Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to change coins into notes

• 22-05-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Not sure if this is in the right forum, please move this post if theres a more appropriate place!!
    I opened up my childhood piggy bank a while ago and it turned out I had about 35 euro in change (mostly in coppers) I want to get it changed into notes but I don't know where to have that done. I know you can do it at a bank, but I'm not sure if they're accepting coins right now with everything going on. If anyone knows how to go about this then I'd really appreciate the help!

Comments

there are machines in many shops (Tesco generally have them, often Centra too) that you can pour your coins in, it counts them and gives you a receipt to bring to the till to get cash instead. They charge a percentage of your money, though, which makes it really poor value.

I'm not sure if banks will take it off you anymore to be honest. Used to be a case of just having to bag it up in their specific bags (certain coins in certain denominations) but I have heard of a few people getting hassle when trying to give coins to the banks lately (makes no sense to me, but there you go).

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

is there a limit on how much the likes of tesco can give you for the coins?
    i have 2 tins that would have a few hundred in them i'd say and was afraid to use the machines in case they said they couldn't change it as it was too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sorptomber

there are machines in many shops (Tesco generally have them, often Centra too) that you can pour your coins in, it counts them and gives you a receipt to bring to the till to get cash instead. They charge a percentage of your money, though, which makes it really poor value.

I'm not sure if banks will take it off you anymore to be honest. Used to be a case of just having to bag it up in their specific bags (certain coins in certain denominations) but I have heard of a few people getting hassle when trying to give coins to the banks lately (makes no sense to me, but there you go).

I've only seen one of those machines and they only gave vouchers for that shop, maybe I could get it changed for cash? I'm not sure

My local bank is tiny so I doubt they'd be too impressed with me coming in with so many coins bwahahha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭thebiglad

sorptomber wrote: »
    I've only seen one of those machines and they only gave vouchers for that shop, maybe I could get it changed for cash? I'm not sure

My local bank is tiny so I doubt they'd be too impressed with me coming in with so many coins bwahahha

I have seen these machines in Supervalu recently closed off due to Covid - obviously the belief it is spread by cash.

Typically they take a decent commission off of you

My bank (which is also small) has limited times to bering in coins and then its only allowed to pay into your account.

So long as they are bagged I don't imagine they could complain,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

Think it’s almost 11% they charge and I don’t think there’s a max amount on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I noticed the coin machine in a local shop was closed/ sealed off, recently.

Get coin bags, OP, your bank or post office should have some, and check if there are specific times that bags of coins are accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I normally cash them in around Christmas time.

The machines in Supervalu were charging something like 12%:eek:

Banks were also charging to take in bagged coins or to lodge to your account

I lodged "silver" bagged coins to the local Post Office fee free, they wouldn't take any coppers. Threw the remaining coppers in the Supervalu machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

pick up few bits in tesco and go to selfscan then feed coins into it,
    they normally have a slot at front which will take hand full of change

at least you be getting full value of your coins and not giving Commission to those coin counting machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vickers209 wrote: »
    pick up few bits in tesco and go to selfscan then feed coins into it,
    they normally have a slot at front which will take hand full of change

The OP's coins are mainly coppers so he'd be standing there for quite a while pumping them in.

There's also the issue that the machine probably retains the coins in the current transaction in a holding chute in case the shopper realises he doesn't have enough money and cancels payment by cash. In which case the machine has to return all of the coins. If that is the case, there will be limited storage space in the machine for the current transaction and you may find that the holding chute fills up quickly and can't take any more coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

wally79 wrote: »
    Think it’s almost 11% they charge and I don’t think there’s a max amount on it

Yup, that's the case all right. A few years ago now, when those machines first started appearing, I went to one with a couple of containers that I thought might have about €150 in coins. Turned out it was over €250 and it took about €25 on me that I didn't know I'd be losing.

Have only used them since with lower amounts such as maybe €20 to €30 as I don't mind being down €2 or €3 for the sake of not having to bag loads of coppers. In my experience though, you don't have to spend the money in store - you can bring the print-out to the customer service desk and get cash (i.e. notes) for it.

As an aside, and can't believe nobody asked this yet - OP, if this was your childhood piggy bank, I just have to ask how old you are now, and therefore how long have these coins been sitting around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I used to bring my bagged coins down to my local and they would do a straight swap for notes. Suited them as banks would charge them to get coins. Obviously, that can't happen now and I don't see it still being a thing when they reopen, as we seem to have turned the corner on being a cashless society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

If you have a UB account you can lodge them through a machine there, not sure if all branches have it but you just pour in the coins, it counts them and gives you a docket with the value which you take to the counter and they lodge that amount to your account.

Surely some other banks have those type of machines too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

As an aside, and can't believe nobody asked this yet - OP, if this was your childhood piggy bank, I just have to ask how old you are now, and therefore how long have these coins been sitting around?

I'm sure people checked the op's post history for clues. Think you'll find op was using the same piggy bank until last year

I remember years ago my mother took an elderly recluse lady shopping in superquinn. She tried to pay for her shopping with half crowns she mistook for pound coins.

Anyway.. Those coinstar machines are great for brown coins but i usually fish out anything higher than 10c and try to get rid of them at self service checkouts, parking meters etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I counted my change jar at the start of the lockdown, had 2070 in it. Before I done it I had asked in my bank PTSB and the guy was a bit shifty about whether they would charge me for lodging it, I told him I thought about 2k and he said they might charge commercial rate at that amount.
    Theres a small shop behind my house and I know the owner from going in and he said I can give it to him and he’ll give me the cash.
    It’s all bagged properly but with cash been almost not used at the moment I’m waiting. The money was earmarked to pay for this years holiday but that’s not happening so I’m in no rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My Ulster Bank branch has a coin machine similar to the Coinstar ones, only without commission. You just dump all your coins in and bring the receipt to the counter and either cash it or lodge it to your account. I presume you'd have to be an Ulster Bank account holder to use it, but surely other banks have these machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have never seen that in AIB, where I bank myself. Would be a good thing to have all right.

Wonder what happens if you use that one but are not actually an Ulster Bank account holder? Say you throw €500 of coins into the machine and then present the receipt at the counter. They're probably not going to make you open an account there and then, and they're definitely not going to open the machine to count back out the coins you put into it to give them back to you. So chances are they'd just give you cash anyway, to get rid of you. Anybody want to try it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sorptomber wrote: »
    I had about 35 euro in change (mostly in coppers) I want to get it changed into notes

Get the proper bags in your local post office, and bag the coin. Then take it to your local shop and ask them nicely, my experience is that they always want coin. They might not take one and two cent coins, only five cent.

Get the proper bags in your local post office, and bag the coin. Then take it to your local shop and ask them nicely, my experience is that they always want coin. They might not take one and two cent coins, only five cent.

+1 If they're doing rounding, they definitely won't want 1c and 2c coins. And you're right to suggest a 'local shop' because I doubt the supermarkets want cash of any kind. Several checkouts in my local Supervalu are 'card only'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 If they're doing rounding, they definitely won't want 1c and 2c coins.

Can’t see many people having too much in 1s and 2s anyway.

salmocab wrote: »
    Can’t see many people having too much in 1s and 2s anyway.

Not in our pockets, especially nowadays with the huge shift to contactless. But lots of small coins are sitting in jars and big vodka bottles at home. So we're discussing how to get rid of them. OP's collection has c. €35 in change .... 'mostly in coppers'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Bagged some coin recently and lodged it to my account in AIB no bother, had it in the right bags and just brought ones that were full per the bag cover ie 25 in 1 euros and 5 euro in 5 cents. Seemed pretty straightforward .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

AFAIK only UB provide coin machines. Great service for community groups etc running small collections and the annual clear out of the coin jar etc.

Other institutions will probably only take complete bags of coin and then possibly only on certain days. My local CU doesn't take any coin over small change.

Other institutions will probably only take complete bags of coin and then possibly only on certain days.

+1 and some on no days at all. Excluding the ATM and lodgement machines, Bank of Ireland in Blackrock, Co. Dublin is totally cash-free.

Might be an idea to ask your local convenience store where and when they lodge their cash. Probably best to explain first why you're asking!

Advertisement