Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Did you ever think about going on the scratch or joining the public sector? It sounds amazing.

Would you like to counter his argument or just throw nonsense back. Most people prefer to work and pay their way. There is a growing number of people for whom welfare is the only option and they are satisfied with the standard of living associated with it propped up by whatever else they want to do. When have there been cuts to welfare? Also with all the new 'homeless' it looks like there's going to be even more forever homes available. The government is prioritising getting the building of those back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Would you like to counter his argument or just throw nonsense back. Most people prefer to work and pay their way. There is a growing number of people for whom welfare is the only option and they are satisfied with the standard of living associated with it propped up by whatever else they want to do. When have there been cuts to welfare? Also with all the new 'homeless' it looks like there's going to be even more forever homes available. The government is prioritising getting the building of those back in action.
    Please state how cutting benefits relates to the scumbags who commit crimes?

You know well the majority of those on welfare are law abiding.

You get child allowance. Guess what you get benefits.

You get a bereavement grant guess what you get benefits. You are using the covid welfare scheme guess what you get benefits.

Benefits get cut all the time. Your future pension gets cut for example.

Most people crying now will be crying they didn't see things differently when they retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well I think welfare and forever homes are a good thing for society to certain extent, we should be proud that we look after our citizens with that safety net. I don't think this is the cause of feral youths running around the place though. There are deeper issues causing this. I'm not too sure what it is but I think it's generations of it passed down, and somehow that needs to be stopped.
    It's like heroin addicts you see all over town, they hardly set out to be heroin addicts, but they probably had horrible childhoods and are trying to fill that vacuum inside them with drugs which make them feel like everything is ok, but also has disastrous consequences. Whatever way we're trying to tackle these issues isn't work, and we need to change our approach.

Well I think welfare and forever homes are a good thing for society to certain extent, we should be proud that we look after our citizens with that safety net. I don't think this is the cause of feral youths running around the place though. There are deeper issues causing this. I'm not too sure what it is but I think it's generations of it passed down, and somehow that needs to be stopped.
    It's like heroin addicts you see all over town, they hardly set out to be heroin addicts, but they probably had horrible childhoods and are trying to fill that vacuum inside them with drugs which make them feel like everything is ok, but also has disastrous consequences. Whatever way we're trying to tackle these issues isn't work, and we need to change our approach.

Allow legal companies to set up and make these drugs with limited availability. Then slowly legalize them from these mass manufactured sources. Gangs over.

Your small town bookies couldn't compete with ladbrokes etc.

FGR wrote:
    Apologies for the length but I've been in the mood for a good rant. I'm tired of anti social behaviour and the wrong people being blamed for the injustice behind it.

Absolutely brilliant post. Fair play to you for articulating what so many think.

• Advertisement

But don't come from backgrounds of money and they put money before values. And they are too naive to realize if they waited until they were older and jobs in banking they could be law abiding citizens and get away with murder.

I didn't realise bankers could murder people...tell me more please

I didn't realise bankers could murder people...tell me more please

It's a metaphor.

Do you think they are killing for ....revenge? Its MONEY.

Put on a suit you can get away with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

nullzero wrote: »
    Handing down custodial sentences to any little scrote who uses the term "yup yup" would be a good starting point.

Seriously though, the lack of consequences for youths is creating massive issues for our society at large, particularly in "disadvantaged" areas. Continuing as we are will only lead to things getting worse.

It's almost always in these "disadvantaged" areas, not leafy Foxrock or where our judiciary and politicians dwell. As long as it never intrudes into their perfect bubble, the problem can be kept at arm's length and nothing will be done.

Brilliant. I work in a bank. Tell me how I can get my hands on this money

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Bull****, you've been watching too many Hollywood movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

first of all i dont even believe in god , im not religious , however , time was that a certain social shame existed and it was in many ways instructed by the church , nowadays the church is the media and various other PC liberal do-gooders , there is no shame in anything , as someone posted earlier , nothing is ever the fault of these feckless delinquents , its " societies " fault for not hugging them enough or providing their single parents with enough

the media sets this narrative where a traveller can leave school unable to read , begin robbing the elderly on the side while drawing every benefit going and yet the same media tribe will tell us with a straight face that this person is both " vulnerable " and a victim of prejudice on our part , its the same with the scrotes out joyriding in west dublin while their elderly neighbours are terrified out of their wits the same as the bachelor in rural ireland is in fear of frog ward 2 breaking down his door

nothing changes until a conservative media emerges which counters the lies of the monolith we currently have as politicians are afraid to talk tough on the culture of delinquency which is ever growing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well in fairness they've no proper parental figures or a community that cares about them. We got up to no good as teenagers, nothing bad really and always had respect for adults, but we came from good families and had it instilled in us as to what was right and wrong, so there were lines we'd never cross.
    These kids don't really have much of a chance given the backgrounds they come from. Combine that with the general "mad lad" culture we have in Ireland and it's not a good mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Sureitlbegrand

Could do with more prisons built so they can be locked up longer and we should be looking to bring the cost of keeping people locked up way down by using the prison population as a free labour. Would help if judges got on board and actually gave them a proper sentence too maybe with a lot of extra prison space they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is there a way the judicial system can be changed, modernised? Or will it always rely on precedence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Brilliant. I work in a bank. Tell me how I can get my hands on this money

By getting access to your Bank's DB and doing an update to create the money. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Folks it's very simple, this scum is going to live alongside us forever. There is no fixing it so we, as a people just have to accept it unfortunately. And the thing is, it's only going to get worse when these vermin start having little animals of their own.

It's not just in Dublin either, it's all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote:
    nothing changes until a conservative media emerges which counters the lies of the monolith we currently have as politicians are afraid to talk tough on the culture of delinquency which is ever growing

Only a conservative could come up with something like 'Expansionary Fiscal Contraction', and believe it actually works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

An elected mayor with powers that extended to control the Guards in Dublin or hell set up a dedicated Dublin metro police.

Would mean he/she would be free from any party political considerations and could clean up the city. A zero tolerance heavy handed approach to scobes would work. While leaving the working law abiding public alone.

Anyone running on that platform would waltz in. Worked in NY with Giuliani.

An elected mayor with powers that extended to control the Guards in Dublin or hell set up a dedicated Dublin metro police.

Would mean he/she would be free from any party political considerations and could clean up the city. A zero tolerance heavy handed approach to scobes would work. While leaving the working law abiding public alone.

media would tear them to pieces , accuse them of being the dreaded " right wing " and remind them that " inequality " was behind every single aspect of bad behaviour , they might even use the word " divisive "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Too many bleeding hearts in Ireland, it would never be allowed to happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote:
    media would tear them to pieces , accuse them of being the dreaded " right wing " and remind them that " inequality " was behind every single aspect of bad behaviour

Widening inequality is a well known root cause of complex social problems, well researched to, but it's not the only cause

Too many bleeding hearts in Ireland, it would never be allowed to happen unfortunately.

too many with real influence on policy ( media , NGO sector etc , academia ) , the numbers amongst the general population are small but as a people we hate not being in step with the prevailing narrative , time was we feared what the priest would think of us , now we fear what fintan o toole thinks of us

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Widening inequality is a well known root cause of complex social problems, well researched to, but it's not the only cause

researched by those with a left wing ideological outlook , the country was far poorer fifty years ago yet the culture of delinquency was miniscule compared to today

besides , ireland doesnt have much of a problem with inequality , social safety net is extremely robust

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i live in an area with a good deal of life long intergenerational welfare dependence and groups of roaming youths. Its the 11-14 year olds that you dont want to pass in the street. They intimidate with impunity knowing they are untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The problem is social welfare, this crap being entitled to more free money the more kids you have is just NUTS!
    People having more and more kids for the $$, not arsed about bringing them up properly , and if that was ever touched you'd have the do gooder scum parties like Sinn Fein kicking up a fuss , so that will never change.

In Spain you just don't have gangs of teens roaming the streets terrorizing people, - coincidentally they don't have child welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    media would tear them to pieces , accuse them of being the dreaded " right wing " and remind them that " inequality " was behind every single aspect of bad behaviour , they might even use the word " divisive "

The power of traditional media is waning - not sure RTÉ and the indo carry as much sway these days

Jizique wrote: »
    The power of traditional media is waning - not sure RTÉ and the indo carry as much sway these days

social media ( likes of twitter or the most listened to podcasts ) commentary in ireland is even more left wing than RTE which is saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The problem is social welfare, this crap being entitled to more free money the more kids you have is just NUTS!
    People having more and more kids for the $$, not arsed about bringing them up properly , and if that was ever touched you'd have the do gooder scum parties like Sinn Fein kicking up a fuss , so that will never change.

In Spain you just don't have gangs of teens roaming the streets terrorizing people, - coincidentally they don't have child welfare.

It is a matter of historical record that the Gardai put far more effort into destroying COCAD than they ever did into attacking the drugs trade.

They did this because COCAD was a Sinn Fein front.

Sinn Fein are not in power and have never been in power. The problem is not Sinn Fein it is the police. Our police are lazy ,stupid and useless.

I read that 600 Gardai a year are injured on duty. How many of those fell over tying their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    social media ( likes of twitter or the most listened to podcasts ) commentary in ireland is even more left wing than RTE which is saying something

Take solace that Twitter is a echo chamber , the same couple of thousand follow and retweet each other, it is less than 1% of the population, and the podcast are listened to by a similar amount.
    The media are lazy and need filler for their websites to generate ad views, they are constantly reporting on Twitter drama, this distorts how widespread these view points are, it has no correlation to the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

No wonder increasing numbers of civilised people are deciding not to have kids.

Or if they do, no wonder they'd rather put up with long commutes than buy houses for the same price in some of the areas mentioned.

Pity, as these estates are actually well located and very well built in a lot of cases (ex-council houses built in the 50s from poured concrete . Ideal for two-child families)

Just like drug and alcohol degeneracy is ruining Dublin city centre, feral teenagers are ruining housing estates inside the M50.

Has little to do with inequality. There are lots of opportunities through online training and various government supports to live a dignified life with some character. But the social welfare system rewards bad behaviour and is no longer fit for purpose for the times we live in.

/ End of rant .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement