Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongoing Issue of Feral Youths Running Amok in Dublin

Options

Comments

BakingSoda wrote: »
    My uncle lives down in Celbridge. He said that back in the early 90s they used to get problems from west Dublin lads causing trouble in their town every week so one night he gathered up a massive group of locals and when the Dub gang came they beat the **** out of them and chased them out. He said they never came back after that.

My parents told me that when I was a kid a fat man came down the chimney and gave me presents

Total nonsense. Cocad were destroyed because of their ira links.

The garda are much more involved with drug importation than the ira.

Any rebuttal Randy Arche?

You really are the gift that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Buck_rodgers

Accelerationism should be welcomed.
    Things have got to get worse before the population demand change.
    The do gooders will see that nothing happens to these feral youths currently, so bring on more chaos and the change in public attitude to dealing with these scum bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Just saw that coolock Garda station video - blood f*cking boiling!!!

"underage child" .. would ya feck off!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Can we not just go the US way, make guns legal and just shoot them? Would reduce the cost of these kids on social in the future as well

Two birds with the one....well bullet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Can we not just go the US way, make guns legal and just shoot them? Would reduce the cost of these kids on social in the future as well

Two birds with the one....well bullet
    Guns are legal in this country and we have strict laws around licencing one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Guns are legal in this country and we have strict laws around licencing one .

An Uzi?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Redgirl82 wrote:

I'm sure we d have no bother reducing the amount of guns after the fact then, maybe we should reduce social safety nets also, reduce dole, etc, increase the availability of drugs, and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Free legal aid provides legal welfare for underemployed solicitors and barristers who can't get good work on merit.
    The system is rigged. The legal system would decline if legal aid wasn't there (or if tougher sentences were enacted - hence you have lads with 50+ previous convictions)

No wonder there was such appetite to bestow ethnic- sacred cow status upon travellers

Cash cow for solicitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Free legal aid provides legal welfare for underemployed solicitors and barristers who can't get good work on merit.
    The system is rigged. The legal system would decline if legal aid wasn't there (or if tougher sentences were enacted - hence you have lads with 50+ previous convictions)

When the Central Criminal Court opens back up, I'd recommend taking a visit someday. It's astonishing the amount of activity that plays out there on an average day.

I served on a jury there a few years ago, and the first thing that struck me about the place was the sheer volume of activity. The central atrium was like a busy airport.

I'll never forget the bizarre sights of barristers/ solicitors speaking earnestly with scrotes and junkies - some still off their faces, some staggering around outside the ground floor court entrances - in a sort of weird co-dependency.

It's no exaggeration to say it is truly an eye-opener. Each party needing each other to game the system, and get paid for their chosen careers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

batman_oh wrote: »
    At 5am maybe. Or you don't know what junkies look like. I work in the city centre and it's nearly impossible to go anywhere around Dublin 1 and most of Dublin 2 (temple bar etc) without seeing hordes of them

No it isn't. That is simply blatant hyperbole, which Irish people are very fond of on the internet.

Junkies and dealers are concentrated on the boardwalk, at Talbot St, at Merchants Quay and the Wood Quay offices.

To imply open heroin dealing and abuse is rampant on O'Connell St, Temple Bar or Grafton St is a blatant lie.

I read a comment on The Journal where someone claimed that residents of Portmarnock were prevented from walking the streets because of crime there.

Portmarnock has 20,000 people in the wider area.

Two people were assaulted. Two. There's areas of Chicago with 20,000 people that wouldn't go a fortnight without a murder.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Anyone walking through the North City centre today? The place is teeming with junkies and alcoholics. Plenty of cops about aswell as there is a merry band of lunatics protesting outside the GPO.

What an absolute **** show.

I walked all the way from Fairview to the bus stops beside Fitgerald's pub yesterday.

Some surprisingly young dishevelled looking boys walking near the flats at the five lamps, looked like chronic alcohol and drug abusers despite their young years, had that vocal drawling about them. Probably heavy on the benzos zimmos etc.

A few young lads on bikes who appeared to be dealing on Sean McDermott street.

The permanently stationed Garda car outside the Hutch home on Champions Ave.

O'Connell St- largely deserted, save for the lunatics at the GPO who had about eight Gardai observing them from a distance.

Post apolocyptic zombie rating for O'Connell St- 0/ 10. Not a junkie to be seen, or many other people for that matter. I saw nothing on my long walk to cause me to doubt the state of Irish society.
    Not sure I ever walked through the middle of Sydney and didn't see some screaming half naked meth addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Political parties calling for areas of social housing to be built again should look at Darndale.

No it isn't. That is simply blatant hyperbole, which Irish people are very fond of on the internet.

I've been living here for 20 years and what he says is true.

The North Inner City has a large portion of chronic addicts and ner-do-well types. At times, it makes life very hard for normal people with normal lives.

I'm in the process of collecting evidence on this for a local TD, I can share it publicly when it's complete.

Political parties calling for areas of social housing to be built again should look at Darndale.

Why? I'm sure there are privately built estates down the road that have three families of schwars on one street as part of the HAP scheme. Social housing needs to be built. These eejits will find each other regardless of where you house them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

You want one of those water canon yokes. Just drive it in and drench em completely.

Biker79 wrote: »
    I've been living here for 20 years and what he says is true.

The North Inner City has a large portion of chronic addicts and ner-do-well types. At times, it makes life very hard for normal people with normal lives.

I fully agree that it does. I just mentioned I saw open dealing going on on Sean McD st. Circa 4% of the inner city population are reckoned to be heroin users, although remove the Brazillians etc from the population the percent of Irish residents using would be much higher.

However it is disingenuous in the extreme to portray O'Connell St as some sort of dangerous, lawless wasteground. It simply isn't true, no matter how much the misery merchants wish it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'll never forget the bizarre sights of barristers/ solicitors speaking earnestly with scrotes and junkies - some still off their faces, some staggering around outside the ground floor court entrances - in a sort of weird co-dependency.

It's no exaggeration to say it is truly an eye-opener. Each party needing each other to game the system, and get paid for their chosen careers.

Excellent post that I think sums up part of why we have this current situation. I believe the current legal system doesn't want change for the better as it will stop the free legal aid gravy train.

I know of a guy I was in college with who became a barrister and was living in a big house in Blackrock by his early thirties. He'd laugh and say members of the travelling community were his lifeblood and they kept him I'm steady business. I know we're taking about a different client group here, but once I saw the co-dependency I realised the lawyers were a significant part of the obstacle to improved quality of life in crime-ridden parts of society.

I consider this a disgraceful set of affairs. Those who make money from the system live neatly isolated lives. Those who are victims of it have almost no chance to escape or enjoy meaningful protection from the law.

I fully agree that it does. I just mentioned I saw open dealing going on on Sean McD st. Circa 4% of the inner city population are reckoned to be heroin users, although remove the Brazillians etc from the population the percent of Irish residents using would be much higher.

However, it is disingenuous in the extreme to portray O'Connell St as some sort of dangerous, lawless wasteground. It simply isn't true, no matter how much the misery merchants wish it was.

It's not a lawless wasteground, but there is frequently a bad vibe to the place, due to some of these types that spend their days hanging around on it.

The North Inner City is actually a great place. Lots of cafes, cultural options, restaurants....close to transport. However, it is incredible how a relatively small number of people ( although their numbers are way too high for a developed country, and a small city ) can ruin the tone.

It's not a lawless wasteground, but there is a frequently a bad vibe to the place, due to some of these types that spend their days hanging around on it.

Nope. Never felt an unsafe atmosphere on O'Connell St. The Roma gypsies hanging around begging bring down the tone of the place in recent years, but generally speaking there is nothing you would regularly see there that would shock you or have you fear for your safety.

This idea that some are peddling here, that it is impossible to walk down it without seeing drug deals, muggings and dead bodies, is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Two things;

If the punishment is swift enough and vicious enough crime stops. See Saudi Arabia. But that applies to you too so dont complain when your wife is beaten for not going out without a bag over her head or your husband is chopped up in the embassy for writing an article. Be careful what you wish for

As a general rule the more you give people (particularly love and hope) the better they are. Mass dumping of dysfunctional impoverished people in compounds of despair always produces rage and self destruction. To solve this problem the "haves" have to share their actual living space with the "have nots" rather than dumping them out in Darndale with each other and a couple of hundrrd euro to buy chips

• Advertisement

Nope. Never felt an unsafe atmosphere on O'Connell St. The Roma gypsies hanging around begging bring down the tone of the place in recent years, but generally speaking there is nothing you would regularly see there that would shock you or have you fear for your safety.

This idea that some are peddling here, that it is impossible to walk down it without seeing drug deals, muggings and dead bodies, is hilarious.

I never said unsafe. Weirdly, there is hardly ever any issue with violence etc, unless its between gangs or inter-junky/scrote conflict.

It's perfectly safe to walk up and down. Just a downtrodden delinquent eyesore at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why?

What political parties are looking to replicate Darndale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Truthvader wrote: »
    Two things;

If the punishment is swift enough and vicious enough crime stops. See Saudi Arabia. But that applies to you too so dont complain when your wife is beaten for not going out without a bag over her head or your husband is chopped up in the embassy for writing an article. Be careful what you wish for

As a general rule the more you give people (particularly love and hope) the better they are. Mass dumping of dysfunctional impoverished people in compounds of despair always produces rage and self destruction. To solve this problem the "haves" have to share their actual living space with the "have nots" rather than dumping them out in Darndale with each other and a couple of hundrrd euro to buy chips

Asking for an end to unlimited suspended sentences and unlimited dole for work shy scroungers is not the same as asking for a totalitarian state.

Typical far left response - offer no solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Asking for an end to unlimited suspended sentences and unlimited dole for work shy scroungers is not the same as asking for a totalitarian state.

Typical far left response - offer no solutions.

Think you misunderstand point. No problem with long and instant sentences. A large part of the crime problem is that the same people commit the same crimes again and again. No-one with over five convictions should be walking the streets at all BUT if your life is so **** and your options so limited that you cant aspire to more than a €100 Gucci baseball cap a trip to Mountjoy is not really much worse than your home life so its not a deterrent at all. Unless people have something to lose or some stake in society they wont be capable of caring

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful day today, I'd be surprised if there isn't another marauding gang story in the news later on today. Let's hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All kicked off in Cork last night. Judging by Footage online, hard to say if it was 70 youths but 20 to 30 anyway

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0524/1140285-cork-fight/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm sure there are plenty of lessons learned from Darndale, Ballymun, Ballyfermot etc, that would be implemented on any new projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

boombang wrote: »
    Excellent post that I think sums up part of why we have this current situation. I believe the current legal system doesn't want change for the better as it will stop the free legal aid gravy train.

I know of a guy I was in college with who became a barrister and was living in a big house in Blackrock by his early thirties. He'd laugh and say members of the travelling community were his lifeblood and they kept him I'm steady business. I know we're taking about a different client group here, but once I saw the co-dependency I realised the lawyers were a significant part of the obstacle to improved quality of life in crime-ridden parts of society.

I consider this a disgraceful set of affairs. Those who make money from the system live neatly isolated lives. Those who are victims of it have almost no chance to escape or enjoy meaningful protection from the law.

remember the jewish lawyer in The Wire ? , he perfectly encapsulated the way the legal profession feast on criminal infested poverty stricken areas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And let's not forget the customers of Middle Ireland looking down their noses at the scum that they bankroll.

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin since 1993. The north inner city has always been rough, with more than its share of junkies & criminals.
    But one thing is guaranteed, it IS impossible to walk down O Connell St without seeing drug deals & junkies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement