Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Construction postgrad courses?

• 22-05-2020 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

mid - late 20s Quantity surveyor in Dublin.

With what looks like a new construction industry recession here:

Are there any construction professionals on here who done - masters or postgrads for 1 year (couldn’t see myself doing any more than that) part time to turn to after the last downturn in 2009 onwards?

Don’t like quantity surveying at all anyway to be honest. Would rather get out of it before I’m 30 which is optimistic. Estimating pre contract & BIM interest me more.

I’d be interested to hear any recommendations on courses online or that through the universities here. I’ve looked most of them up.

Also keen to hear from construction professionals who left the industry completely and did something else :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at everything. There are construction courses you could do, e.g. project management or construction law or something more general like an MBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tool up on the energy sector

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

You think so? Is this Cos of the greens surge :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CBear1993 wrote: »
    You think so? Is this Cos of the greens surge :D

It’s because of our drive to go green.
    Renewable energy.
    Reduce carbon footprint.

The same way our Building Regulations Part L have been reducing heat loss and upping renewables over the last 20 years. We are at NZEB dwellings now. Next is passive.

Producing our own energy is the next big thing both at home and nationally.

Any recommended universities for such courses? You’d be all Filtering through all the Irish university websites.

Even better if there was online only with little to no attendance. National college of Ireland prob best for this? Or open university

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Don't get fixated on a degree or others from a UNI/etc
    neither get fixated on an urge to pay for stuff
    there is loads of free stuff out there, it what you know/can execute correctly is what matters, no how many letters you have after you Name.
    I have most of these so I can say this
    • BA: Bull added
    • MBA: More bull added
    • MBS More bulls$$t
    • PhD, piled higher and deeper.

On the energy side,
    SEAI has a range of free training for business called the SEAI Energy Academy.
    its at www.SEAIEnergyAcademy.ie

The other skill you need is to be personable with folk, develop the skill of listening FOR what they are saying.
    Its listening FOR, not to or just listening.

Finally, learn the skill of being impeccably dressed when meeting clients.
    despite what the younger gen think, turning up in a tracksuit top, jock strap and runners is not ideal.
    Its not the green surge, it needs to be done.
    Find a sustainable energy community (sec) in your community and reach out to them

I don't think the QS work is the issue, with the right sense of fulfilment, you will thrive as a QS

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for the advice.

Having previously tried to escape the construction industry completely though, I definitely think you need some sort of qualification to get you out of it. I’ll be doing a course in September to get out of it. Hopefully employers will look at my cv after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I did a Msc in Construction Project Management in Queens Belfast (Mon&Tues) 1 year a few years ago.

If its BIM you are interested in you can do a masters in that in UL now, my old lecturer from Belfast is running it down there I'm sure.

BIM is certainly the future depending on the company you end up with and is niche enough still to demand a decent salary due to the fact not many are yet qualified.

Thanks,

The issue is the full time attendance - I wouldn't be able to give up more than 1 day per week or I'd lose my job.

So unless a course ran full time in the evenings I'd ahve to look at part time which is a crap slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

A guy that did the course with me was in that situation aswell so he worked the Saturdays of both semesters. Mean he was working 4 days a week still so getting all his work done. He managed an hour or two on a Monday aswell, course started at 1pm -7pm on Monday and 9-5 on Tuesday i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

A mate of mine did a conversion course to IT if a complete escape takes your fancy. I think it was the one linked below but not certain:

https://www.gmit.ie/computer-science-and-applied-physics/higher-diploma-science-computing-software-development-ict

He was able to make it work with his construction job but it was hard work I think.

Yeah that’s what I’m after, out of the industry completely, no love for it at all.

Thanks I’ll look into them

Anyone viewed springboard website ? Courses for 2020 reopen for applications this Thurs 25th june. The courses are on a downloadable excel file at the moment which is quite annoying, very little info. Just wondering how soon they fill up as it would take a bit of the day thursday studying them, a brochure or more info on each course would be needed big time.

I logged into the online open evening and it was fairly terrible to be honest.

Tool up on the energy sector

Looks a decent one here

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/!W_HU_MENU.P_PUBLISH?p_tag=PROG&MAJR=X413

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Graduate Diploma in Sustainable Energy Systems or BSc in Energy management are the two courses on springboard, unfortunately they all require some form of attendance through blended learning. There appear to be none in Dublin vicinity at all!!

I had a friend done BSc in Clean technology about 3 years ago now and he couldn't find a job for the life of him all over UK & Ireland.

Clean technology sounds like a bit of a wishy washy one though, it was extremely easy to get into, low level entry grades.

Advertisement