it!
    That one confused me too as I thought at first they were only talking about LCA!

sitstill wrote: »
    Yeah you tick it!
    That one confused me too as I thought at first they were only talking about LCA!

Thanks a million! So it's tick yes to the first three questions, and only yes to number four if there's project work?

Sorry about this..

Thanks a million! So it's tick yes to the first three questions, and only yes to number four if there's project work?

Sorry about this..

Yep

Some extra info released in relation to repeat LCVP students, subjects outside of school, an issue with form b, and students who are no longer in the system for exam purposes. Nothing about levels yet.

Oh, and a circular is due about the “calculated grades aide” shortly. However long shortly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Our principal has told us that it could be late this week or even next week before we get the information on levels. This whole set up is just a farce.

I'm guessing every effort has to be made to contact the students who didn't sign up and ascertain the reason they didn't.

Legal implications if they progressed without them I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Lunacy that everyone is expected to hang around waiting for information about changes to levels! Once again total lack of respect to those of us working on the ground :mad:

I need a bit of advice though please. I had a student who was a clear H3 at HL and who dropped down some time ago to concentrate on other subjects. What would the equivalent grade be in OL? Would it be H1 or H2? Last year I had two similar students who did likewise and both got H1.

Thanks guys.

acequion wrote: »
    Lunacy that everyone is expected to hang around waiting for information about changes to levels! Once again total lack of respect to those of us working on the ground :mad:

I need a bit of advice though please. I had a student who was a clear H3 at HL and who dropped down some time ago to concentrate on other subjects. What would the equivalent grade be in OL? Would it be H1 or H2? Last year I had two similar students who did likewise and both got H1.

Thanks guys.

You'd know them best but if they're concentrating on other subjects wud that lessen chance of H1?

You'd know them best but if they're concentrating on other subjects wud that lessen chance of H1?

Thanks jimmy and you could be right. Just looking at the stats the incidence of H1 in OL in that subject are low. Somewhere in the 80's is probably more realistic than 90's.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I just have an Ordinary Level Class-no foundation. I presume I can submit away!

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I just have an Ordinary Level Class-no foundation. I presume I can submit away!

We all have to wait, just in case somebody decides to drop out of the blue. Your Form B and one Form A wud be off.

We haven't had our SAG meetings yet in my subject as we were hoping we'd have all levels confirmed. I'll be very cross if this drags into next week.:mad:

Does anyone know what way an out of school tutor is to send in Form A to the school? It has to be physically signed and cannot be posted. Is it their responsibility to drop it into management?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Does anyone know what way an out of school tutor is to send in Form A to the school? It has to be physically signed and cannot be posted. Is it their responsibility to drop it into management?

I would hope so seen as the rest of us have to !
    Can not see why they wouldn’t have to ?
    Same confidentiality issues posting for them as for any other teacher

km79 wrote: »
    I would hope so seen as the rest of us have to !
    Can not see why they wouldn’t have to ?
    Same confidentiality issues posting for them as for any other teacher

Thanks just making sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

acequion wrote: »

Thanks guys.

I hope I don’t sound pedantic, but I presume you mean O1 or O2.

I think it depends on the subject. In my subjects O1’s are few and far between, and a higher level student dropping wouldn’t know the lay of the land on the paper so I wouldn’t expect an O1 from them.

Some extra info released in relation to repeat LCVP students, subjects outside of school, an issue with form b, and students who are no longer in the system for exam purposes. Nothing about levels yet.

Oh, and a circular is due about the “calculated grades aide” shortly. However long shortly is.

Our school has gone ahead and appointed them. The amount of work Principals and Deputies have to do already is unreal without adding more on top. Our exam aides are working away this past week and a half getting things in order and answering staff questions. No way it's a one person job-at least two per school needed!

Our school has gone ahead and appointed them. The amount of work Principals and Deputies have to do already is unreal without adding more on top. Our exam aides are working away this past week and a half getting things in order and answering staff questions. No way it's a one person job-at least two per school needed!

Were applications invited?

Were applications invited?

Yep-through the school.

• Advertisement

I am the exam aide for our school. I haven't been doing much for the past week as I don't know what I am to be doing. I haven't been given much instruction from management as I don't think they know what they need me for yet. I'd imagine the busier time is ahead. There are no clear guidelines and circular to be released yet. I've just been dealing with tutors and explaining the process. No staff have contacted me.

You have me worried now!

Advertisement