Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired internet speed slower than wireless?

Options
  • 22-05-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

So I installed virgin 500Mb internet today. I noticed that my PC connected via powerline adaptors was getting approx 50Mb. (I checked both cables which say CAT 5E and the adaptor is a "TP-Link TL-PA7010PKIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps")

When I rang support they changed the wifi signal from 2.5 to 5hz and had me connect with one device - my phone wirelessly. It reached 250Mb speeds. - Is this my max wifi speed as wifi halves overall speeds?

I then tried to connect directly to the router using my laptop using a cat5e cable ( I want to make sure that I'm not missing something here - the cable says "CAT 5E also verified to CAT 5") and that only gave 50Mb. I then tried using my laptops wireless and this gave approximately 50Mb. Is this laptop, Lenovo G510 bought in 2014 somehow limited in what speed it can take?

I'm a bit confused as to what can be limiting the speed. If it was something odd with house wiring/distance then I would have expected the laptop into router to show faster speeds... The only thing I can think of is that the cables are not 5E? Are there any other potential issues I may have missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Disconnect EVERYTHING from router. connect ONE computer to router directly over Ethernet cable , test

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I disconnected my phone and PC via powerline. I connected my laptop via CAT5E directly into the router slot 1. The download speed I got was 75Mbs. I don't understand why it is so much lower than my phone wirelessly?

dango wrote: »
    I disconnected my phone and PC via powerline. I connected my laptop via CAT5E directly into the router slot 1. The download speed I got was 75Mbs. I don't understand why it is so much lower than my phone wirelessly?
    Remove adapters altogether for now, test. First you need to ensure that router alone provide. Reboot router

Hey thanks for your help I appreciate it. To clarify, I removed the cable connecting the powerline adaptor into the router. so there was no connection. I disconnected my phone from the wifi. I then connected my laptop using the CAT5E cable directly from from it's ethernet slot into the router. It provided 75Mbs download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (10/100MBit/s), Broadcom BCM43142 (b/g/n = Wi-Fi 4), Bluetooth 4.0

Your laptop is capable of about 92Mb at the very best. 75 isnt unexpected.

The powerline kit you have will likely do 150-200Mb, the 1000 on the box is advertising lies.

In short, you have zero devices that can test your connection.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (10/100MBit/s), Broadcom BCM43142 (b/g/n = Wi-Fi 4), Bluetooth 4.0

The powerline kit you have will likely do 150-200Mb, the 1000 on the box is advertising lies.

Was going to ask what was laptop NIC capable of...

ED E wrote: »

Ah. So the laptop isn't fast enough nor is the powerline adaptor. That makes sense.
    My next question is, is there a way for me to get closer to 500Mbs using a wired powerline connection?

dango wrote: »
    Ah. So the laptop isn't fast enough nor is the powerline adaptor. That makes sense.
    My next question is, is there a way for me to get closer to 500Mbs using a wired powerline connection?
    you computer must have NIC that support 1Gbps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With a modern laptop youll probably get 150-200Mb.

Past that you have two options:
    A) Run cat5
    B) High end wifi (think €200)

• Advertisement

I was using my laptop to test the connection but I mostly use a wired computer located at the furthest point from the router... I don't think running Cat5 would really be feasible. Expensive wifi may be the only option. So what do I look out for in particular spec wise? Will a wifi card for the computer be very expensive too? Lastly, am I right in thinking that wifi will max out at at half the speed so approx 250Mbs?

As an update, I caved and ran some cable. The resulting speed on my desktop is 350Mb down which i'm happy with. Thanks for the help lads.

Advertisement