Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Can't wait until the violence kicks off along racial lines.

Anto and Deco v. Ngubu and Umbuko, who will win?

Wonder how the media will report it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Right wing fantasy I'm afraid, i know you'd all love it to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

bubblypop wrote: »
    But one thing is guaranteed, it IS impossible to walk down O Connell St without seeing drug deals & junkies.

LOL.

Seriously, just, lol like.

LOL.

Seriously, just, lol like.

Lol yourself.
    Clearly you don't walk there very often!

Lol yourself.
    Clearly you don't walk there very often!

I'd say I have a wander around town every second or third Saturday afternoon in normal times. Probably drink in town at least one night per month.

As much as it may upset you and the rest of the misery fantasists, the street is not infested with anti social behavior, addicts and open drug dealing. These problems exist throughout the inner city, they are chronic on the boardwalk, and on a stretch between Wood Quay council offices and just beyond the Merchants Quay treatment centre, along with probably dozens of residential streets nearby.

But O'Connell St itself? For the most part no. These people pass through, but to suggest they loiter there ever present in great numbers is absolute nonsense you would expect to hear from a Joe Duffy caller.

You strike me as the type of person who regards an area as rough because you saw a teenager on a bike passing a bag of weed to another teenager one day.

• Advertisement

Well you're wrong.
    I'm not blind & I pass through O Connell St a few times a week.
    I can only imagine you're a bit blind.

Oh & FYI, I grew up in 'rough' areas, so I'm not some middle class snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Some mothers son. Hold your glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The notion that "deprivation" and "ozterrity" is responsible for anti social behaviour and crime is a myth.

These creatures breed generation after generation of scum. You could predict, with the sort of accuracy that applies to greyhounds, what their offspring will be like.

Because of their decades of parasitism they are able to live life long at the expense of the rest of society - cheap houses, money for doing fk all all their lives, grants for things the rest of us would not even imagine and certainly would not be given, and virtual immunity from prison unless they do something particularly appaling or pass the "60 convictions and go straight to jail" mark, eviction or any other sanction. They have charmed lives and there are huge numbers of them in every town and city in the state. And their primary victims are those other working class people unfortunate enough to live among them.

A real "social housing" solution might be to put them all in the one place if they have a proven record of being generational wastrels.

Unfortunately age and experience would suggest to me that we've lost the battle barring some unlikely sea change at government/police/judicial/social welfare and other levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

The joys of countryside living.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Wonder how the media will report it

They dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=589580565015113&id=318037998836039

Hopefully this is the start of protecting the Dart and Luas lines from these marauding packs of youth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Some young ones do not need poverty or drugs as an excuse to be feral, they just live in their own fantasy worlds like a favorite character they see on TV. A lot can be put down to their parents been much the same. What can be done, I have no idea but evolution does have its bad points I am afraid. The more they see rotten behavior the more they feel they can be the same.

Dan.

Well you're wrong.
    I'm not blind & I pass through O Connell St a few times a week.

That, good sir, is a lie. It doesn't matter how often you people repeat the claim, O'Connell St does not have

a- consistent open air drug dealing as seen at the boardwalk/ Wood Quay

b- junkies constantly loitering. Passing through, yes, but not loitering in groups.

Why would it? It probably has the most extensive Garda CCTV in town. As much as you wish otherwise O'Connell St is not a dangerous ****hole, save perhaps for the hours after the paddys day parade disperses and you're left with gangs of drunk rowdy kids fighting each other.

I'm struggling to even recall the last time I saw somebody sat begging on that street. O'Connell Bridge plenty, but the street itself, not really. The extent of anti social behavior on the street is the Roma who use the electric box across from the Spire as a base camp for their daily activities. There used to be a constant presence of shifty looking teenagers hanging around outside Quirkeys 10 plus years ago but not any more.

The posts here remind me a bit of the Accomadation and Property forum here, where people like to paint some of the most sedate lower middle class estates of Dublin as being like something from The Wire. Irish people on the internet are obsessed with fantasist hyperbole.

It probably has the most extensive Garda CCTV in town.

Yep, and I get to watch that.
    & it's Miss, BTW.
    I never said it was dangerous. I said you cannot walk down it without seeing junkies & drug deals.
    Which is true.

I never said it was dangerous. I said you cannot walk down it without seeing junkies & drug deals.

That is not true.

I've not seen/ been offered drugs there in over four years.

I walked through it yesterday and spotted not a single junkie. Saw a few walking up by the Five Lamps and Sean McDermott, and saw drug deals on SMCD, but did not see it on O'Connell St.

Probably because you would want to be some eejit to stand around selling drugs on the most regularly Garda patrolled street in Dublin. You might as well go selling yokes in Copper Face Jacks.

Lol.
    You're blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

juno10353 wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=589580565015113&id=318037998836039

Hopefully this is the start of protecting the Dart and Luas lines from these marauding packs of youth

Very effective method of policing. Beautiful dogs but scary on command

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Truthvader wrote: »
    Two things;

If the punishment is swift enough and vicious enough crime stops. See Saudi Arabia. But that applies to you too so dont complain when your wife is beaten for not going out without a bag over her head or your husband is chopped up in the embassy for writing an article. Be careful what you wish for

As a general rule the more you give people (particularly love and hope) the better they are. Mass dumping of dysfunctional impoverished people in compounds of despair always produces rage and self destruction. To solve this problem the "haves" have to share their actual living space with the "have nots" rather than dumping them out in Darndale with each other and a couple of hundrrd euro to buy chips

By "haves" you mean Dalkey, or a new build outside the M50 where the squeezed middle are forced to live? I remember looking at where traveller halting sites were placed in Dublin, and most of the biggest sites were in poor areas, although smaller halting sites were dotted everywhere except the very richest suburbs.

Putting criminal families in middle income areas will probably harm those areas rather than fix the problem. Maybe house known problem families where the judges are.

FVP3 wrote: »
    By "haves" you mean Dalkey, or a new build outside the M50 where the squeezed middle are forced to live? I remember looking at where traveller halting sites were placed in Dublin, and most of the biggest sites were in poor areas, although smaller halting sites were dotted everywhere except the very richest suburbs.

Putting criminal families in middle income areas will probably harm those areas rather than fix the problem.

There are traveller halting sites in blackrock, foxrock, carrickmines, booterstown, Shankill, carrickmines & no doubt the richest poshest of all, rathmichael

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wouldn't describe the inner city as 'dangerous'.

But It certainly looks uncomfortable and run down, that's for sure and it needs more garda presence.

I'm saying that as a Dub, I can only imagine visitors would feel the place is dangerous when they up on Talbot Street or somewhere like that. Not the best vibe in a lot places.

Does not help that drug clinics are centralised in the centre which only invites trouble.

• Advertisement

I

Does not help that drug clinics are centralised in the centre which only invites trouble.

Alternative to having centres in city centre is to have them dispersed around the working class suburbs, which would be disaster.

Theoretically having the scum going to places in city centre means they are more easily policed. That's assuming you had a police force that could be ar$ed about protecting people against them.

Doesnt help either that there is pretty much unanimous political support for needle exchanges staffed by fkn nurses, and free gear for the junkies.

You would despair sometimes. Lift them, stick them inside and let them detox in detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Alternative to having centres in city centre is to have them dispersed around the working class suburbs, which would be disaster.

Theoretically having the scum going to places in city centre means they are more easily policed. That's assuming you had a police force that could be ar$ed about protecting people against them.

Doesnt help either that there is pretty much unanimous political support for needle exchanges staffed by fkn nurses, and free gear for the junkies.

You would despair sometimes. Lift them, stick them inside and let them detox in detention.

Yes, but the price of centralising them in the city centre I would argue is worse.

It exaggerates the problem in the centre because all these people come in on a daily basis literally from all over Leinster, this lowers the tone of the whole area, and this attract other low level anti social types to congregate.

It's also sacrificing the center of our capital city to anti social behaviour and neglect which I think is sad.

You can't complain about the state of the city centre and not realise the contribution the clinics make to that.

We can't have it both ways. We can't be embarrassed and upset by Dublin City Center and at the same time support the very policies that drag it down.

Yes, but the price of centralising them in the city centre I would argue is worse.

It exaggerates the problem in the centre because all these people come in on a daily basis literally from all over Leinster, this lowers the tone of the whole area, and this attract other low level anti social types to congregate.

It's also sacrificing the center of our capital city to anti social behaviour and neglect which I think is sad.

You can't complain about the state of the city centre and not realise the contribution the clinics make to that.

We can't have it both ways. We can't be embarrassed and upset by Dublin City Center and at the same time support the very policies that drag it down.

I don't support the centres as I implied above.

Most of these people are criminals. Not particularly clever ones. You could do 90% on any given day at Merchants Quay for something. I know people who work around that kip where they are pampered who are genuinely nervous about going for bus or to local shops. That is intolerable. Or ought to be.

Detention centres might be expensive initially, but would be cost productive in long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are traveller halting sites in blackrock, foxrock, carrickmines, booterstown, Shankill, carrickmines & no doubt the richest poshest of all, rathmichael

You can never explain that to people they do not want to believe it, becaue its dose not fit a narrative they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

FVP3 wrote: »

Putting criminal families in middle income areas will probably harm those areas rather than fix the problem. Maybe house known problem families where the judges are.

Indeed. Or make it a rule that the Minister for Justice has to live in the ****tiest estate with most problems for his/her entire tenure. Problems will be cleared up pronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The question remains - what is the root cause of so many junkies and alcos?

I don't mean some...I meant the huge number that descends on Dublin Inner City. Either sleeping on the streets, the homeless centres* or the drug clinics.

Why are there so many? That's what I can't figure out.

Let's just take homeless centres. There is Focus Ireland, Peter McVerry Trust and The Salvation Army. They are the ones I know of, there are more. Each one of these is a sizeable operation.

Focus Ireland has circa 250 staff to run the operation. If it was just this one, it would seem appropriate for a small country and city. But there a lot of these operations. To an outside observer, it would look like a mini-industry.

Why does Ireland have such a large number of these people?

(* not including those genuinely down on their luck without a place to stay but my guess is these people get sorted relatively quickly, somewhere, once there are no criminality/ addiction issues involved. Don't mean to be disrespectful to these folks. It's the ner-do-wells I'm referring to. )

Biker79 wrote: »

Focus Ireland has circa 250 staff to run the operation. If it was just this one, it would seem appropriate for a small country and city. But there a lot of these operations. To an outside observer, it would look like a mini-industry.

You answered your own question. The "poverty industry" is as massive as it is ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bonniedog wrote: »

F*cking hell. For someone who's posts I used to see regularly about your chronic alcoholism and all the pain you cause, who the hell are you to call these people scum? They hardly choose to be wretched junkies.
    Had to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Biker79 wrote: »
    The question remains - what is the root cause of so many junkies and alcos?

I don't mean some...I meant the huge number that descends on Dublin Inner City. Either sleeping on the streets, the homeless centres* or the drug clinics.

Why are there so many? That's what I can't figure out.

Let's just take homeless centres. There is Focus Ireland, Peter McVerry Trust and The Salvation Army. They are the ones I know of, there are more. Each one of these is a sizeable operation.

(* not including those genuinely down on their luck without a place to stay but my guess is these people get sorted relatively quickly, somewhere, once there are no criminality/ addiction issues involved. Don't mean to be disrespectful to these folks. It's the ner-do-wells I'm referring to. )

There is not really that many of them its just that a lot of the services are in the same areas in Dublin, outside Dublin its more diverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Where is the halting site in Foxrock?, and Blackrock?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement