Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall vents and noise

• 22-05-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I was wondering has anyone successfully decreased outside noise coming in via their wall vents?

I had thought the noise was mainly coming from the windows so we had them replaced with triple glazing and that did help but it is clear now that the noise comes from the vents. We are fairly near a main road so traffic can be noisy at the best of times.

It's basically an internal and external vent covering with a hole punched through the cavity block.

Not concerned about any other room but the two front facing bedrooms.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've suggested "black hole" vents here before, not out of personal experience but because I think anything has to be better than just having a big hole in your wall:

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/anti-draught-black-hole-ventilator-bm725-brown-outer-cowl.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

PCros wrote: »
    I was wondering has anyone successfully decreased outside noise coming in via their wall vents?

I had thought the noise was mainly coming from the windows so we had them replaced with triple glazing and that did help but it is clear now that the noise comes from the vents. We are fairly near a main road so traffic can be noisy at the best of times.

It's basically an internal and external vent covering with a hole punched through the cavity block.

Not concerned about any other room but the two front facing bedrooms.

TIA.

I had the exact same problem but thankfully didn’t have to fork out on triple glasing. I plugged the vents in the front 2 rooms. There’s no open flued appliances in either room. Made a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

We blocked our vents and got triple glazing with the vents built in, game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem but thankfully didn’t have to fork out on triple glasing. I plugged the vents in the front 2 rooms. There’s no open flued appliances in either room. Made a huge difference.
    hots wrote: »
    We blocked our vents and got triple glazing with the vents built in, game changer.

How did you plug the vents as such?

I’m thinking expanding foam would work well.

Yeah exactly that, and then plaster over and paint. Our vents were a joke, we had a shoeboxed sized hole going straight to the street for our living room one. And then one with no hole going through at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Im having similar issues, but more about the noise going out! Right into the neighbours bedroom window. Duct for the hob and an air vent, both problems. If I use expanding foam the duct will back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 spiller9020

When i was building my own house i had installed vents that had a foam insert that prevented the outside noise. Cant remember exactly the manufacture of these vents but they are out there.

Does the house not get very hot and stuffy in the summer with the vents blocked up?

Just took cover off to show you, works great!

The Nal wrote: »
    Does the house not get very hot and stuffy in the summer with the vents blocked up?

Open the windows :-p

It’s probably really one vent in want to block up so the rest are fine.

• Advertisement

if you open a window does this not allow more noise to enter the room?

if you open a window does this not allow more noise to enter the room?

And burglars

:):):):):)

Nah the window ones we have installed now are great, bathroom, kitchen and bedroom ones are open all the time, the rest closed most of the time.

I'd open the windows in nice weather though or when we're cleaning or something

The Nal - just look up some of these wall vent acoustic products online and you will be surprise in the noise reduction you can achieve. Amazon have a a lot of these products.

Relatively cheap like the pic below, fits in the standard 4'' wall duct

Im essentially after sound proofing for vents if that exists?

The Nal - just look up some of these wall vent acoustic products online and you will be surprise in the noise reduction you can achieve. Amazon have a a lot of these products.

Do they actually work? Just foam with holes in it...

Cheers they look interesting. Also saw a Duct Silencer which is something I'm after.

Foam is used in most sound applications, e.g foam over a microphone to prevent wind noise, use in studio's to prevent echos and sound bouncing off walls...etc etc .
    Most of the noise (maybe 50-60%) will be absorbed into the foam. Blocking vents only leads to stuffy rooms which will only introduced mold.

Hopefully they will solve your problem or maybe reduce the noise.

• Advertisement

there was another thread on here for something like an S bend duct (no idea of the name I'm afraid), the idea being that it stops the air going straight through and only allows a trickle. It's what we would have done if we couldn't get the window vents.

A lot to think about as I don't want mould and at the same time the foam inserts don't have great reviews on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever you do, don't block up the vents as instructed by some posters on here.

Ireland is a wet damp climate with alot of humidity. Your rooms need constant ventilation. Do not block them up. If you like damp and mould and respiratory issues by all means block up a bedroom vent .

The second post in is the best solution so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I narrowed my vents - took off the cover stuck in a kitchen roll cardboard insert and used expanding foam around them. Enough air coming in and took a good bit of the noise away too.

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't block up the vents as instructed by some posters on here.

Ireland is a wet damp climate with alot of humidity. Your rooms need constant ventilation. Do not block them up. If you like damp and mould and respiratory issues by all means block up a bedroom vent .

The second post in is the best solution so far.

Fair point.

Come to think of it I use the Aero 360's in the house and that gives me the answer there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

PCros wrote: »
    How did you plug the vents as such?

I’m thinking expanding foam would work well.

Did the same filled it up with fiberglass and or rockwool
    If its your own home expanding foam would work well but I live in a rented home so when I leave I have to reopen the vents what is a bit difficult if its filled with foam specially upstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Just open a window

Advertisement