Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft grey waste pipe from sink - asbestos concern

Options
  • 22-05-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I have no plumbing experience and would appreciate some thoughts on this.

We moved into our house (built in the early 50's) in November 2018 and have been slowly doing work on it. Recently the kids bashed a waste pipe from the sink that the previous owners applied a crude tape solution to a crack in it. I never really noticed the pipe before this, but it is different from the usual waste pipe in that it is grey. When I examined it, it is actually soft and almost spongy to squeeze. Thinking about it now, I'm aware that asbestos was used in downpipes in the past, however I thought these were hard like concrete. Also, where the crack is there doesn't appear to be any fibers. I've attached some pictures here.
    Is this just an old pipe? The kitchen sink it takes waste from is fairly old too. Or is this possibly asbestos and I need to act soon?

Thanks,
    Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

To my uneducated eye it just looks like severely UV damaged plastic. Can you see any section of the pipe inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murt_

Thanks Ken, appreciate the reply.

I can't really see any of the inside of the pipe, but I put the flash on my phone and took a picture up from the bottom.

I tried taking one in through the crack as well, but you can't really see anything from there.

Thanks again,
    Martin

Hang on... you probably mean inside the house. OK, will check.

OK, the pipe feeds from the U-bend in the trap and is the same grey colour inside. Interestingly it is much harder to touch on the inside.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I would be cautious from what I have seen, while I personally have never seen it go soft in this manner who knows what some chemicals, or detergents may do, it would really be better safe than sorry, as it is damaged, and needs replacement anyway, why not engage a licensed contractor for asbestos to come out and remove it, it's the only way to be sure really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement