Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces

Options
  • 22-05-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Please allow me to start by saying I am incredibly anxious at the thought of getting braces, and am genuinely a nervous wreck over the idea.

My bottom teeth are a little crowded at the front, so I have finally decided to bite the bullet and am booked in to get braces fitted on my bottom teeth in 2 weeks' time.

I've 2 questions for the forum.

1) Just how sore is the application/aftermath? My friend told me that she experienced no pain during the application or aftermath, but she did experience a feeling of 'pressure' and 'loose teeth'. I would love to hear of other people's experiences.

2) I've been told that once you have the braces removed, the orthodontist fits a bar behind your teeth to keep the teeth in place, and this permanently stays in your mouth forevermore. Is this optional? What I don't understand is, if the purpose of this is 'to prevent the teeth from moving', then surely if we follow this logic, then all people should have this in their mouth?

I would greatly appreciate your experiences/knowledge.

Thanks,
    HW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

It’s called retention.
    It’s to prevents relapse. The teeth aren’t stable in their new position.
    This is especially true of rotations which are common in lower front teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

What I don't understand is, a lot of my friends have had braces, and none of them have these bars in their mouths. Why would this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sugimomo

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, a lot of my friends have had braces, and none of them have these bars in their mouths. Why would this be?

As far as I am aware people wear retainers at night time to keep their teeth in place. They aee like metal braces you take in and out yourself. So you only wear it at night time and take them out in the morning.

Advertisement