Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Cork City? Do you find the streets to be very slippery in the rain?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

FrStone wrote: »
    They are a Spanish tile or something. Put down for the capital of culture in 2005. Lethal so they are.
    I heard that too that they liked the look of them from a city in Spain a country that doesnt rain as half as much as Ireland,ingenious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I heard that too that they liked the look of them from a city in Spain a country that doesnt rain as half as much as Ireland,ingenious :rolleyes:

I don't really buy that argument.
    If pavement surface is extremely slippery when wet, does it really matter if it only rains sometimes?

A surface that is slippery when wet is just as unsuitable for Spain as anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The narrow metal covers running the length of Faulkner's Lane (Opera Lane) are lethal if you step on them in the wet.

Nearly fell stepping on another one around Winthrop st. Horrible things, clueless architectural gob****ery.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

im in pana most days and when its raining people are slipping all over the place myself included a pure sh1t show in there

noticed aswell theres an influx of junkies in there lately disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I don't really buy that argument.
    If pavement surface is extremely slippery when wet, does it really matter if it only rains sometimes?

A surface that is slippery when wet is just as unsuitable for Spain as anywhere else!

Well there are for example floor tiles out there that when they get wet have been designed to dry quicker and not be as slippery as standard tiles so Id imagine there are the same types for paving.Who's to say that Spanish paving (if true) doesnt have similar mechanism for a warmer and drier country?

We should have used a different type of paving that can handle large amounts of rain and not be like an ice rink was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I was going to say no, not at all but then you mentioned the ones on Pana, yes, slippy hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I find the footpath on Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Cork City is definitely very slippery in the rain. Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippery. I always tried walking on the road instead of the footpath when it rained. On North Main Steet there is a dark border tile every few metres that separates the main paving stones and they're desperate slippy. The tiles outside the library in UCC were terrible as well, as were the steps going down to the Boole basement. They were of a similar material as the tiles outside the library. I think I lost count of how many hoppers people took on those steps in the rain. They eventually covered the end of all the steps in some kind of grit. I'm surprised nobody took a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well they still look sh1t, half the bulbs are blown at any given time too.

Blame Cork City Council for that. Town is looking shabby under their watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

YFlyer wrote: »
    Same in Limerick city near Supermacs on O'Connell street. The pavement there gets extremely slippery when wet. Almost took a hopper a few times walking by.

Bedford row that is, links O'Connell Street & Henry Street...it's so fcuking dangerous... can't believe there hasn't been an accident leading to a claim yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Completely agree! When I was in college (10 years ago) I had this one pair of boots that didn’t have great grip. Fell a few times, was always in Cork
    City and was those particular tiles. And no I wasn’t drunk, this was in the daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, I've fallen twice in the last decade or so on those when wet, and my kids loads of times. I've never broken anything, but yes, agreed they appear to be designed for aesthetics rather than functionality. It's embarrassing, and I'm still surprised they haven't sprayed a grip coating or similar on to them.

Wouldn't have been left in this state by the previous city managers, let's put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork City is definitely very slippery in the rain. Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippery. I always tried walking on the road instead of the footpath when it rained. On North Main Steet there is a dark border tile every few metres that separates the main paving stones and they're desperate slippy. The tiles outside the library in UCC were terrible as well, as were the steps going down to the Boole basement. They were of a similar material as the tiles outside the library. I think I lost count of how many hoppers people took on those steps in the rain. They eventually covered the end of all the steps in some kind of grit. I'm surprised nobody took a case.

Forgot about those ones outside the Boole library. That thing is an absolute death trap in the rain. Had to avoid that when I was in college if it bucketed.

Advertisement