Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SURLAW - The SQL: Necro-Vision Presents

Options
  • 22-05-2020 8:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tsta.gif

Welcome to SURLAW - The SQL!

For the regulars who are familiar with Walrus, this is essentially the opposite, where the host picks the songs, and you lovely people in Forum Games rate them via PM.
    Then the Reveal is very much like how the Eurovision results are done. The first version was hosted by LeVar excellently, and should hopefully become an excellent addition to the many games played here on the forum by you all.... assuming you survive my choices that is ;)

How It Will Work:
    -Below I've linked to a YouTube Playlist with the 20 Songs in contention (I'll add links as well in the next posts) - apologies, I don't do Spotify but maybe someone can whack a list together ;)
    -What you have to do, is just listen to them and figure out which 10 you like the best
    -When you're ready Private Message a numbered list from 1-10 of your choices (with 1 being your favourite of the songs and 10 being your 10th favourite)
    -First choices will earn 12 points, second 10 points, and third onwards 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points respectively (just like in Eurovision)
    -Once I've closed sign ups and tallied up all the points, I'll do a reveal thread, going through how everyone ranked the songs and adding the points to the running total (again, just like Eurovision)

Why I Chose The Songs I Chose:
    -Look, I'll level with y'all. I sometimes have erm... 'questionable' taste in music (or at least in terms of the regulars here), so I really wanted to do this to see if my own choices are bearable for an actual contest.
    -You probably won't discover much new music through this one, most of the selections are relatively mainstream so for that I apologise, but it's my playlist so there!

It probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. Basically, listen to the songs here and then PM (that's Private Message for anyone joining us here for the first time) me your 10 favourites numbered 1 to 10 with 1 being your favourite.

Please send me a list of 10 songs ; it won't work if people just pick 6 or 7 and then decide they don't want any of the rest, so even if you're not crazy about all 10 songs you choose, go for 10 anyway

Here's the Official YouTube Playlist for SURLAW - The SQL....

NecroVision

Spotify Playlist

Sign ups will be open until Friday, 5th June with the reveal to be hosted sometime that weekend (6th or 7th).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Johnny Cash - The Mercy Seat

Oasis - Talk Tonight

Billy Ray Cyrus - Busy Man

Blues Brothers & Ray Charles - Shake A Tailfeather

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

Adele - Someone Like You

Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling

Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness

Avenged Sevenfold - Hail To The King

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Eminem - When I'm Gone

Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up

Shinedown - Diamond Eyes

Crash Test Dummies - Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings

Paul Engemann - Push It To The Limit

Endeverafter - No More Words

Muse - Hysteria

Jace Everett - Bad Things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I look forward to this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

woohoo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Should be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Some cracking choices here. Looking forward to listening to this given how we overlapped in LeVars one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The lack of westlife and Mariah is dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There are some amazing songs in that list :D

I think there's six songs I love, and four more I really like. I genuinely hope some of those get bumped from my top ten though, I'm here for new songs and old surprises

There are some amazing songs in that list :D

I think there's six songs I love, and four more I really like. I genuinely hope some of those get bumped from my top ten though, I'm here for new songs and old surprises

Delighted to hear this, hope you enjoy the listen anyways :D

And of course, deciding which child to reward more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Consider me signed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kolido wrote: »
    The lack of westlife and Mariah is dissapointing.

And alas against all odds, omitted :p count me in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This looks good, interesting tunes looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Spotify playlist for anyone who wants it.. bear in mind that the Blues brothers one is different so you should listen to the one above..

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/78LuN6wbkTRxuwK3Kzx43F?si=boGZlwYRRsKG1Lnmqk1GYQ

Some random 2D trivia - I lost my virginity while one of these songs was playing.

Necro wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen - The River

[/LEFT]

I choose to believe I inspired this choice with my choice for Trig's Walrus ;)
    Delighted you loved The River, I do too!
    As I said in my PM, it seems such a beautiful yet sad encapsulation of the lives of many in middle America, and contains two of the saddest lines of any song I can think of...
    Now all them things that seemed so important
    Well Mister they vanished right into the air
    Now I just act like I don't remember
    Mary acts like she don't care

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
    Or is it something worse

I think you actually might have EN, but not through Trigs Walrus. I was going back through the earlier Walrus threads to find my entries and ended up reading most of them :o

There were a few songs I noted from there that I wanted to include on the playlist, some of them weren't even entries iirc

I think you actually might have EN, but not through Trigs Walrus. I was going back through the earlier Walrus threads to find my entries and ended up reading most of them :o

There were a few songs I noted from there that I wanted to include on the playlist, some of them weren't even entries iirc

Ah, i think that was someone else, don't want to steal anyone else's thunder :p

EDIT: credit to G&R...
    The River - Bruce Springsteen; Really like the story in the intro. But the boss as he's known... whats the craic with him? He's revered as some amazing singer/song writer. I don't get him. His voice doesn't do much for me. I guess its not a bad song. Seems to be constructed very well, checks all the boxes.... but he just makes me feel meh

17th place and 2 points for
    Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i would like to partake. i like slating things

Had one listen through :)

5 songs fighting for first place
    9 safe in the top ten (I think)
    3 fighting for the last place
    8 culled mercilessly!

Have now had 3 listens and have a Top 10, just not in order yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ok have listened to them 3 times and so far

8 definites for top 10 have to decide order yet
    7 maybes toying for last 2 spots
    5 discarded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Found this cull easier BUT not as easy as I thought I would :pac:

Just finished my first listen and I think I am in the minority that I will struggle to even form a top-10 :o
    Only 4 songs that I like and another 3 that I find good enough for a top-10.
    I think I might have to go with fillers from artists that I like although I'm not a fan of the particular song in the list
    I will have another listen tomorrow morning in case any other song catches my attention.

3 entries today already, thanks to you all so far :D

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just finished my first listen and I think I am in the minority that I will struggle to even form a top-10 :o
    I think I might have to go with fillers from artists that I like although I'm not a fan of the particular song in the list
    I will have another listen tomorrow morning in case any other song catches my attention.

Sorry to hear that Irish, would still love to get your list if you can manage to get to 10 songs :D

Sorry to hear that Irish, would still love to get your list if you can manage to get to 10 songs :D

Oh for sure Necro, probably tomorrow or Monday. :)
    There was an interesting discovery for me. I have never heard one of the songs/artists and when I googled him I realised that I know him from his 2 subsequent bands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Hi,

you don't have to like the songs, just rank them.

Do a rating system, 0 - not that bad, to 10 - this could be used as torture.

Then rate the songs with that scale.

Use decimal points even, if you think a really bad on is 9 on the touture scale, and this song is a little less tortury feeling, then give this one a 8.9.

Once you have every song ranked in relation to each other, just send along the top ten. Nobody expects that you have to like all the songs in the top 10, just that those ten songs are better than the other tripe necro has made us all listen to.

Have now had 3 listens and have a Top 10, just not in order yet...

Shortly after this post, I no longer had a Top 10, I suddenly had a Top 17 again. I've since narrowed it back down to a Top 11.

It's all a lot harder than I thought. Was much easier being the host... :D

And list sent!!!
    one song climbed up a few spots after I listened to it a couple of times.

Really enjoying this style of competition. I started thinking about organising one in the future and had the idea of selecting 20 artists from 20 different countries to bring it closer to the Eurovision style - and having in mind that my list would be dominated by pop songs it would also be close to the spirit of Eurovision :D. Not sure if that would be doable, but off the top of my head I can think artists/songs I like from 15 countries so I think we might be on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

And list sent!!!
    one song climbed up a few spots after I listened to it a couple of times.

Really enjoying this style of competition. I started thinking about organising one in the future and had the idea of selecting 20 artists from 20 different countries to bring it closer to the Eurovision style - and having in mind that my list would be dominated by pop songs it would also be close to the spirit of Eurovision :D. Not sure if that would be doable, but off the top of my head I can think artists/songs I like from 15 countries so I think we might be on :)

I think that'd be a cool idea.

Advertisement