Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

fall wrote: »
    Levels were returned to schools by post yesterday morning. Schools were not given a digital copy. The portal to input the calculated grades opened at 12 yesterday but we couldn’t get on until today. It closes on the 19th and Management are expected to look at every form before the rank and grades are inputted by the exam aide. We have 200 for Leaving Cert. The paperwork is colossal.
    Most of our staff handed their forms in today.

Isn’t there so much paperwork involved. I began yesterday and I still haven’t gotten through each subject (comparing form As to the relevant Bs)... have spent time emailing as students were registered for wrong subjects and then issues with external subjects etc. Some errors on the forms too by some teachers that require change.

Then management will have to look at the Bs before the inputting I suppose. Haven’t even looked at the portal yet - putting off even logging in. I’ve the subject ID list made but going to write them on it once I’ve one final check on the Bs. Dreading the inputting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Some schools still having issues with getting a username to access the portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Took us ages to log in and numerous phone calls. Trying to do a timetable and recruitment on top of this. It is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

No gdpr/confidentiality issues for dept with them posting names and levels .......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mmmml80

For the Form A do teachers tick the reasonable accommodation box for all students? Teachers in our school confused about this. Do we tick for all because it reads to some as a reasonable accommodation would be taken into account if applicable. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Mmmml80 wrote: »
    For the Form A do teachers tick the reasonable accommodation box for all students? Teachers in our school confused about this. Do we tick for all because it reads to some as a reasonable accommodation would be taken into account if applicable. Thanks

As far as I know, you only tick box for students who were granted reasonable accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I was confused over the same thing today and was told by my principal that you only tick "yes" where the student was granted the reasonable accommodation. For every other student you tick" not applicable."

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

km79 wrote: »
    No gdpr/confidentiality issues for dept with them posting names and levels .......

It was exam numbers and levels. No names. Made the process even slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

They were posted the same way leaving cert exam numbers and leaving cert results are.

If they want to take responsibility for that thats their baby. I wouldn't take the chance personally. But levels are hardly sensitive if you are comparing it to posting form A and form B

fall wrote: »
    It was exam numbers and levels. No names. Made the process even slower.

Oh yes our course
    Seems silly they insisted on posting them
    Like the way they insist on posting paper wage slips !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

A lot of teachers seem to have ticked the reasonable Accomodations box as yes for the whole class...Im assuming this is an error that needs correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Oh yes our course
    Seems silly they insisted on posting them
    Like the way they insist on posting paper wage slips !

Definitely stay with paper.
    I've kept all my payslips for the last ten years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

A lot of teachers seem to have ticked the reasonable Accomodations box as yes for the whole class...Im assuming this is an error that needs correcting.

Would assume so. A student either has a reasonable accommodation or they don't

Would assume so. A student either has a reasonable accommodation or they don't

Christ almighty..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Treppen wrote: »
    Hopefully the process will be ironed out properly for this time next year.

I've heard a few reports of parents of 5th year students challenging results being sent out in summer reports.
    Looks like some parents are getting ready for predicted grades next year.

It is
    I don’t understand the confusion with it tbh

Treppen wrote: »
    Definitely stay with paper.
    I've kept all my payslips for the last ten years!

It’s completely inefficient from the dept point of view.
    From a covid safety pov it’s also silly.
    From a personal it’s much easier store a few years of payslips electronically.

It’s up there with the asti sending out their newsletters Etc as paper instead of digital only. At least they have seen sense now

It is
    I don’t understand the confusion with it tbh

Sorry. Just double checking.

The amount of these forms that are completed incorrectly is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

It’s up there with the asti sending out their newsletters Etc as paper instead of digital only. At least they have seen sense now

Agree completely. There's no justification in this digital age for cumbersome slips of paper. I know the digital age has its disadvantages, but the ability to store neat, easily accessible records is a huge plus and should now be utilised fully, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I don't think it'll matter that much. I thought the question was quite vague. I expect many people have ticked yes for everyone. The form A and Bs will be staying in the school anyway unless there's an appeal.

• Advertisement

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I don't think it'll matter that much. I thought the question was quite vague. I expect many people have ticked yes for everyone. The form A and Bs will be staying in the school anyway unless there's an appeal.

Im in total agreement, however, say there's an appeal and some teachers have ticked no under the RACE box when the student does in fact have a reasonable Accomodation. That's when it's possible trouble might arise.

I don't think management will go to the hassle of changing all these considering they are kept on site, although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Well it came up when my mum was retiring and the public sector department she worked for were claiming she had only X amount of service done, not too sure of the details but in the end it came down to one period in the 80s where they claimed she never worked! She sent in copies and it was case closed.

Same story with a colleague moving from different areas of education (prison/third level/special schools) looking for increment/recognition of service. One of the areas closed down and naturally enough all records went to the dump :pac: . Department said she would get X increment and she assumed they had taken it into account until she did a double check a few months later. Again it came down to payslips.

I've had enough run ins with the department myself and they throw out bull**** info in their records about me that I have to correct them, usual response is "well that's what we have on file here" as if I'm making it up. Only way they believe me is when I say "I'm looking at my payslips right now for those dates". Absolutely zero faith in their IT system.
    For me it's like E-voting, if I don't see it it didn't count.

I'd still be in favour of ASTI hard copy newsletter to some extent. When it's there on the table around a bunch of teachers then it seems to have more relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mmmml80

Im in total agreement, however, say there's an appeal and some teachers have ticked no under the RACE box when the student does in fact have a reasonable Accomodation. That's when it's possible trouble might arise.

I don't think management will go to the hassle of changing all these considering they are kept on site, although I could be wrong.

Nearly every teacher in my school ticked the Yes for the reasonable accommodation option, thinking it would be applied if necessary. Principal making everyone redo every single Form A. I understand the danger of ticking No when the student is entitled to it, but this is just a waste of time. No damage is done to any student surely, the reasonable accommodation is just not given if it’s not applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry. Just double checking.

The amount of these forms that are completed incorrectly is staggering.

How do you know? Are you a principal checking the forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Nearly every teacher in my school ticked the Yes for the reasonable accommodation option, thinking it would be applied if necessary. Principal making everyone redo every single Form A. I understand the danger of ticking No when the student is entitled to it, but this is just a waste of time. No damage is done to any student surely, the reasonable accommodation is just not given if it’s not applicable?

But no further reasonable accommodation is applied. It's asking did you the teacher take into consideration Johnny's reasonable accommodation and the answer to that is either yes you did or its not applicable.

We are clarifying with teachers via email if a change needs to be made to a small error on form and getting this confirmation in writing from the teacher in an email. Any errors with grades / rank order or a signature missing has had to be signed / changed in person. There is a lot of admin bits to do alongside the checking of the forms! Bracing myself for the Portal tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I ticked yes for reasonable accommodations for everyone. It says “any approved reasonable accommodations”. I took it into account where they were approved. I don’t know if anyone applied and wasn’t approved, so I don’t know who ‘not applicable’ necessarily applies to, but ‘yes’ is the appropriate box for everyone, as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Just wondering with regards to the Calculated Grade Aide, how was the person appointed in other schools? We were told it was recommended they don't teach 6th year but recommended by whom I'm not sure, anyone else come across this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

RealJohn wrote: »
    I ticked yes for reasonable accommodations for everyone. It says “any approved reasonable accommodations”. I took it into account where they were approved. I don’t know if anyone applied and wasn’t approved, so I don’t know who ‘not applicable’ necessarily applies to, but ‘yes’ is the appropriate box for everyone, as far as I’m concerned.

The only reasonable accommodations approved would be things like smaller centres or scribe or spelling and grammar waiver if it applies to your students. Only those students who had applied and qualified should have been ticked. Every other student should have been marked as n/a. At least that’s what we were very clearly told today by management. We were provided with the list several weeks ago before we started writing our form A’s

• Advertisement

Just wondering with regards to the Calculated Grade Aide, how was the person appointed in other schools? We were told it was recommended they don't teach 6th year but recommended by whom I'm not sure, anyone else come across this?

Offered to the usual Exam Aide first in our place. I'm sure it would have been opened up too all staff otherwise though. It isn't documented anywhere that they shouldn't be teaching LC

Advertisement