Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling accessories

Options
  • 22-05-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for recommendations as to where I can purchase bike accessories online (delivers to Ireland).

I’m seeking:
    - Lights (do you recommend battery or USB charged, bearing in mind that I only plan on cycling leisurely on weekends).
    - A phone holder (Can anyone recommend one)?
    - Handlebar bag
    - Women’s clothing (good quality online. I’m willing to invest here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i got this for my phone holder, i really like it but your phone is exposed to the elements
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6M0I9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Hello,

Looking for recommendations as to where I can purchase bike accessories online (delivers to Ireland).

I’m seeking:
    - Lights (do you recommend battery or USB charged, bearing in mind that I only plan on cycling leisurely on weekends).
    - A phone holder (Can anyone recommend one)?
    - Handlebar bag
    - Women’s clothing (good quality online. I’m willing to invest here).

I find Wiggle good for a range of clothing and accessories Cyclesuperstore too (they are Irish based). I like usb lights personally but it’s another thing to remember to charge.

I recently invested in a Quad lock to mount my phone to my bike. Attaches on to your current case similarly to a pop socket. Then mounts either on front of the bars or on the stem, there’s a few different kits. It’s a nice, inexpensive solution, I ordered mine through Quad Lock on eBay and it came to around 33/34 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

Sports direct have a sale on bike bits..

I use this for holding the phone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WT82C8T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A1WH4BHD8SIJX6&psc=1

I dont bother removing the holder part off the bike and just load the phone into it each time I'm going out. Halfords have a similar one https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-and-baskets/184198.html

For lights, USB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Keep an eye out for Lidl offers during the Summer they often tend to do bike accessories and clothing around July/August time frame.

Lights fall into 2 categories "light to see with" and "lights to be seen", it sounds like you fall into the latter category if you are speccing them up.

There are some rules you need to follow as regards equipment.
    • Have a front and rear light on your bike during lighting-up hours (30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise).
    • A rear reflector that can be seen from a reasonable distance.
    • A bell, which can be heard from a reasonable distance.
    • Front and rear brakes. (you must be able to control the bike so have thee in good working order).

There is no legal requirement to wear high visibility clothing or a brain bucket i.e. helmet. It is a good idea for your own safety to make sure you are seen by other road users, high visibility clothing helps during low light conditions but it is NOT a substitute for having lights.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Lidl or maybe Aldi did cycling stuff a few weeks ago. Usually one shop folks the other for that type of seasonal product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I know the bell and the rear reflector are still a on the books as a requirement, but that's from a set of regulations from 1963. Are any Gardai actually enforcing either of these?

cletus wrote: »
    I know the bell and the rear reflector are still a on the books as a requirement, but that's from a set of regulations from 1963. Are any Gardai actually enforcing either of these?

Generally not, however, if you are involved in an accident like hit a pedestrian or their dog while they out walking it, or you yourself are involved in an accident where the driver could not see you, then these points will tend to get noted in litigation. If you are cycling around the Phoenix Park beware pedestrians have a habit of walking on cycle paths or even if cycling across the city they can absent-mindedly step off the pavement without looking while you are approaching and maybe trying to beat the traffic lights.

If you go visit the Netherlands as a pedestrian and step into the cycle lanes you will hear the bells ring to get out of the way.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Lights fall into 2 categories "light to see with" and "lights to be seen".

Safety is my main priority, so I’m happy to invest in lights. I also plan to cycle at night.

Can you recommend a good set of lights?

Safety is my main priority, so I’m happy to invest in lights. I also plan to cycle at night.

Can you recommend a good set of lights?

Cateye or Force are popular brands stocked in most local bike shops. They are generally easy to fit and put in your pocket so they don't get stolen while your bike is locked around town plus to charge them during the day for the ride home in the evening.

If you have never done riding at night or in low light conditions here are two videos on the subject which will fill you in on the considerations.

Before the lockdown I was cycling to work almost every day (20KM each way) and during the winter months it's dark both when I leave and return home. Parts of my journey I am moving quite fast and the section is not well lit so I need a light bright enough to see and avoid potholes and drains and other obstructions, but I can't blind everyone in the city centre either so I need to change it down a bit. Most days I am using the Force Dot USB Lightset (you will get it for €39 around town) which would likely suit your purposes as well. In addition I use a Bontrager Flare RT even during the day (+ has bluetooth link so I can control it from the Garmin), which does make a difference in visibility during the day on longer stretches of road, where cars come up behind you at speed and where in some parts you are forced out further in the road until the land owners are allowed to cut back the vegetation on the ditch. I find the Bontrager RT does require charging more often, in addition since I am a daily commuter I have spare lights handy in case one dies on me, which has happened. Depending on your journey time USB lights will last anywhere from 2 to 8 hours depending on the settings you use them at, if you use a dynamo powered light then charging is not a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

And in terms of the reflectors that come with the bike, do you install these AND lights?

I don't seem to have room under my saddle for a light and a reflector...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Road.cc do a good lights comparison page,

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/best-2019-2020-front-lights-cycling-40-light-beam-comparison-plus-how-212914?page=7

For any sort of long after dark ride I'd have a good light (lezyne power drive 1100i) and a cheap flasher up front, a red flasher on the seatpost, another on the rear of my helmet and a Sam Browne reflector on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuvizo-Reflective-High-Adults-Yellow/dp/B00GQTROYY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&qid=1590247352&sr=8-2&srs=19933443031

You have to be seen as well as being able to see.

And in terms of the reflectors that come with the bike, do you install these AND lights?

I don't seem to have room under my saddle for a light and a reflector...

idu5B.jpg

In general you might have a bike saddle in that position containing a multi-tool, tyre levers and spare tube or puncture repair kit (long journeys). If the seat post is long enough you can fit a rear light or reflector (or combine the 2 functions). Most bikes don't come with reflectors and you might find your local bike shop have them to spare under the counter because customers don't fit them.

If you don't have room on the seat post then you can attach the light to the seat stay plus add another light to your backpack or helmet during your journey.

I have 2 bikes, one bike has a rear pannier which has the reflector with the lights attached to the seat post. The other cheap bike for runs around town has the reflector on the seat post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

- Lights: Lezyne makes great lights, USB rechargeable. I use mine during the day as well.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=lezyne+lights&cat=direct

- A phone holder: I don't think it's a good idea. Stick your phone in your jersey pocket in a ziplock bag, it's safer. Handlebar mount = distraction.

- Handlebar bag: Lifeline has started producing these. They're quite robust and the price is reasonable.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-adventure-handlebar-bag/rp-prod191990

- Women’s clothing: For summer stuff, I personally like the Specialized and Castelli stuff. We sell a lot of DHB where I work. I'm a big fan of their winter collection, but I've never got on with the summer gear, I find their shorts are too long for short people (I'm 5'0). I tend to wear either men or women tops, but I stick to women shorts ... the whole diferrent anatomy thing ... you know.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clothing

Chain Reaction Cycles, is based in NI, delivers to IE.

Best of luck.

Advertisement