Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.Eng (Hons) & M.Sc Software Engineering

Options
  • 22-05-2020 11:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I went to College from 2003 to 2009. I had to repeat my B.Eng Ord in Computer Engineering. I completed my B.Eng Hons. in Software Engineering, but failed the exams and repeats. So any way, I moved on with my career, doing fairly well for myself in IT repairs, IT/Application support, Dev Ops and Software Development.

I finished up in HP in 2015 and since then, my career has been hit or miss. Short IT Support and development contract roles. Nothing long term. In the meantime, to add to my skill set, I completed a Higher Cert in Business and Accounting, going into Accounting based roles with a heavy focus on Application Support and Development.

My last role was working with Magento 1.9.x, working on the back end, automating processes, data analytics, data gathering etc.

Getting to the point, I want to update/refresh my skills in development, with another B.Eng Honours in Software Engineering. The question however, is it worth it, to continue on afterwards and complete a Masters? I'd have the option in AIT of Software Engineering and Native Cloud Computing, Software Design with Cyber Security or a Masters in Software Engineering on it's own.

The Software Masters on it's own would focus heavily on Web Develop, Data Science and Analytics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Couldn't you just start a side project using what ever new technology you wish to lean?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The feeling of imposter syndrome and the desire to actually have a degree is what's driving me to go back. I'm simply wondering if an M.Sc would be worth it afterwards?

Did an M.Eng by research after my degree didn't help me find a job or increase my pay any, had good craic and enjoyed doing it, even with that I felt like a bit of an imposter for about the first three to four years of being a dev.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeah the thing is, I don't feel great about not having successfully completing my degree, and fear it might cause considerable set backs in my career as I get older.

If you feel like you need a degree then go for it but I don't think going any further is worth the time investment unless you intend to pursue a career in academia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Yeah the thing is, I don't feel great about not having successfully completing my degree, and fear it might cause considerable set backs in my career as I get older.

I dropped out of college in the mid-90s in 3rd year, but because I got work placement I managed to keep going. I went back in 2010 and 2012-13 to complete 3 semesters.

On a personal level it was good to do, in that it squared a circle if you like - so I get where you're coming from, and also as a mature student I'd a much better attitude than the first time around :D.

But in hindsight, my time, effort and quite a bit of money could have been much better spent elsewhere. It really didn't make an iota of difference at that stage.

The thing with being in IT is you really have to try and steer your career to keep it on track, employers are very opportunistic, and we all want to be flexible and accommodating, but you've got to be a bit ruthless at the same time to keep moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The feeling of imposter syndrome and the desire to actually have a degree is what's driving me to go back. I'm simply wondering if an M.Sc would be worth it afterwards?

Take it from me, having a Degree won't help with imposter syndrome. It won't matter how many qualifications you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Take it from me, having a Degree won't help with imposter syndrome. It won't matter how many qualifications you have.

I disagree. A degree is usually the minimum level required for most software development jobs and you won't get passed the HR filters without one regardless of the experience that the hiring manager will be looking for.

A masters might help you stand out against someone without one if all else is equal, which it rarely is. Real world professional experience would beat a masters any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

John_Mc wrote: »
    I disagree. A degree is usually the minimum level required for most software development jobs and you won't get passed the HR filters without one regardless of the experience that the hiring manager will be looking for.

A masters might help you stand out against someone without one if all else is equal, which it rarely is. Real world professional experience would beat a masters any day.

I got to echo this. Qualifications don't matter as much when the economy is growing. When things are shrinking, HR who know nothing about tech just need a legally supportable way of eliminating head count. Qualifications is legally waterproof for HR to lower headcount upon.

Back to the OP, I'd actually suggest something a bit different. You clearly already can do software, so for me personally, I think you finishing your Bachelors in software is a bit of a waste of money, and I think you'd also be bored. I think you should consider transferring the credit you accumulated in your Bachelors to a related degree in STEM, and finish that instead.

Me personally, I got a bare scraping pass for my first Bachelors in Software Engineering. I then took a second undergrad in my late twenties double majoring in Economics and Management, followed by a Masters in Business Information Systems (which was a waste of time IMHO, except for the box tick of "he has a Masters degree"). A few years later, I then took a third undergrad degree part time with the Open University in Pure Maths. I was able to skip first year entirely as the maths courses for Software Engineering and Economics are identical, so I only did the two final years of a Pure Maths degree.

I would highly recommend both choices. Economics is always useful, but Management combined with any STEM is highly career improving. I, personally speaking, found the Pure Maths degree the most satisfying of the lot - I always had questions about the why? in Maths, as I could do Applied Maths till the cows came home from the other two degrees, but I never understood why it worked. So it filled in a ton of blanks for me.

Recent self-initiated training in any higher skill always looks great on any CV, and to HR. When layoffs come round, any HR person is going to see potential law suits in laying off a person who just finished a degree in Management instead of someone who didn't lift a finger to self improve in a decade. Best of all, most larger employers will subsidise or pay for those qualifications. You just need to go ask.

Best of luck with your choices!

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm speaking specifically about an individual and their feeling imposter syndrome, not how academically qualified someone is

• Advertisement

Look into springboard to see if there is something that looks tailored to what you want.

NB I have a Comp Science degree but little actual development experience, so my imposter syndrome comes from the other angle. Your experience is invaluable bit if you feel that formal study is what would give you confidence, check the above to see if there's a route that ticks the boxes for you

Advertisement