Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

JPF82 wrote: »
    Portal I'm guessing as we were all emailed the PDF of subject codes and student levels. The PDF wasn't something that was scanned in our school by the quality of it.

Printed from the portal I'd say. Ours were sent in via post, photocopied version. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Many who dropped after the mocks wouldn't have been changed on the official system. They were probably registered for HL when they logged in to the portal and decided to just leave it. Even if in reality they had agreed to drop, and possibly even moved classes.

Exactly, I have plenty of Foundation Level students since the mocks, but it doesn't count as them moving up since they're officially considered Ordinary Level still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Hi - just wondering what you mean by submitting ‘New’ Form As.....students can only choose to move down levels.
    I filled out form As for everyone last week, at the levels I thought they’d take. I filled out two in the cases of students I thought might go either way.

These two, I had hoped, would have looked back at their results and had the sense to choose ordinary level, on the basis that there is no way anyone would look at their results and think they should do higher level. Clearly, they didn’t come to that conclusion, and unfortunately for them, that means they’re getting H8s. I had only done out form As for them at ordinary level last week, because I didn’t expect them to remain at higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I've had students move up a level, never mind down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Aren't principals brilliant. Telling the silly teachers not to worry about such silly little things.

"“It’s going extremely smoothly,” says one principal. “Once teachers got over the fact that it is was happening, they rallied quickly. They know their students well and have no problem coming up with an accurate grade.”

Another adds: “Teachers have had to sit down, put in a huge amount of time and use their professional judgment ... but, listen, if you can’t mark your own kids, you should just pack up and leave your job.”

Some principals say they have had to adjust inflated grades in some subjects to bring them into line with school records over recent years."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/it-s-going-extremely-smoothly-school-principals-on-leaving-cert-grading-1.4273088?mode=amp

Part of the next Covid park negotiations on pay cuts I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

That Irish Times article could be a little more condescending

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thank god this year is over !
    I wonder what news Friday evenings memo will have for us .........I think it will all be moot anyway . The way things have gone with the countries “roadmap “ over the last week I think we will be fully back or back in fill lockdown by September

I saw an article earlier about Dublin city playgrounds. The gist of it is the council are refusing to supervise or sanitize the playgrounds. They are opening them and leaving it up to parents to ensure sanitation and social distancing .
    We will be blessed if we don’t get hit with a second wave .
    Country has lost the run of itself over the last week

Hearing reports of very generous grades flowing in from external tutors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

We were told we have to go into the school to find out the level out students have selected! Surely it can be sent in an email - that’s what other schools are doing right?

We were told we have to go into the school to find out the level out students have selected! Surely it can be sent in an email - that’s what other schools are doing right?

Yeah, emailed today. Your school might be worried about GDPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Yeah, emailed today. Your school might be worried about GDPR

Thought that word has been consigned to history!!

Jesus, what a disaster. That Irish Times article is a horrible read and those comments from principals are despicable.

The Dept took this long to get their sh1t together and now my principal wants me to get the paperwork back to him by 11th.

Not surprised about the fabulous grades coming from external teachers - I saw a post on social media by an individual advertising the subjects she could provide predicted grading in. I mean ..... what is the point?

I will completely lose my sh*t if this is even mentioned as a potential way of reforming the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Jesus, what a disaster. That Irish Times article is a horrible read and those comments from principals are despicable.

The Dept took this long to get their sh1t together and now my principal wants me to get the paperwork back to him by 11th.

Not surprised about the fabulous grades coming from external teachers - I saw a post on social media by an individual advertising the subjects she could provide predicted grading in. I mean ..... what is the point?

I will completely lose my sh*t if this is even mentioned as a potential way of reforming the LC.

For a fee no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So essentially advertising that they can provide a fake result?

For a fee no doubt.

I would imagine so, yes. Not sure if the ad is still up (will check) but I screenshot it so have a copy.

So essentially advertising that they can provide a fake result?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The IT article is a disgrace, but not in the slightest bit unexpected. The comments are either entirely fake, or authentic. Both scenarios are equally plausible I think. And that says it all about the standard of IT education coverage, and about widespread serious issues with the attitude of school managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

The comment that would really worry me is this one,

"It’s prudent to expect a system like this will still be in place next year.”

We could have a right battle on our hands!

Meanwhile it's now 9th June and we're still not finished and no one even bats an eyelid. Exceptional circumstances not even mentioned, all taken for granted. You'd have to be worried about the long term implications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

Bananleaf, I would urge you report said individual. This must be flagged with the department. If unwilling, would you mind passing on relevant info to me.

Deadline for completion of school stage is 19th of June, Friday week. I haven’t even started yet.

• Advertisement

soso02 wrote: »
    Bananleaf, I would urge you report said individual. This must be flagged with the department. If unwilling, would you mind passing on relevant info to me.

I'm ashamed to say that the thought of reporting it never even entered my head.

I've no problem reporting it. All I have is a screenshot of the post with the posters name. I dont know who the person is, they just posted it to a community noticeboard if that makes sense. They do have their place of work on their profile and it is a private Dublin language school, so that might be of interest to Dept because now that I reread the screenshot the poster says that "we can provide a predicted grade"

I'm ashamed to say that the thought of reporting it never even entered my head.

I've no problem reporting it. All I have is a screenshot of the post with the posters name. I dont know who the person is, they just posted it to a community noticeboard if that makes sense. They do have their place of work on their profile and it is a private Dublin language school, so that might be of interest to Dept because now that I reread the screenshot the poster says that "we can provide a predicted grade"

That'll be enough to track them down seeing as all teacher's have to put their name on Form A.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Deadline for completion of school stage is 19th of June, Friday week. I haven’t even started yet.

All our finished forms have to be signed off by management today. I'm glad to get rid of them in fairness.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    All our finished forms have to be signed off by management today. I'm glad to get rid of them in fairness.

So all amendments re levels had to be done by teachers and sent in today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Alex86Eire wrote: »

Hopefully the process will be ironed out properly for this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

So all amendments re levels had to be done by teachers and sent in today?

Yes. We were encouraged to have our drafts of our forms completed last week so there wasn't much to do when it came to changing of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Treppen wrote: »
    Hopefully the process will be ironed out properly for this time next year.

Hopefully this never happens again. System not built for it.

Hope they look at changes to papers for next year if we won't have time to get full courses done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hope they look at changes to papers for next year if we won't have time to get full courses done.
    This is probably the most sensible route
    Maybe introduce more choice on each paper

It was reported on the indo today that if there is a second wave that the country won’t go into lockdown and that includes keeping schools open.

I just don’t think the government can afford it. I think we will be business as usual for the most part in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Levels were returned to schools by post yesterday morning. Schools were not given a digital copy. The portal to input the calculated grades opened at 12 yesterday but we couldn’t get on until today. It closes on the 19th and Management are expected to look at every form before the rank and grades are inputted by the exam aide. We have 200 for Leaving Cert. The paperwork is colossal.
    Most of our staff handed their forms in today.

Advertisement