Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

da_miser wrote: »
    Take solace that Twitter is a echo chamber , the same couple of thousand follow and retweet each other, it is less than 1% of the population, and the podcast are listened to by a similar amount.
    The media are lazy and need filler for their websites to generate ad views, they are constantly reporting on Twitter drama, this distorts how widespread these view points are, it has no correlation to the real world.

I never read about twitter drama in the Irish Times or the Sunday Business Post. Maybe occasionally in the Phoenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Maybe I'm being presumptuous but would most of these reprobates live in council housing or at least some sort of subsidised housing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

The Boardwalk.

Laneways.

Neither of these places are O'Connell St.

Your post implied open air drug dealing a few metres from where Gardai are constantly positioned outside the GPO.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.

you're clearly not paying enough attention. Spend a few hours in town each day to observe. you will clearly see the issues he refers to. If you were to place a 2km ring around the area, you will quickly recognise that some of Dublin's most deprived areas are clustered here. there was a video of an organised bare knuckle fight on the street last year. it took gardai 10 minutes to turn up. it is becoming a joke and all the people disagreeing can keep their heads in the sand. they'll be crying in about a decade, when our soft policy comes back to bite us bad. for the record i live in Ballybough. Dublin is a safe enough space, where i've probably got one bit of abuse in 5 years (i'm a big enough lad who looks rough or so i've been told so who knows), but there is an edge to it growing, year on year. and imo we will hit serious problems for all the reasons discussed.

the situation in Portmarnock if reported correctly is an absolute ****ing disgrace. the fact no arrests were made is just disheartening. and the coo lock station video makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SoSolidFool

Niallof9 wrote: »
    you're clearly not paying enough attention. Spend a few hours in town each day to observe. you will clearly see the issues he refers to. If you were to place a 2km ring around the area, you will quickly recognise that some of Dublin's most deprived areas are clustered here. there was a video of an organised bare knuckle fight on the street last year. it took gardai 10 minutes to turn up. it is becoming a joke and all the people disagreeing can keep their heads in the sand. they'll be crying in about a decade, when our soft policy comes back to bite us bad. for the record i live in Ballybough. Dublin is a safe enough space, but there is an edge to it growing, year on year. and imo we will hit serious problems for all the reasons discussed.

The guy is delusional in thinking there is no open dealing on O'Connell Street, you can't miss it! Any time of day, rush hour or not, guards present or not its just relentless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Yes, DCC has a serious problem with degeneracy. You won't really notice it, if like most people you come in to do your business and leave. You may see something out of the corner of your eye.

Spend some time here and it becomes more apparent. Dominic Luas stop is a good example. It's a regular place for alcos/ junkies to hang out and get wasted. The nearby lanes are their toilets and drug talking spots, with kids regularly walking past on the way to school.

For open dealing, the corner of Moore Lane and Moore Street, and the Moore St entrance to the iliac. You could also catch some of the traders ' moonlighting ' in that regard. I've seen them provide extra items alongside a bag of fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It is a matter of historical record that the Gardai put far more effort into destroying COCAD than they ever did into attacking the drugs trade.

They did this because COCAD was a Sinn Fein front.

Sinn Fein are not in power and have never been in power. The problem is not Sinn Fein it is the police. Our police are lazy ,stupid and useless.

I read that 600 Gardai a year are injured on duty. How many of those fell over tying their shoes.

ive little time for AGS , have personal experience of their corruption too , that does not in anyway excuse the culture of delinquency which is indulged by the establishment however

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Late summer last year there were reports of gangs of youth travelling on the Dart armed with sticks, batons etc. They were causing havoc at stops all along the line. The residents in these areas would ring the gardai to let them know that they had left the Dart and were frightening and menacing adults, children, local shops etc but the gardai were unable to attend as shortage of personnel or cars. It has got more menacing week on week, and to say that these youths are behaving in a feral fashion is not exaggerating.

In a large number of cases the Dart and Luas lines are their playground

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    researched by those with a left wing ideological outlook , the country was far poorer fifty years ago yet the culture of delinquency was miniscule compared to today

besides , ireland doesnt have much of a problem with inequality , social safety net is extremely robust

yes probably so, and being a proud lefty, id have to agree with these views, id be interested in seeing the research for your highlighted statement, also baring in mind, generational differences are so great, they re almost impossible to compare

thousands homeless and a public health care system with serious problems, is a sign of robustness!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yes probably so, and being a proud lefty, id have to agree with these views, id be interested in seeing the research for your highlighted statement, also baring in mind, generational differences are so great, they re almost impossible to compare

thousands homeless and a public health care system with serious problems, is a sign of robustness!

There isn't close to a thousand who are sleeping rough, "homelessness "is now a political term in this country

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    There isn't close to a thousand who are sleeping rough, "homelessness "is now a political term in this country

completely disagree, its a reality of which we re ignoring, our housing issues are becoming so serious, even well educate professionals are struggling to get access to the market, the so called free market is failing to provide us with all our needs, in particular our most critical of needs

• Advertisement

There is homelessness....and then there is sleeping on the streets as a result of some very poor life decisions usually surrounding drugs and criminality. Even still, there is the opportunity for social housing in low demand areas. If you have any sort of capacity to make an informed decision, you can choose to live outside of high housing demand areas and start to rebuild your life with the available social supports.

Regarding the public health system...again we're back to drug and alcohol dependency. According to the medical profession, 70% of medical illnesses - or demand on HSE - is caused by poor lifestyle..which means food, drugs and alcohol. That is an astonishing figure.

It's not that we shouldn't have empathy where it is appropriate. But bottomless empathy is not a productive policy in the medium/ long term. That much is very clear from the posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've worked with some of these people and there's a real sense of hopelessness that feeds into a jealously of other people and what they have managed to attain. No matter if the person has worked their arse off to get it or been raised with a silver spoon, they can't see the difference. They think the world owes them something.

I've seen a change, even ten years ago people would want to better themselves and were willing to work for it. The entitled were a minority. Now it seems most people are the latter and anyone who wants to genuinely make a good life for themselves through education and hard work is seen as a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Have kids, go homeless, get house for life with all the trimmings.

This whole homeless scam needd to be called out but not one politician has the balls.

So it's more free houses for anyone who calls for one.

SF in power soon.

Good luck.

Don’t necessarily disagree with you on the “homeless” scam.

Mainstream media, charities and welfarism have a lot to answer for that.
    FF/FG are happy members of that brigade also when it suits them.

(Also, it was ‘housing’ - working people unable to afford rents that helped SF, not the work shy with free houses)

However, this BS that SF or left wing parties are going to soft on crime is nonsense.

Could they be any worse!?

FF/FG pick Gardaí commissioner’s who do their bidding - attacking opposition, political policing - and not the people’s.

After all, FG membership do not live in Darndale.

Secondly, judges and the legal aid industry in Ireland are linked to FF/FG/Lab, not SF or PBP.
    When is the last time you heard a judge was in the youth wing of SF in UCD?

So, idiots who think constantly voting for suits are deluded if they think anything will change
    re : crime, since it has not in the last 5 decades.

Biker79 wrote: »
    There is homelessness....and then there is sleeping on the streets as a result of some very poor life decisions usually surrounding drugs and criminality. Even still, there is the opportunity for social housing in low demand areas. If you have any sort of capacity to make an informed decision, you can choose to live outside of high housing demand areas and start to rebuild your life with the available social supports.

Regarding the public health system...again we're back to drug and alcohol dependency. According to the medical profession, 70% of medical illnesses - or demand on HSE - is caused by poor lifestyle..which means food, drugs and alcohol. That is an astonishing figure.

It's not that we shouldn't have empathy where it is appropriate. But bottomless empathy is not a productive policy in the medium/ long term. That much is very clear from the posts on this thread.

most addictions problems stem from underlining complex issues/disorders, many, if not most would be undiagnosed, therefore untreated. our social systems, i.e. health care systems, social welfare systems, educational systems, legal systems etc etc, are not picking up on or dealing with these underlining issues, many of which are diagnose-able from an early age. these people need professional help from an early age, and many for the remainder of their lives, in order to be appropriately dealt with, these services effectively dont exist

SF coming into power will be a disaster.

The Gardai will be even more hamstrung. .

Who hamstrung them in the first place?

Who keeps useless corrupt Gardaí, and promotes them?

If the Shinners demanded tougher sentencing, better (actual) policing - they’d be attacked by some gummy blue shirt youth and ten Sindo columnists as “Stalinists”

An elected mayor with powers that extended to control the Guards in Dublin or hell set up a dedicated Dublin metro police.

Would mean he/she would be free from any party political considerations and could clean up the city. A zero tolerance heavy handed approach to scobes would work. While leaving the working law abiding public alone.

Anyone running on that platform would waltz in. Worked in NY with Giuliani.

As I recall Ruth Coppinger blocked the directly elected mayor motion as she wanted a payoff for Fingal.

Even if the mayor could publicly hold Gardaí to account for their lack of policing, excuses and general waffling about city centre policing it would be a start.

It would provide a template for elsewhere.

most addictions problems stem from underlining complex issues/disorders, many, if not most would be undiagnosed, therefore untreated. our social systems, i.e. health care systems, social welfare systems, educational systems, legal systems etc etc, are not picking up on or dealing with these underlining issues, many of which are diagnose-able from an early age. these people need professional help from an early age, and many for the remainder of their lives, in order to be appropriately dealt with, these services effectively dont exist

I have a lot of respect for left-leaning views because I know they mean well.

But there is no excuse in the country we live in today, with all the available supports, for cultural degeneracy. None at all.

I personally believe a lot of mental health disorders arise from poor lifestyle...not some complexities that arise out of limited ( but still plentiful ) circumstances. We all have problems in our lives and we have to get on with them.

Poor character is the root cause of all this stuff.

The science backs me up on this. Even the poorest people today have access to a lifestyle that only the richest could afford 50 years ago.

There is no such thing as poverty in Ireland, in 2020. Only poor decisions.

But there is no excuse in the country we live in today, with all the available supports, for cultural degeneracy. None at all.

I personally believe a lot of mental health disorders arise from poor lifestyle...not some complexities that arise out of limited ( but still plentiful ) circumstances. We all have problems in our lives and we have to get on with them.

The science backs me up on this. Even the poorest people today have access to a lifestyle that only the richest could afford 50 years ago.

you should probably do a bit more research into mental health issues, i suffering from them myself, being autistic with dyslexia, would mean, its actually genetically passed on! have i made poor lifestyle choices, damn right i have, but spending most of my life undiagnosed would answer a lot of that. supports for such issues, you must be fcuking joking!

be interested in seeing this 'science'!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I worked with a South African woman a few years ago, in the absolute height of the recession here.She was only in Ireland about 6 months, and was very much from the white, wealthy side of the tracks in South Africa....had come from a high paying job there.(long story as to why she was here, not relevant here).

Anyway she came to me one day totally bewildered and said that she lived in a part of Dublin where there were a lot of unemployed (she was out near West dublin somewhere).She was very confused because she could not understand how come they had no jobs, but were still wearing expensive clothes with labels all over them, all had houses, and mobile phones and huge TVs in their houses?(she had noticed while out walking in the evenings).She couldn't figure out why they had no jobs yet could afford all this stuff.

Because in SA if you have no job, you have absolutely nothing.No house, no food,nothing.

I have to say, it really made me stop and think about what we take for granted here...and whether that is good for people or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭blackbox

I mostly agree with you but there are some children living in poverty and it's not as a result of their own decisions.

There should be more direct provision for these children rather than handing cash to their selfish parents.

• Advertisement

you should probably do a bit more research into mental health issues, i suffering from them myself, being autistic with dyslexia, would mean, its actually genetically passed on! have i made poor lifestyle choices, damn right i have, but spending most of my life undiagnosed would answer a lot of that. supports for such issues, you must be fcuking joking!

be interested in seeing this 'science'!

Good man. Plenty of programmers are on the spectrum and remain productive human beings. Can't think of any instances of autistic people ruining peoples lives through criminal behaviour.

I won't provide a deluge of information in support of my last point but you can read this book, where Pinker has already reviewed all the evidence.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/14/enlightenment-now-steven-pinker-review

blackbox wrote: »
    I mostly agree with you but there are some children living in poverty and it's not as a result of their own decisions.

There should be more direct provision for these children rather than handing cash to their selfish parents.

I should have prefaced that point with poor decisions made by adults. Obviously children are not too blame for their circumstances. Their parents are 100% to blame for this.

So - poor decisions by adults. Despite an abundance of information available on how to make good decisions ( or decisions that aren't terrible ).

Good man. Plenty of programmers are on the spectrum and remain productive human beings. Can't think of any instances of autistic people ruining peoples lives through criminal behaviour.

I won't provide a deluge of information in support of my last point but you can read this book, where Pinker has already reviewed all the evidence.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/14/enlightenment-now-steven-pinker-review

world renowned clinical psychologist, and autism expert, tony attwood believes many of the mass murderers in america, shootings etc, are/were in fact on the spectrum. yes many people on the spectrum are indeed law abiding and successful people, but if you have not been diagnosed and treated, the probabilities start going in the opposite direction very very quickly, i suspect myself, most people on the spectrum are currently undiagnosed, therefore untreated. attwoods own son has also been in prison, prior to his diagnoses. baring in mind, other complex disorders are common amongst prison population, not just developmental disorders and learning disabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

shesty wrote: »
    I worked with a South African woman a few years ago, in the absolute height of the recession here.She was only in Ireland about 6 months, and was very much from the white, wealthy side of the tracks in South Africa....had come from a high paying job there.(long story as to why she was here, not relevant here).

Anyway she came to me one day totally bewildered and said that she lived in a part of Dublin where there were a lot of unemployed (she was out near West dublin somewhere).She was very confused because she could not understand how come they had no jobs, but were still wearing expensive clothes with labels all over them, all had houses, and mobile phones and huge TVs in their houses?(she had noticed while out walking in the evenings).She couldn't figure out why they had no jobs yet could afford all this stuff.

Because in SA if you have no job, you have absolutely nothing.No house, no food,nothing.

I have to say, it really made me stop and think about what we take for granted here...and whether that is good for people or not.

Yet we have opposition parties and Facebook warriors every day telling us Ireland is a cesspit and the government don't care for its citizens.

We are spoiled as a nation and don't realise how good we have it.

Its all want want want, take take take.

Selfish arseholes.

world renowned clinical psychologist, and autism expert, tony attwood believes many of the mass murderers in america, shootings etc, are/were in fact on the spectrum. yes many people on the spectrum are indeed law abiding and successful people, but if you have not been diagnosed and treated, the probabilities start going in the opposite direction very very quickly, i suspect myself, most people on the spectrum are currently undiagnosed, therefore untreated. attwoods own son has also been in prison, prior to his diagnoses. baring in mind, other complex disorders are common amongst prison population, not just developmental disorders and learning disabilities

With all due respect, given a choice between fetishizing 'complex disorders' ( which always seem to maintain a status quo that suits health professionals ), or giving someone a kick up the hole and telling them to harden up, I know what I'd choose.

But that's just me.

With all due respect, given a choice between festishing 'complex disorders' ( which always seem maintain a status quo that suits health professionals ), or giving someone a kick up the hole and telling them to harden up, I know what I'd choose.

But that's just me.

you can kick them all you want, very few criminals show signs of rehabilitation post prison, you could treat them harsher all you want in that system, they probably wont change or give a fcuk, but if you try treat any complex issues they have at as an early age as possible, you might just prevent them from entering the world of criminality all together, prevention is better than cure, and cheaper to

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Benefits get cut all the time. Your future pension gets cut for example.

Apologies for not being more succinct. I'm addressing specifically long term social welfare dependant spongers who have no intention of working and contribute nothing. Can you at least concede that welfare reductions should be in place for these cretins.

Apologies for not being more succinct. I'm addressing specifically long term social welfare dependant spongers who have no intention of working and contribute nothing. Can you at least concede that welfare reductions should be in place for these cretins.

they d hardly move into criminality, if theyre not already there, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This thread really validates my problem with the left-right dichotomy and why I think it has no use anymore, we have to assign everything to one side or the other. You can be tough on crime AND deal with poverty, in fact, they're complimentary. You can deal with the gang problem and not be racist. Passing off the responsibility for the problem to 'the other side' is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

armaghlad wrote: »
    Bring back the ra

Elements of that mob were the first to bring drugs into the country, where do you think the drug gangs of the late 1990s got their guns from ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement