Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide... TV's Greatest Drama Character

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here we go folks, the final.

The corrupt cop takes on the Don

It's the final of the greatest TV Character (Drama Edition)

Vic Mackey - The Shield

340?cb=20090916021428

The Road So Far:

Round 1 Vic Mackey - The Shield 4 1 Walter Schweppenstette: Deutschland 83 & 86
    Round 2 Vic Mackey - The Shield 5 4 DCI Jane Tennison - Prime Suspect
    Round 3 Vic Mackey - The Shield 6 1 Toby Ziegler - The West Wing
    Round 4 Vic Mackey - The Shield 7 2 James "Sawyer" Ford (LOST)
    Quarter Final Vic Mackey - The Shield 9 3 Superintendent Ted Hastings - Line Of Duty
    Semi Final Vic Mackey - The Shield 15 4 John Locke (LOST)

VS

Tony Soprano - The Sopranos

gandolfini2.jpg?width=1000&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70&crop=16:9,offset-y0.5

The Road So Far:

Round 1 Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 5 1 Andy Renko (Hill Street Blues)
    Round 2 Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 6 2 Paulie Gualteiri - The Sopranos
    Round 3 Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 6 1 Frank Underwood - House Of Cards
    Round 4 Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 7 1 Jim Moriarty (Sherlock)
    Quarter Final Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 8 3 Arthur Mitchell aka The Trinity Killer - Dexter
    Semi Final Tony Soprano - The Sopranos 12 7 Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Voting starts now and ends at 12 mid day tomorrow, most votes wins!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Vic for all the reasons I’ve posted previously, from the 1st to last episode he’s a maniac. Amazing character and as good as Tony was we’ve had loads of wise guy characters in movies and shows. Vic is in a league of his own. I also know now to always carry a throw down gun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tony Soprano is probably the single Greatest TV Character of all-time and he paved the way for the plethora of antagonistic protagonists that came in his wake. Simply put, its down to the success of Tony Soprano that we have all the fantastic TV Dramas of the last twenty years, he changed the TV landscape as we knew it and it was finally okay for our TV Heroes to be deeply flawed and downright villains. Tony's therapy sessions with Dr Melfi alone should earn him the crown here, but then there's all the other fantastic stuff on top of that from The Sopranos that put him head and shoulders above everyone else in the competition.

James Gandolfini was superb in the role, and a talent that was taken from the world too soon. RIP James.

My vote, is obviously for, the great and iconic Tony Soprano

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Vic
    Two of my favourite TV characters ever, but Vic doesn't get the same recognition as Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I vote Mal :p

have to give a reason :D

I'm just happy Walter White didn't win.

have to give a reason :D

A true worthy Captain winner and he provides Serenity

What a beautiful final, proper TV drama has truly won here no matter the outcome of the final. (Al Swearengen was just too under the radar to win this, but y'all fückin need to watch Deadwood!)

I can't vote, it's like choosing between my loveable, sociopathic children. I'm just going to pat them both on the head and say 'Buachaillí maithe'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Vic Mackey has swept me along with him through this, he gets my vote, what a bollox.

Currently watching sopranos, both deserving winners.

Vic shades it, I will rewatch no matter how heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Tony Soprano. As good as the shield was the sopranos is the greatest and Tony would have had some dirt on vic and had him on his payroll.

Tony for the win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I don’t care. I’ve seen neither. But if we do a third place play of them Walter over John.

What a beautiful final, proper TV drama has truly won here no matter the outcome of the final. (Al Swearengen was just too under the radar to win this, but y'all fückin need to watch Deadwood!)

I can't vote, it's like choosing between my loveable, sociopathic children. I'm just going to pat them both on the head and say 'Buachaillí maithe'.

Well said, Werewolf nemesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Tony (you muda****a Soprano)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Not sure if anyone can jump in here but if allowed I'd be voting for tony soprano as mentioned the whole series transformed television and as a lead character he was phenomenal so many layers and different aspects to his life were portrayed across the series and it was just top notch tv. Glad he got to the final as in my eyes hes the greatest character I've ever seen

Vote away, even if you haven't voted before now you can have your say :D

Well said, Werewolf nemesis.

Ahaha :D

You'll probably kill me first chance in the next game we play together, but you were my hero in The Witcher! 10/10 stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tony Soprano

Cause I love Ducks too

HarmfulSourArkshell-size_restricted.gif

Cause he could be incredibly funny

tumblr_pyakw9PtKc1w7qcw3o2_500.gifv

BabyishUnitedGrunion-small.gif

Cause he didnt care if you were family or not ,Cause he was the feckin boss!

86df073e037f74c6c6ee96c335fd70cd.gif

And to anyone who says otherwise..

VhPe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't like voting against a character that I have not seen TV show yet. But, since this one could be a close one, I have to vote for Tony.

I watched The Sopranos for the first time a few weeks ago. It is one of those shows that has aged very well and prefer it over shows that came after it since ever character on the show was important.

Tony was a tough guy, but you got see his soft side with his love for animals and that episode when he was in hospital.

This just screams "I'm afraid to be judged on my vote"

Just feckin vote :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Tony because he paved the way for a new era of tv.

Tony Soprano is probably the single Greatest TV Character of all-time and he paved the way for the plethora of antagonistic protagonists that came in his wake. Simply put, its down to the success of Tony Soprano that we have all the fantastic TV Dramas of the last twenty years, he changed the TV landscape as we knew it and it was finally okay for our TV Heroes to be deeply flawed and downright villains. Tony's therapy sessions with Dr Melfi alone should earn him the crown here, but then there's all the other fantastic stuff on top of that from The Sopranos that put him head and shoulders above everyone else in the competition.

James Gandolfini was superb in the role, and a talent that was taken from the world too soon. RIP James.

I agree well said but then I think

Michael Chiklis went from Tony in The Commish to Vic Mackey in The Shield, a transformation

th?id=OIP.ivso2F94YQRhGEcJd7DVygHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=203&h=153

but I will vote Tony, iconic, one of the greats and he was the show

th?id=OIP.XkETQ_q-AdS-7GhSP2-SQwHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=304&h=172

So to summarise I vote Tony Soprano

Thanks Necro

I have to give it to Toni and the sopranos for the greatest use of a song ever in any tv show.

Why was the last verse never used, id like to know.

giphy.gif

Simply put, without the reception that Tony, and the Sopranos got when it was initially released, there would have been no Vic Mackey

Tony - cos he doesn't even let anyone wag their finger in his face

Trigger wrote: »
    This just screams "I'm afraid to be judged on my vote"

Just feckin vote :D

Who gives a bollix! If I thought people were paying that much attention I'd be doing this naked. :pac:

But yeah Trig, it don't feel right taking the easy 'no lynch' option...even if it is a very hard choice.

- Tony did what he had to do given the life he was born and raised in.

- Vic Mackey did what he wanted and could have eased off on the carnage.

So I vote Tony.

No wait, Vic.

Fúck it, definitely Tony.

Wait, I don't know :confused::(:confused::(

kitten_k wrote: »
    Tony because he paved the way for a new era of tv.

Here here Kitten. Without Tony there quite possibly would be no Vic Mackey or Walter White.

I vote Tony for that reason.

Here here Kitten. Without Tony there quite possibly would be no Vic Mackey or Walter White.

I vote Tony for that reason.

Missed ya Stu - where have you been hiding? Chasing balloons?

kitten_k wrote: »
    Missed ya Stu - where have you been hiding? Chasing balloons?

Always...forever :D

I've been lying low like a good little wolf! Looking forward to the night we can all congregate in Oscars again, whenever that may be. Hope you're keeping well Kitten.

• Advertisement

Always...forever :D

I've been lying low like a good little wolf! Looking forward to the night we can all congregate in Oscars again, whenever that may be. Hope you're keeping well Kitten.

I’m good. Yea will defo be trying to make the next Oscars meet up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Crap finalists. Neither deserve to win, a travesty of voting. I hope somehow, they both loose :D

I'll hold my vote until tomorrow, but both options suck.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Vic Mackey gets my vote.

Think hes a more layered character overall than Tony. I empathised a lot more with him anyway so he gets my vote.

For the hottest tv character some noms:
    Sofia Vergara in MF
    Anyone off Baywatch
    Jet from Gladiators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

giphy.gif

Tony because I had stopped watching TV until the sopranos happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Crap finalists. Neither deserve to win, a travesty of voting. I hope somehow, they both loose :D

I'll hold my vote until tomorrow, but both options suck.

You don't like the sopranos?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Okay, I vote Vic.

Because it's to make up for voting against him when I thought I was avenging Mal.

And because I have about a 1000% more chance of watching The Shield than The Sopranos.

And because he's going to lose anyway so good to throw him a few crumbs.

And because I can't break a habit of a lifetime (or at least, a habit of 3-4 days) by voting the same as ASLB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Vic Mackey. I would be happy with either Tony or Vic winning, they are both great characters and quite similar despite being on opposite sides of the law.

Mackey edges it for me, The Shield is the best cop show I've ever seen even though it doesn't pull any punches and can be quite hard to watch at times.

I'll vote Vic, too many fat Tony fans boys.

I love the Shield and Vic Mackey, but there is absolutely no way that he is a better Character than Tony fùckin Soprano. The man was perfectly cast it would be an incredible disservice to James Gandolfini if he was beaten by Vic Mackey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Paulie walnuts, Seth Armstrong are my choices,but since they didn't make the list,Tony S it is

Just over 2 hrs left to vote folks, currently fairly close...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not watched either show, but I would be more interested in the shield, for that reason I will vote Vic

oy1ALSq.gif

Deadline for voting is 11.59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Tony Soprano. His character and show are legendary. It paved the way for many shows that followed including the shield.

tenor.gif?itemid=4804823

The winner.....

And the GREATEST TV Drama Character ever as decided by Boardsies...

With a winning score of 12 - 8 in a highly competitive final

gandolfini2.jpg?width=1000&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70&crop=16:9,offset-y0.5

A valiantly fought final by the runner up Vic Mackey, but in the end Tony stood tallest. It was a situation always likely to happen once the demons from the greatest TV Show tournament - ie Walter White - were exorcised in the semi final.

Thank you all for contributing, be it through the initial nomination process, voting or indeed the Second Chance Showdowns.

That's it from me Tournament wise for a little bit, I've a few other things running here that need my attention namely SURLAW and a Movie Walrus to get through :D

That's some great hosting and work Necro, thanks very much for running this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

A very worthy winner.

Cheers for running the tournament Necro

Cheers Necro, good fun :)

Although it ended a bit like the final season of Game of Thrones :D

Few stats:

Interestingly... our tournament winner was only nominated once, see our multi noms below:

Character Multi noms
    Al Swearengen - Deadwood 2
    Desmond Hume (LOST) 2
    Lorne Malvo (Fargo) 2
    Omar Little - The Wire 2
    Paulie Gualteiri - The Sopranos 2
    Vic Mackey - The Shield 2
    Superintendent Ted Hastings - Line Of Duty 2
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds - Firefly 2
    Angus MacGyver - MacGyver 2
    Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad) 2
    Josiah 'Jed' Bartlett - The West Wing 2

And the rest:

Character Name
    Albert Rosenfield: Twin Peaks
    Andy Renko (Hill Street Blues)
    Arya Stark - Game of Thrones
    B.A Baracus - The A-Team
    beverly crusher (star trek next gen)
    Bill Tench - Mindhunter
    Billy Mc Bride - Goliath
    Buffy Summers (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
    Catherine Cawood - Happy Valley
    Charlie Pace - LOST
    Christopher Moltisanti - The Sopranos
    Chuck McGill - Better Call Saul
    Citizen Z - Z Nation
    Clarke Griffin (The 100)
    Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
    Dan Scott - One Tree Hill
    Danny Reagan - Blue Bloods
    Daryl Dixon - The Walking Dead
    David Haller - Legion
    DCI Jane Tennison - Prime Suspect
    Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
    Deborah Morgan - Dexter
    Dexter Morgan - Dexter
    Dr Jack Hogson - Bones
    Dr. Gregory House (House)
    Dutch Wagenbach - The Shield
    Eleven/Jane Hopper - Stranger Things
    Enoch 'Nucky' Thompson - Boardwalk Empire
    Eric Northman - True Blood
    Fiona Gallagher (Shameless US)
    Fitz (Cracker)
    Fox Mulder (X-files)
    Fran Cooney (Love/Hate)
    Frank Gallagher - Shameless UK
    Frank Pembleton - Homicide: Life on the Street
    Frank Underwood - House Of Cards
    Geordi La Forge - Star Trek TNG
    Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher)
    Gordon Cole: Twin Peaks
    Hannah Baker - 13 Reasons Why
    Hannibal lecter - Hannibal
    Harold Finch (Person of Interest)
    Harvey Spector - Suits
    Jack Bauer (24)
    Jaime Lannister - Game of Thrones
    James "Sawyer" Ford (LOST)
    Jason Stackhouse - True Blood
    Jean Luc Picard - Star trek TNG & Picard
    Jim Hopper (Stranger Things)
    Jim Moriarty (Sherlock)
    Jimmy McNulty - The Wire
    John Locke (LOST)
    John Luther (Luther)
    John Watson (Sherlock)
    jonathon kent (smallville)
    Josh Lyman (The West Wing)
    joshua (dark angel)
    Kareem Said - Oz
    Lenora Rauch: Deutschland 83 & 86
    Lion-O - Thundercats
    Lucas Hood - Banshee
    Lucy Moran: Twin Peaks
    Maeve Millay (Westworld)
    Man in Black (Westworld)
    Marc Anthony - Rome
    max guivere (dark angel)
    Michael Knight - Knightrider
    Michael Schofield - Prison Break
    Mike Donavan - V
    Miles O'Brien (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine/Star Trek: The Next Generation)
    Nidge - Love/Hate
    Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson (The Originals/The Vampire Diaries)
    Pacey Witter - Dawsons Creek
    Prince Adam/He Man - He Man and the Masters of the Universe
    Quintus Lentulus Batiatus - Spartacus
    Raylan Givens - Justified
    Reginald 'Bubbles' Cousins - The Wire
    Richard Winters - Band of Brothers
    Rick Grimes - The Walking Dead
    Root (Person of Interest)
    Rupert Giles - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Rustin Coble - True Detective
    Saga Norén - The Bridge
    Sansa Stark - Game of Thrones
    Saul Goodman - Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul
    Seth Cohen - The OC
    Sgt. Mick Belker (Hill Street Blues)
    Shane Vendrell - The Shield
    Sherlock Holmes - Sherlock
    Simon Adebisi (Oz)
    Special Agent Dale Cooper - Twin Peaks
    Spencer Reid - Criminal Minds
    Spike - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Steve Harrington (Stranger Things)
    Stringer Bell - The Wire
    Stu Redman - The Stand
    Suzanne 'Crazy Eyes' Warren - Orange is The New Black
    The Doctor - Doctor Who
    Theodore 'T-Bag' Bagwell (Prison Break)
    Toby Ziegler - The West Wing
    Tommy Shelby - Peaky Blinders
    Trinity Killer - Dexter
    Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones
    Villanelle (Killing Eve)
    Walter Schweppenstette: Deutschland 83 & 86
    Walter White (Breaking Bad)
    Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (Angel/Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
    Will Graham - Hannibal

• Advertisement
Advertisement