Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade to handle 4k

Options
  • 23-05-2020 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    Im looking at wanting to change out my monitor to 4k as i want to do some photo and vid editing for my my new drone thats 4k. was wondering if i can just change out my graphics cards to something suitable for 4k.
    my rig is as follows:
    i7 4770k
    16gb ram
    2 x 7970 amd.
    Its an old build but was hoping it still good enough to go 4k without building a new rig. its all watercooled and was high end in its day.

im just trying to find out if it would be cheaper this way or just go out and buy a high end laptop for the editing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Check if your editing program can use Nvidia CUDA or NVENC.

Something like a GTX 1650 Super, GTX 1660 Super or RTX 2060/2060 Super should be able to accelerate your workflow.

Alternatively, you could get a laptop with the new AMD Ryzen 4000 mobile chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I forgot to mention i still want to game aswell on this pc

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Check if your editing program can use Nvidia CUDA or NVENC.

Something like a GTX 1650 Super, GTX 1660 Super or RTX 2060/2060 Super should be able to accelerate your workflow.

Alternatively, you could get a laptop with the new AMD Ryzen 4000 mobile chips.

will those cards fit my motherboard.. its a Z87

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes, they still use standard PCI-e 3.0 connectors.

You'll need to adjust your watercooling setup though, either removing it completely / closing off the GPU tubes, or getting a block for the new GPU (not really worth it for low/mid cards).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Might be worth just selling it and building a new one. That's a huge pain in the ass having to alter your watercooling loop, and 2 watercooled 7970's would be fairly difficult to sell so very little value returned.

If you sell the whole unit you would probably get around €400.

€1K would build you a new PC that would be significantly faster in every possible regard, and massively improved in editing or gaming.

Otherwise, depending on your budget.....if you want to actually game at 4K you'd really be wanting a 5700XT at a minimum and that clocks in at around €500.

4770K is still generally OK for gaming in most cases at 60fps though a new processor would still yield much improved results in gaming or editing.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yes, they still use standard PCI-e 3.0 connectors.

You'll need to adjust your watercooling setup though, either removing it completely / closing off the GPU tubes, or getting a block for the new GPU (not really worth it for low/mid cards).

what are your thoughts on this card... I want to keep my water cooling..
    sorry for all the questions but i have been out of the game for a while as my old build hasnt really let me down until now that i want to go 4K..
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-asus-strix-geforce-rtx-2070-super-oc-water-cooled-graphics-card-wc-198-tl.html

How would that card go for gaming in 4K?? I can up the budget a bit if I need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's mental money. Can you not just adjust the loop so it's CPU only?

You can buy a very good quality 2080 Super for less than that.

Or could buy a really good quality Radeon 5700XT like this that performs similar for £300 less.

Homelander wrote: »
    That's mental money. Can you not just adjust the loop so it's CPU only?

You can buy a very good quality 2080 Super for less than that.

Or could buy a really good quality Radeon 5700XT like this that performs similar for £300 less.

Thanks for the heads up... that card looks good for the money.. just looked at a reveiw on it and battlefield v gets around 60fps @4k so thats good enough for me.
    Closing my loop for cpu only is easy enough... i can always covert the card to WC later if its too loud.

Homelander wrote: »
    Might be worth just selling it and building a new one. That's a huge pain in the ass having to alter your watercooling loop, and 2 watercooled 7970's would be fairly difficult to sell so very little value returned.

If you sell the whole unit you would probably get around €400.

€1K would build you a new PC that would be significantly faster in every possible regard, and massively improved in editing or gaming.

Otherwise, depending on your budget.....if you want to actually game at 4K you'd really be wanting a 5700XT at a minimum and that clocks in at around €500.

4770K is still generally OK for gaming in most cases at 60fps though a new processor would still yield much improved results in gaming or editing.

Ok that makes good sense.

I could get out of it quite cheap by reusing my AX 850 psu, case and WC loop.
    All ill need is a good card,MB and ram...

Can i ask a favour. Could you spec me up good kit consisting of : cpu(i7 or what ever is current and overclockable) ram id like 32gb and a very good card. im a bit of a ROG fanboy so would like a ROG mother board. My current asus maximus formula v1 has been very good to me for the past 5-7 years... cant remember when i built it . Id like to be gaming in 4k... many thanks..

Advertisement