Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Where is the halting site in Foxrock?, and Blackrock?

Booterstown Park, Blackrock

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/traveller_accommodation_programme_2019-2024.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Are people really afraid to stand at a bus stop or go to the shop in the city centre? It's a bit of a kip alright but never once have I felt threatened or intimidated, if anything the junkies are good for a laugh, like your man with the hula hoop who used to be on Henry Street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Are people really afraid to stand at a bus stop or go to the shop in the city centre? It's a bit of a kip alright but never once have I felt threatened or intimidated, if anything the junkies are good for a laugh, like your man with the hula hoop who used to be on Henry Street :D

I would not feel unsafe as such in town but its very annoying the persistent begging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

That, good sir, is a lie. It doesn't matter how often you people repeat the claim, O'Connell St does not have

a- consistent open air drug dealing as seen at the boardwalk/ Wood Quay

b- junkies constantly loitering. Passing through, yes, but not loitering in groups.

Why would it? It probably has the most extensive Garda CCTV in town. As much as you wish otherwise O'Connell St is not a dangerous ****hole, save perhaps for the hours after the paddys day parade disperses and you're left with gangs of drunk rowdy kids fighting each other.

I'm struggling to even recall the last time I saw somebody sat begging on that street. O'Connell Bridge plenty, but the street itself, not really. The extent of anti social behavior on the street is the Roma who use the electric box across from the Spire as a base camp for their daily activities. There used to be a constant presence of shifty looking teenagers hanging around outside Quirkeys 10 plus years ago but not any more.

The posts here remind me a bit of the Accomadation and Property forum here, where people like to paint some of the most sedate lower middle class estates of Dublin as being like something from The Wire. Irish people on the internet are obsessed with fantasist hyperbole.

You don't know what you're talking about. I live in the area and it is infested top to bottom with psycho grey tracksuit gangs running around ready to attack people. You've better chance finding a gardai in Antarctica than normally in the city center, pre-Covid at least. There is genuine fear here, and people are legally barred from defending themselves, as others have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The_Brood wrote: »
    You don't know what you're talking about. I live in the area and it is infested top to bottom with psycho grey tracksuit gangs running around ready to attack people. You've better chance finding a gardai in Antarctica than normally in the city center, pre-Covid at least. There is genuine fear here, and people are legally barred from defending themselves, as others have mentioned.

They can attack you, but if you go for them trying defend yourself its you that ends up in hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Living in Ballybough here. Plenty of anti-social behaviour and an observation would be that there seems to be no shortage of money in the area. I've managed to keep left of it regardless, albeit my car has been smashed in twice.

I was along the grass in Clontarf the other day lying out on the grass, and I couldn't believe the amount of youths on bikes that were swarming around. One was getting a backer, jumped off and tried to rob a mans bike while he was tapping a ball around witha friend. He was met with racial slurs, and that the 12-13-year-old was going to "shoot his paki ma" coupled with gun fingers. It should be noted that the gentleman was Brazilian.

It got me thinking about how possibly programs like "The K" are actually glamourizing the gun and drug culture in Ireland. If the idea is to scare kids away from these lifestyles, it's certainly failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Living in Ballybough here. Plenty of anti-social behaviour and an observation would be that there seems to be no shortage of money in the area. I've managed to keep left of it regardless, albeit my car has been smashed in twice.

I was along the grass in Clontarf the other day lying out on the grass, and I couldn't believe the amount of youths on bikes that were swarming around. One was getting a backer, jumped off and tried to rob a mans bike while he was tapping a ball around witha friend. He was met with racial slurs, and that the 12-13-year-old was going to "shoot his paki ma" coupled with gun fingers. It should be noted that the gentleman was Brazilian.

It got me thinking about how possibly programs like "The K" are actually glamourizing the gun and drug culture in Ireland. If the idea is to scare kids away from these lifestyles, it's certainly failing.

Live in D3 myself. Yeah there are a couple of bicycle gangs doing the rounds roaming in packs and hassling people. Little **** have no respect for anything.

Where is the halting site in Foxrock?, and Blackrock?

Just behind carrickmines lawn tennis club.
    And the blackrock one is along the road road.
    Do you need any locations for their others?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Live in D3 myself. Yeah there are a couple of bicycle gangs doing the rounds roaming in packs and hassling people. Little **** have no respect for anything.

When did the bikes thing kick off?

I see them in my area in packs doing really dangerous dumb ass wheelies in front of cars on busy roads.

This seems to have only become a thing in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When did the bikes thing kick off?

I see them in my area in packs doing really dangerous dumb ass wheelies in front of cars on busy roads.

This seems to have only become a thing in the last couple of years.

The Bike to work scheme seen a huge upturn in bike sales and expensive bikes at that. So they are stolen with a view to sell. When people realised that they were being sold online, the steal to sell market dried up but in the meantime the scummers copped on that the Garda are not allowed to chase them when they are on the bikes. And definitely not allowed to ram them off the bikes.

So essentially, they steal the bikes, try to sell them and if they can't then they just keep them for themselves with the view that they can evade the Garda from them.

• Advertisement

Not just scummers with bikes but a lot of normal kids just following the trend as well.

Thing that concerns me is some of these kids are going to get run over the way they are behaving on the roads.

WRT to the scrotes I don't give a ****e if they are run over or not but seems to be a lot of ok kids caught up in the fad taking stupid risks to impress their friends.

It's really dangerous what I see now on a daily basis on the roads regarding teens on bikes in my area. Seems to be happening all over the city though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

armaghlad wrote: »
    Bring back the ra

This. I remember as a kid in Dublin people coming together to get rid of the drug dealing scum. Backed up by the Ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    This. I remember as a kid in Dublin people coming together to get rid of the drug dealing scum. Backed up by the Ra.

This happened in my area. Massive drug marches on people's homes. Now the main drug dealers in the area are from the younger family of a prominent IRA member.

It's never what it seems. It's always about power.

Always chuckle when RA is being supported to come out of the ashes in these circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Ferel kids are a problem in most countries iv'e travelled to and major cities in particular. Iv'e never once felt unsafe walking the streets of Dublin tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Whats left of the RA is involved in drug pushing as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

mariaalice wrote: »
    You can never explain that to people they do not want to believe it, becaue its dose not fit a narrative they have.

None in mount merrion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/south-dublin-council-drops-plans-for-traveller-housing-in-mount-merrion-1.3842243

Did anybody post the Foxrock halting site?

The fact remains that the major halting sites are not in these areas.

FVP3 wrote: »
    None in mount merrion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/south-dublin-council-drops-plans-for-traveller-housing-in-mount-merrion-1.3842243

Did anybody post the Foxrock halting site?

The fact remains that the major halting sites are not in these areas.

It has already been posted by me
    Traveller accommodation exists in, blackrock, booterstown, cabinteely, foxrock, carrickmines, Shankill, rathmichael.
    All very desirable parts of south county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The police put far more effort into stopping cocad than they ever did into stopping any drug dealer other than john gilligan.

This happened in my area. Massive drug marches on people's homes. Now the main drug dealers in the area are from the younger family of a prominent IRA member.

It's never what it seems. It's always about power.

The IRA didn't pay off the police.

You don't know much anyway RAAD, RIRA aren't involved in drug dealing.

• Advertisement

The police put far more effort into stopping cocad than they ever did into stopping any drug dealer other than john gilligan.

Effort like ditching their surveillance on the general so the INLA could whack him.

Not true. Gerry is a humble chef now.

Gerry's never heard of the IRA

Effort like ditching their surveillance on the general so the INLA could whack him.

The General wasn't a drug dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Plenty of Gardai around the city centre at lunch. Saw a few ' have a word ' with a some Penney's tracksuit teenagers on bikes, outside the Centra on O'Connell Street. Looked like they were taking a few names.

Things are looking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Biker79 wrote: »
    Plenty of Gardai around the city centre at lunch. Saw a few ' have a word ' with a some Penney's tracksuit teenagers on bikes, outside the Centra on O'Connell Street. Looked like they were taking a few names.

Things are looking up.
    If things were looking up, they would be doing more taking a few names.

They should be able to trace the Cork fight easy enough from the videos and phone. The girls egging them on are just as bad and hopefully book thrown at them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

That Coolock video is scary https://youtu.be/xvyK2KBStoE

With all the resources being deployed at checkpoints lately, surely it would make more sense to have AGS tackling these issues.

I suppose its easier stop traffic and ask where your going and where your coming from than actually investigating and preventing crime.

The General wasn't a drug dealer.

Expensive pigeons then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Esse85 wrote: »
    That Coolock video is scary https://youtu.be/xvyK2KBStoE

With all the resources being deployed at checkpoints lately, surely it would make more sense to have AGS tackling these issues.

I suppose its easier stop traffic and ask where your going and where your coming from than actually investigating and preventing crime.
    Jesus, imagine dealing with that every day.
    I have seen the same attitude and outbursts creeping into out primary school but at least we can call the gardaí to remove parent, they have no one to call!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement