Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal car insurance disk in pdf

• 22-05-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I got car insurance renewed by AIG (25plus broker).
    And I got a bunch of pdf files via e-mail and one of them is insurance disk.
    It says to print it out on colour printer and go with it.

Is this legit ?
    Normally I would expect a hologram sticker on disk to proof it is valid.

Any thoughts ?

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Assume it's to do with current restrictions. Not the norm but maybe contact the insurer and ask what happens in the event you were stopped and the garda queried it being on printed paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Just got a policy off kbc and zurich. Got docs posted within a few days. Id be asking for an original.
    If you got stopped you could show the email i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Been like this for years, normally they give you a choice. The one in the post is the exact same, no shiny disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Assume it's to do with current restrictions. Not the norm but maybe contact the insurer and ask what happens in the event you were stopped and the garda queried it being on printed paper.

What does your insurance company print them on? Vellum? Papyrus?

Axa allow you to download the cert and disc along with the other policy documents but you can only download the cert & disc PDF once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

For the money Im paying Id want it embossed in gold leaf not have to find a colour printer to gondo it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Thanks for all replies.
    With 25plus crowd communication is a bit awkward.
    No reply to email what so ever and call is chargeable (for bothering their agents I assume).
    I printed this one and we will see how it goes.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the Axa disc has no hologram so there's no way the Gardai could distinguish between a homemade copy produced by a half decent printer and the version you get from Axa. It's a piece of paper sitting behind the windscreen and the plastic window of the disc holder, they can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have had to print them myself a number of times over the years. Usually from axa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coylemj wrote: »
    What does your insurance company print them on? Vellum? Papyrus?

Tablets of stone here :) :pac: :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tablets of stone here :) :pac: :pac:

I always insist on the finest Mesopotamian Cuneiform inscription on pure granite. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This year was the first time in years I actually got my cert and disc in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's a size requirement and additionally there must be a green coloured edge on the disc, other than that paper is paper.

"(1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

(2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

I got my insurance documents including disk and certificate by email from its4women (a sister company of 25 plus, I think). I got a certificate and disk in the post a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There's a size requirement and additionally there must be a green coloured edge on the disc, other than that paper is paper.

"(1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

(2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print

Yea yea yea, pity they wouldn't make one that would actually fit in the holder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yea yea yea, pity they wouldn't make one that would actually fit in the holder...

exactly

I cut mine with a scissors every year to make it fit, so it's def not 85mm x 95mm when I'm finished with it......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CoBo55 wrote: »

Yes I normally buy a new holder each time, the pain just isn't worth it, lol.

Advertisement