Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd a fella in the middle of the afternoon walk up to me and mutter "zimmos?" as I walked past.

Once.

About 4 years ago.

Not repeated in probably 100- 150 more Saturday afternoon strolls on O'Connell St since.

Can't be that I look too posh for zimmos as I'm often asked if I'm interested while walking up from where I park the car.

You'd want to try Sydney in Australia. You'd see a kangaroo hop down George St in the CBD (main thoroughfare) more often than you'd see a policeman walking around. Fast food joints don't have security guards so seeing violent drunks threatening sat down customers in the middle of the lunch hour and junkies KO'd in the toilet cubicles is a regular thing that locals don't even seem to bat an eyelid to, unlike Dublin this type of thing doesn't make the local media or town council agendas. Mentally ill people on crystal meth screaming, throwing bottles, ripping their clothes off. You just wouldn't see it anywhere in the tourist end of Dublin, it wouldn't be tolerated.

For a better perspective- recall all the times you've been in a McDonalds/ BK/ Supermacs in town in the middle of the day and the security is refusing admission to/ throwing out some scrote.

Imagine you live in a city that doesn't have security guards at these places, that just allows them in to beg off and threaten diners, and pass out from drugs in the toilets.

Then tell me Dublin is some sort of worldwide embarassment.

Funnily enough, I lived in Mascot for 3 years up until last April and worked in 420 George Street just before the Arcade.

It's more visible here in my opinion. Dublin is smaller in fairness and the trouble is confined to pockets of the city. I've had my phone robbed out of my hand on Westmoreland Street when on a call.

Bankstown etc are classed as ****holes in Sydney and they are not half as bad as the likes of Darndale.

We could do better in my opinion. No country is perfect, its not a dick measuring contest. I'm just using my observations. All I want is improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I lived in Mascot for 3 years up until last April and worked in 420 George Street just before the Arcade.

It's more visible here in my opinion. Dublin is smaller in fairness and the trouble is confined to pockets of the city. I've had my phone robbed out of my hand on Westmoreland Street when on a call.

Bankstown etc are classed as ****holes in Sydney and they are not half as bad as the likes of Darndale.

We could do better in my opinion. No country is perfect, its not a dick measuring contest. I'm just using my observations. All I want is improvement.

I'd half agree. I couldn't believe it a few times when I found myself late in the evening walking through places like Lakemba, Bankstown general area etc and there wasn't a soul on the streets out acting the maggot.

As for the apparently infamous Redfern, it would remind you more of Donnybrook- a posh suburb with a tiny enclave of notorious social housing. As for the notorious The Block, it's hard to be intimidated by a few streets where no c'unt seems to actually live.

But I'd disagree otherwise. The things you see on George St- aggressive begging, loitering in unguarded fast food joints, absolutely no walking police patrols, open ****tin and pissing and injecting in the street, just wouldn't happen on O'Connel St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Why is crack about to become popular? It's been around years and never caught on in Ireland.

I wonder too why Spice and laughing gas cannisters are so common in Britain but nearly unheard of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I wonder too why Spice and laughing gas cannisters are so common in Britain but nearly unheard of here.

Whippits are absolutely everywhere. The place is littered with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Redfern was dog rough about 15 years ago when i was there. As far as i know the area has transformed at some point since then.
    Thats the case in multiple cities. You know yourself, reputation can condemn an otherwise fine place, and completely flatter others (esp. Asking price for property)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Sterilisation would do wonders for the “parents” here, along with post natal abortions of any scum involved in anti social activity.

Give them €20k each if they do it before they hit 20, would save the state a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I've a better idea.

The state should subtract the legal aid from their welfare payments. You could subtract it over the course of months if it is a particularly high cost.

Honestly these scum don't care about getting convictions or going to court but they'll care if it means their free income is reduced.

What makes you think they receive welfare payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What about whizz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Nothing will change until a proper centre right party is formed which is tough on crime. But the problem then is the Irish people, many of them conditioned like children to be "looked after" by some nanny State, will only vote for the party offering them the most goodies. The general media consensus after the last election is that Irish people wanted a bigger State. That just means more welfare for exactly the people we're talking about in this thread. Paid for by one of the highest marginal tax rates in the world. It never ends.

We have been ruled by the right since the foundation of the state.

What is needed is a proper left wing party which is tough on all crime and will implement the Chinese solution to drug use.

Step 1 tell people to stop using drugs or they will be executed
    Step 2 execute everyone who has not stopped using drugs
    Step 3 liquidate the bourgeousie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

We have been ruled by the right since the foundation of the state.

What is needed is a proper left wing party which is tough on all crime and will implement the Chinese solution to drug use.

Step 1 tell people to stop using drugs or they will be executed
    Step 2 execute everyone who has not stopped using drugs
    Step 3 liquidate the bourgeousie

I like your ideology but I’d stealthily replace “drugs” with “illegal traveller activities”. Then you really are on to some sort of utopia ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

LAW AND ORDER

I'm not talking about anything abnormal, just LAW AND ORDER

NOt a slap on the wrist out in a week justice,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

LAW AND ORDER

Roundhouse kicks to the forehead in tight denim jeans justice?

LAW AND ORDER

You can talk about the law and order but they don't do what they ought to.

Corporal punishment would fix half of it.
    Used to be corporal punishment was irrelevant for kids who were hit by their dads every day but nowadays half of these kids have never had a belt , let alone a coat hanger or the buckle end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It is people like you that are part of the problem.

Talking about making reductions in one of the most generous welfare payments in the world is now akin to being a police state?

Why don't you tell me which policies you disagree with?

Simple I disagree with all of them, and listen, I'm far, far from poor myself. I hate how simpletons decide in their ignorance that they know what's best for everyone.

I'm happy to pay my fair share of tax to help those less fortunate. Sure there are feral kids running around and they come from less privileged backgrounds, but it could be a lot worse.

This country has put in place a support system for those people who, for no reason other then been born poor to get an education and make a life for themselves.

I'm sure we all know people who took advantage of this kindness to better their situation. I know several.

I decided to make a separate thread to the gangland shootings one as technically this isn't really relevant to that thread.

Over the course of the last year the youth of Coolock, Finglas, Cabra, Balbriggan, Donaghmeade, Clarehall, Ballyfermot, Ballymun, Driminagh have gotten well out of control.

We've had 3 days of assaults around North Dublin carried by a roving gang of 30 teenagers armed with knives and hammers. They have attacked innocent civilians, retired Gardai and have hospitalised a number of people and are not letting up.

In Finglas we have the Gucci gang made up of some extremely violent young teens led by some 'older' heads in their 20s. They regularly are involved in violent acts and have easy access to guns. They basically run parts of Finglas

Around Driminagh there has been a gang of teens terrorising people around the canal and luas stop. They have carried out a number of racially motivated attacks, are regularly attacking cyclists and have been responsible for many robberies.

If you don't have tiktok you should download it and look at a general search videos. It is incredible the amount of videos of these teenagers abusing Gardai, joyriding, attacking people, setting things alight etc. Obviously these are things that have always happened but the level of videos has definitely increased as has the out and out disrespect these people hold for the gardai.

Now we have an incoming crack epidemic that is going to engulf the cities. The quality of cocaine has increased immeasurably in Dublin since a decade ago and this has made these teens become more violent, psychotic and paranoid.

The guards are soft. Witness the videos of Clayton being released from the garda station because of the pressure put on the garda by his mother. The kid and the mother even had the audacity to attack the gardai after they released Clayton showing what little respect they have for the Gardai.

Take a drive around Darandale, witness scramblers joyriding around on the roads, open dealing on the green, people smoking crack in full view of the public. Watch the gardai being abused without a peep from the serving members. You rarely see garda on foot in these areas because they're terrified to leave their car.

We now have a group of 20 teens primarily around Darandale that are going to become possibly the most violent gang we've ever seen in a few years. Once they turn on Mr.Big (and they will) we are going to see even more violence.

The government needs to get serious and do a Brazilian style 'Pacificado' (when the Brazilian police cleared out Rio before the world cup and Olympics) in these bad estates. Send in the Gardai supported by the ERU, Public Order Unit and have the army ready to restore order if things get out of hand. Send a message. The government should be doing simultaneous raids on all known drug houses, and doing a sweep on the greens of all these estates at once, search every single feral kid and if anyone gets lippy give them a hit of the baton.

The Gardai need to remind these animals that this **** won't be tolerated, before its too late.

Gardai even look sideways at a juvenile and it's gsoc, courts and Facebook kangaroo courts accusing them of all sorts.

You yourself have done it. "Gone soft", "afraid" and so on. It's nonsense. Gardai are simple acting within the law and limitations placed on them by society. Clayton, whoever he is, was released because the law says he gets released. Gardai aren't the punishment section of our Justice system.

You get the policing you asked for and this is what society asked for.

The idea that sending the military in is laughable. For what? To shoot teenagers who are probable unarmed? Yeah, cause that would be met with universal applause

You can talk about the law and order but they don't do what they ought to.

Corporal punishment would fix half of it.
    Used to be corporal punishment was irrelevant for kids who were hit by their dads every day but nowadays half of these kids have never had a belt , let alone a coat hanger or the buckle end.

Thankfully my father never felt the need or desire to beat me with a weapon. I followed that trend with my own children. No Criminals in the family yet.

Thankfully my father never felt the need or desire to beat me with a weapon. I followed that trend with my own children. No Criminals in the family yet.

Well wasn't he great and aren't you great.
    Got any other random non sequiters that you want to share with the world.

What makes you think they receive welfare payments?

Because they wouldn't qualify for legal aid if they had jobs unless it's a serious case and they are on minimum wage.

Or it could be that the poster spent an afternoon in court and head heard the applications first hand

Well wasn't he great and aren't you great.
    Got any other random non sequiters that you want to share with the world.

I pity anyone who grew up in such an environment and feels it is the way to deal with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Handing down custodial sentences to any little scrote who uses the term "yup yup" would be a good starting point.

Seriously though, the lack of consequences for youths is creating massive issues for our society at large, particularly in "disadvantaged" areas. Continuing as we are will only lead to things getting worse.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It would take something big to happen for things to change. The murder of KMW sparked massive furore which dissappeared under the general election and pandemic.

It will take a big event such as a Garda being seriously injured to generate enough public outcry for the state to get a grip on this.

Right now it's not politically sexy so to speak.

And the Judicial system and legal profession play huge parts in this decline. Plenty of scum in them ranks.

Over 600 Gardai are injured annually. In the past ten years we have buried a number of them as a result of the actions of low life scum.

Hasnt changed anything. In fact, it's probable for more one sided in favor of Criminals.

It's cheaper to pay off an injured Garda or a dead ones family than put real money into the Justice system. As for victims? Pfff, they barely feature on the radar.

I pity anyone who grew up in such an environment and feels it is the way to deal with children.
    Great . But you clearly don't understand my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Over 600 Gardai are injured annually. In the past ten years we have buried a number of them as a result of the actions of low life scum.

Hasnt changed anything. In fact, it's probable for more one sided in favor of Criminals.

It's cheaper to pay off an injured Garda or a dead ones family than put real money into the Justice system. As for victims? Pfff, they barely feature on the radar.

Tbh that's the first time I have seen that particular statistic but 600 injured annually is unacceptable.

In my opinion, its a different game nowadays and the Gardaí need to be better equipped.

That has been neglected for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Lived in the Finglas area for three years, never got anything worse than low level grief but it's something you can 'smell' all the time there, there's a constant mood in the place.

In fact, I've barely ever seen the Dublin underclass as Irish, it's like they're Wythenshawe or Longsight scum with Irish accents (I live in Manchester nowadays), the British state breed and allow this sort of dumb underclass to exist to secure their permanent and everlasting hegemony, we should be doing better than this as a Republic. Our schools aren't as s**t as England's, I suppose these types just don't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Education is part of it but at the end of the day if there is no enforcement everything else in pointless.

Gardai need to be equipped and judges need to have their knuckles wrapped.

These fellas go to court all the time. The solicitors spout out the same old script. The judge literally does not even look at them. He/she knows them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It's already been mentioned but many problems were dealt with in the past by the community itself or by the local guard. A quick word with parents would often have a positive outcome and have them intervene before their children went from troublemakers to outright criminals.

Now it appears that any criticism of a child whatsoever will result in defensive actions from the parents and threats of litigation for accusing their precious child of misbehaving.

I've heard from retired guards that they often would have taken a hands on approach in the 80s and 90s but they had to step back in their later careers as bureaucracy and political correctness took hold - instead of being able to use their common sense and have a word with someone about the behaviour they would now need an official statement of complaint. It would have to be from a party who is willing to go to court and be subject to cross examination before the guard is authorised to put forward an allegation without the threat of being acccused of defamation of character or harassment.

It may sound ridiculous but people have complained to these guards superintendents who would reprimand them for not having sufficient justification to investigate. Besides this how many people would go to those lengths to make an accusation when they know these anti social elements, be they adult or juvenile, will eventually find out who they are and subsequently make the complainants life a living hell.

And even then - if the matter went to court approximately 6 months later the sentencing, if any, would be minimal and the complainant again would be subject of even more terror. It's also possible that child will get a juvenile caution in lieu of prosecution.

Niner said it - the guards can only work with the laws that are there. They were able to work with it in the past as they had far more authority respect and discretion in their approach to situations but now their hands are tied in this world of, in my opinion anyway, over accountability and lack of support from management, government and society as a whole.

Take a look at how they're filmed at every opportunity when they try to do their jobs. The impression I get is the guard often stands down as they feel they're not supported by the powers that be and are reluctant to initiate an arrest for fear of being accused of excessive force or using language that their supervisor may not approve of for fear of offending.

Is it worth taking the grief and or assault vs the stress associated with an internal and/or gsoc investigation into you which could possibly end your career or be sued personally when Garda management washes their hands of you? Even worse when you could be made an example of and perhaps prosecuted for what you thought was right at the time.

AGS needs reform. Posters here are blaming the individual guards themselves but when they see how the state was initially unwilling to introduce external stab vests or practical uniform, as combats apparently are intimidating; then youd find out quickly where the states priorities lie - and in my opinion it's not in the support and well being of their officers.

Also make no mistake. The government often compliments our police service ('police force' officially cannot be used as it's too intimidating and sends the wrong message apparently) for policing by consent and thats why our crime stats and prison populations are low. The reality is that by tying the guards hands and by not building prisons the state is saving a fortune.

I know the US is a terrible example to give but one thing I do respect - despite the lack of reform opportunities in their prisons they do one thing right. If you're convicted you're placed in prison for a long time not only to punish you but at the same time keep the public at large safe from you. Sure beats seeing lads on the streets here contemplating their next crime which might get them their 250th conviction.

With a properly supported and resourced AGS with reduced bureaucracy in both it and the courts, increased prison spaces and beefed up social services to intervene when criminal juveniles are identified - then we might see the innocent decent people feeling safer in the community.

Apologies for the length but I've been in the mood for a good rant. I'm tired of anti social behaviour and the wrong people being blamed for the injustice behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good post. Agree 100%.

Another thing that pisses me off is that it's never the gurrier's fault anymore.

They always have some 'condition' or 'mental illness', some excuse - they are never just little bastards who have no respect for themselves or anyone else that are dragged up by equally disgusting and feckless 'parents'.

ADHD and all that that doctors throw around like confetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    I baulk at the use of language like feral. These are humans, after all, who will go home and help their parents with the dishes, play football with their younger siblings, and so on.

I disagree with the word feral also, yes they are human. But this is a dream.

The whole neighborhood and their parents are afraid of these people. The teachers basically give them free run in school and just pass them. They shocked in state exams.

They are selfish and self serving. They don't lack discipline they often have a lot of intelligence and discipline.

But don't come from backgrounds of money and they put money before values. And they are too naive to realize if they waited until they were older and jobs in banking they could be law abiding citizens and get away with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

It's the never ending cycle. Scumbag wasters that should never have kids have them anyway and then unleash them on the rest of us that are trying to live a decent life. Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Because they wouldn't qualify for legal aid if they had jobs unless it's a serious case and they are on minimum wage.
    d

And that is unlikely. I don't see these people being conscientious enough to go everyday to a min wage job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement