Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The finale of Lost aired 10 years ago this week. Were you a fan?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

John Locke the man was a legend

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Loved It, never missed a week, last season sucked but it was great other than that. Sawyer was so hot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

John Locke the man was a legend

His philosophical contributions to society were certainly legendary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Loved it too, they should have ended it about series 4, it just got a little too mad to follow after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

The genius of Lost was that they would have an incredibly boring episode mainly of some back story and then in the last 5 mins they would have polar bears running out of the jungle or a black smoke monster to make you desperate to see the next episode.

I don't think I could physically bring myself to watch it again.

Especially with that ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Poll added

I gave it a 9. It was damn near a perfect TV experience. Even if, in hindsight, a far from perfect show

But the weekly journey with it, and the chatter and theories on forums the days after it aired, were great and part of the overall adventure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At the time I thought the first episode was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Loved it, followed it like a religion, however never seen last 3/4 episodes. Don’t know why....Probably Darma got to me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 OneMoreBabadee

The first season was ground-breaking television and had me instantly hooked, when they announced another 5 seasons (I think?) I continued watching season 2 but got bored half way through and actually never picked it back up. Is it worth the time to watch the whole lot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The first season was ground-breaking television and had me instantly hooked, when they announced another 6 seasons (I think?) I continued watching season 2 but got bored half way through and actually never picked it back up. Is it worth the time to watch the whole lot?

Season one and parts of 2’were the best, a bit like
    Manifest now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was obsessed with Lost!!!!! Would never miss a week. Jack was my favourite but Sayer was very cute aswell.

Loved all the twists + turns every week until it got to last series + ending was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Loved it at the start and watched to the end. About 4 seasons too long though, doesn’t stand the test of time and definitely jumped the shark on a couple of occasions to pay the bills!

The first season was ground-breaking television and had me instantly hooked, when they announced another 5 seasons (I think?) I continued watching season 2 but got bored half way through and actually never picked it back up. Is it worth the time to watch the whole lot?
    Loved it too, they should have ended it about series 4, it just got a little too mad to follow after that.

ABC TV execs actually wanted a minimum of 10 seasons when they saw how much of a cash cow it was. It took loads of negotiation from the show's creators and head writers to talk them down to accepting just 6 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Wow, 10 years and my blood still boils at the mention of the finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Never actually watched it, would it be worth picking up now?

I also only saw Breaking Bad for the first time in 2018 so I tend to be a bit late to these things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The first 2 seasons were class. The 3rd was pretty good too. But it spiralled after that and became way too confusing. Take this from someone who’s rewatched the first few seasons a good few times and gradually lost interest as it goes into the last few seasons.

It seemed there was a good original concept for the show but to justify everything that was happening it really had to be a far fetched ending. Seemed like the writers made it up as they went along and the ending wasn’t the original idea at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You'd need to have acid taken to watch it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember fans over analysing everything.
    I also remember thinking it's a good job I watched by alternate means because saw an ad for an episode on rte and it ended with the final scene from that episode where someone is told they're going to die.

Open spoilers in here?

I got up early to watch the finale before going to work

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Wow, 10 years and my blood still boils at the mention of the finale.

One of the best quotes i've seen about a TV show is: "The Leftovers is Damon Lindelof's apology for the Lost finale"

Or his apology for the entire last season, depending on how you felt about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

The first 2 seasons were class. The 3rd was pretty good too. But it spiralled after that and became way too confusing. Take this from someone who’s rewatched the first few seasons a good few times and gradually lost interest as it goes into the last few seasons.

It seemed there was a good original concept for the show but to justify everything that was happening it really had to be a far fetched ending. Seemed like the writers made it up as they went along and the ending wasn’t the original idea at the start.

This really sums up the show. I loved it at start then it got more + more weird but I refused to stop watching it as had to finish it out. That + my weekly fix of Jack + Sayer!

If I had choice again probably would have stopped watching after series 2.

• Advertisement

Have never seen a second of it. Some of the lads and lassies in school were mad about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Loved watching Lost and I actually like the finale. Still can't understand how some people think the finale meant that it was all a dream/they never left the island/they were all dead from the start etc. etc.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Never actually watched it, would it be worth picking up now?

I'd say so. I've rewatched it once from start to finish, about 7 years ago, and if it landed on Netflix again I'd rewatch it again

It's a classic, ground breaking show that TV companies have been trying to emulate since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Great first three seasons- ground breaking TV!!

Then the whole
    time travelling thing
    became too confusing and they couldn't explain half the storylines they created

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I was obsessed with Lost.

I used to read transcripts of the dialogue online for any hidden clues :(

drake70 wrote: »
    I was obsessed with Lost.

I used to read transcripts of the dialogue online for any hidden clues :(

This reminded me of the many, many fan theories every week on The Fuselage forums

They were the main hangout for Lost fans, although the Lost subforum on Boards was good too

I think the old Boards one has been deleted, which is a shame. It should've been archived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I used to buy the official magazine too :) Sawyer fan here too ;)

CastorTroy wrote: »

Open spoilers in here?

It finished up 10 years ago. I think you'll be ok ;-)

Maybe we should cover really big moments and twists though

pc7 wrote: »
    Loved It, never missed a week, last season sucked but it was great other than that. Sawyer was so hot ;)
    appledrop wrote: »
    Jack was my favourite but Sayer was very cute aswell.
    appledrop wrote: »
    my weekly fix of Jack + Sayer!
    Autosport wrote: »
    I used to buy the official magazine too :) Sawyer fan here too ;)

All eye candy tastes were covered by this show

da352a9f7e8427a1eac628b223717a99--evangeline-lilly-pin-up-girls.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

th?id=OIP.gPaxFYU-utAccRO5AF8NWAHaEF&pid=Api&P=0&w=272&h=151

10 years already

It started so well but ended badly, I was Lost by the end :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can still name 9 out of the 10 people from the image in the OP which is a good sign

So many great characters, Jack (even when he was whiny), Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, then Hurley for the comedy and Locke for the weirdness, that Benjamin Linus creep, the dog.

I loved how in the first few episodes the show just knew exactly when to throw in something weird to captivate you again, even if it all comes up a bit unstuck in the end.

For anyone who likes these inter weaving plot lines I'd recommend having a look at Dark on Netflix, so far at least everything ties up and they've only one more season to go

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

First few seasons were excellent and really enjoyed all the twists and turns. It became more obvious though that they didn't really have a plan and were making most of it up as they came along. And then there was the finale ..

Is it streaming anywhere legally at the moment?

It's currently free on IMDB TV to celebrate the anniversary, but IMDB TV is only available in the States at the moment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Loved it but it did totally jump the shark.

Somewhere in the second season my mother announced "they're just making it up as they go along now" and it has stayed in our family lexicon for when something makes no sense anymore.

Also a massive Sawyer fan back in the day. I'm just eyeing the first 4 seasons which I own on DVD...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Michael Emerson will always be Ben from Lost, even though he was Finch in the brilliant Person of Interest.

One thing this show did that I dislike shows doing is
    killed off Locke but kept the actor and revealing his death ages later. Basically means a favourite died yet no one could react because we didn't know

And yeah I've had to point out to others that they weren't in purgatory the whole time,explaining the ending.

I have annoyed people by saying I didn't mind the ending to this or Got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, watched it back in the day, re-watched the whole lot a few years ago as well. Loved it from start to finish. Season 6 may not be as strong as some of the previous seasons, but I still liked it, and I really enjoyed the finale too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is it streaming anywhere legally at the moment?

It's currently free on IMDB TV to celebrate the anniversary, but IMDB TV is only available in the States at the moment

Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I absolutely loved it. Spent hours reading fan theories and I dont think a show gripped me as much until GoT came along and while they wrote themselves into a corner and certainly not the way I would like them to have gone I still think the heart of the finale and payoff was excellent.

The "We have to go back" scene I don't think I have had a bigger OMG moment watching a TV show before or since.

Characters were nothing short of excellent and I don't think any of the core cast weak or a boring (Maybe Walt).

I must give it a rewatch at some point but anyone who has not seen it I would reccomend it but just expect the quality to dip towards the end while still being good.

Must also say the fourm on Boards were an excellent group and the breakdown of each episode each week was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

ziedth wrote: »
    Characters were nothing short of excellent and I don't think any of the core cast weak or a boring (Maybe Walt.)

Walt was quite annoying. Why is there always an annoying kid in every good tv show?!

Serious lack of love for Hurley in here so far as well.

Just adding to my previous post, I’ll never forget being so captivated for the episodes when they were about to come into contact with ‘the others’ for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I seem to remember it airing first as a double episode. Thought in the first 15 minutes or so that it could be interesting. Then something far fetched happened and I knew I couldn't watch another episode where the writers would have to force an explanation. So that was it for me first episode or double only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Amazon Prime.

Now I'm tempted. Never did a rewatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Got halfway through season 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My avatar would be a giveaway that I was a fan.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The last season was largely muck but it made event TV like no other.

Moments like
    Desmond in the bunker
    Not Penny's Boat
    "We Have To Go Back"
    .. it was just hugely exciting TV.

People complain about the ending but jesus, it was nothing compared to some of the atrocities in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It was also one of the first big shows filmed and aired widely in HD . It really was a stunning looking show at the time with so much filmed on location .

Overall I enjoyed it , like any show it had it's ups and downs but mostly good with a very capable ensemble cast.

You can't talk about Lost without taking the ending into consideration. The show was all about building up anticipation through mystery and suspense without ever intending on bringing the mysteries to a conclusion. It is one of the biggest cons in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

One of the biggest letdown of a show ever. Started so well but then went to muck. Similar to walking dead in my mind. Great start then excuse the pun lost its way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I absolutely loved it, flawed and all as it was. The biggest issue with it was that it was a victim of its own success. The hype was so centred around the mysteries that they kept making the mysteries bigger and crazier, then ended up largely writing themselves into a corner and had to try explain everything. But when you put the mysteries to the side and enjoy it more for the characters, it's just fantastic.

Also one of the best episodes of TV ever in The Constant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

One of the other things I enjoyed was watching how people age.

It's all supposed to be, what, a few months, but filmed over several years, in a hot sunny place.

Characters like Kate, Claire, Sun, Jin, Boone did not appear to age at all - they were all largely in their mid-late 20s.

Jack, Sawyer, etc - in their mid-30s very visibly aged over the years.

I am the same age as Evangeline Lily: made me realise someday a new age wouldn't just be a number!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement