Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Apparently he is. In fairness he really **** the bed in his last role for them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Has he been mentioned in the previous films or have you done a spoiler for Part 2 ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Didn’t think it was much of a spoiler as he was announced as a cast member months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is a spoiler if I didn’t know the cast list :P

No harm though - it isn’t anything major.

Still Luthor better have major screen time - the fact that he has gone into hiding already tells us that he will be the one who figures how to kill the AI (unless the plan is for the heroes to lose!!) - but he better not be just showing up near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭delboy85

I'm working my way through a re-watch of the previous films (in advance of going to see the new one next week).

I love the first film. Have a real soft spot for it. Yeah, the special effects look a bit ropey now but it's such an enjoyable movie.

As for MI2, I hated it when I saw it in the cinema back in the day. Have never seen it since until this week. Wow. It is truly awful. Just as bad as I remembered. Am absolute turkey. The slow motion moments, the doves, the terrible acting, Tom's ridiculous floppy hair...

I watched MI3 today and absolutely loved it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant as the villain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bit of a mixed bag for me.

The film basically looked like a sequence of actions scenes stuck together with almost no plot or a nonsensical Mac Guffin plot. The tone was all over the place, sometimes serious, other times camp over the top comedy.

There were alot of weird scenes, shots, and editing possibly as a result of Covid filming rules. The chase scene in Rome was like a parody of previous films, the 2 goons constantly chasing Cruise was also irritating. Too many boring and overly long chase scenes.

How many times has Hunt been accused of going rogue now ? Has this man not proved his loyalties at this stage. The plot felt stale and the dialogue felt wooden.

Vanessas Kirbys character is a really annoying character, that scene in the nightclub where they were all just sitting around and growling like dogs at each other, please. Kittridges acting was over the top, really hammy, Elwes was also unconvincing.

The whole Entity threat and the Key, poorly explained alot of mumbo jumbo, not much substance.

The script is really really weak.

By far the dumbest film of the series, I didnt care that much for Grace, she was ok, it reminded me a bit of Knight and Day with the silliness of Cruise and Grace.

6.5 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Interesting comparison there at the end. I know Knight and Day isn't that well regarded, but I enjoyed it's silliness and OTT action scenes and how hard Cruise commits and leans into the jokey tone throughout. Dead Reckoning kinda fluctuated between the silly and the serious, maybe highlighting some tonal issues.

If this had been Knight and Day sequel, I think I'd have found the plot a little easier to swallow...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They'll likely give it a re-release ahead of / with Part 2 to try get a few more quid out of it. I can easily see many fans doing a double bill. It was really was a shame it has stalled the way it has because of timing. Reviews and fan reactions have all been stellar, and it clearly should have been a hit as standard. I doubt anyone could put it down to fatigue with the franchise or anything like that. They'd have done well to have brought it forward a little, or push it out to August as they saw the momentum of Barbennheimer growing.

Yes I enjoyed Knight and Day, but that was played strictly for laughs.

This was all over the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I did cringe a little early on, English speaking Russians with subtitles, really? I guess it's the default a lot of the time in Hollywood productions, or they cast Americans and British actors. I've less of an issue with this. I had heard Kermode and Mayo's effusive praise for DR and I was primed for a stunt or something potentially jaw-dropping that perhaps had been held back from the trailers or simply did something new in this genre. It wasn't to be, so I was a little bored as the train going over started to intensify. I was also hoping for a little more from Henry Czerny's warning to Hunt 'this will cost you dearly', per the trailer. It was probably there, but I forget it now amongst the green smoke! Fallout had a certain energy that flowed throughout from the Wolf Blitzer mask, to the HALO jump, bathroom fight, Lane, the moment where the police officer is shot, jumping out the window, the camp, Julia and Luther with the bomb, Ilsa fighting and the final chase. You bought into the fun, scale and dynamic and it knocked your socks off along the way. DR simply didn't have this magic, imo.

• Advertisement

English speaking Russians with subtitles? At my screening subtitles appeared for the first line and then dropped as if they realised a wrong setting was selected. They pay off the English speaking element the same way they do it in TC's film Valkyrie, where it's acknowledged that they are speaking their own language and then there is that shift to English so they don't need to do subtitles, and have non native speakers learning the language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kermode has often talked about the demise of projectionists. How does it work now, is it primarily computer based?

I saw it on Cineworld Imax which I believe is digital. Not sure if it’s a glitch that happens other times it screens there but it happened on opening night.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They were just doing the same thing as in Hunt for Red October, likely as a little homage given the setting. Establishing that it's Russian with subtitles, then switching over to English and dropping the subtitles.

They did some little camera move to cement the switch too - not the same one as in HfRO, but something similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes most cinemas these days have automated projection systems - all hooked up to a server, and then it’s all just set to start at a given time. There’d be some technicians to set everything up and trained staff to keep an eye on things in case something goes wrong, but not much more than that in a lot of places. Most films are delivered digitally, but some would still be sent on hard drives.

Only the rare places like IFI, Light House etc… would have dedicated projection teams these days.

The biggest problem is that it’s led to a decline in the quality of the experience in a lot of multiplexes. My biggest gripe is how they’ve just completely removed screen masking in a lot of screens - often the image just ‘floats’ there in the middle of a screen, with grey bars above, below and to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So now passed 450m dollars worldwide...291m dollar budget, not great usual rule of thumb is 2.5 times budget to break even so 720(ish), gonna likely lose a lot of money. Release date obviously didn't help, Oppenheimer gobbling up audience (and IMAX screens) barbie packing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If that is the box office the only MI to do worse at the box office was MI3.

And with inflation etc this is probably the worst box of the lot.

To be honest it did exactly what it says on the tin for me and what I'd want from an MI movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I will always use any mention of that scene to share it: it's one of my all time favourite "tricks" of cinema. So simple, yet such an effective and compelling way to switch languages

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, its an absolute bomb - they should have moved it to September, which is barren in terms of big releases. Coming out the week before Barbie and Oppenheimer was a huge mistake, one I am very surprised they made. While I did think Barbie would be big, I didn't think it would be as huge as it is, but I did expect Oppenheimer to absolutely dominate the box office for a couple of weeks at least, and with taking IMAX/PLF screens away from MI in its second week it was always going to suffer.

I know from speaking to a couple of cinema chains that even the meagre slots they gave MI could have been better used for Barbie in particular.

I am a fan of the MI movies, and I really liked Dead Reckoning - i don't think it 'deserves' to flop badly in comparison to Fallout or RN, GP etc, I don't think the movie is a disaster. But if you put a movie out at the wrong time, this is what happens. Then again, it has done considerably worse in China than Fallout, and I don't think Barbie has swallowed the BO in China and I don't think Oppenheimer has even released there - don't know if there is some other 'Wandering Earth' type title over there at the moment though.

I do wonder if they may salvage some BO for it prior to Dead Reckoning Part 2. I could see them re-releasing it in the build up, maybe 2 months out, to try build hype for the sequel - but then Dead Pool 3 is out early May and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes a couple of weeks later in late May (so far) and might take out that time frame. If either of those move due the current strikes it could open a nice landing spot for a re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I enjoyed it and think 7/10 is a solid score for it.

But there were a few things that irked me.

Hayley Atwell , I don’t get the praise, she wasn’t terrible but she’s no Rebecca Ferguson and I just don’t find her acting great. I think she might be the sleeper agent baddy of the movie, with Gabriel being a decoy. What better way to infiltrate Ethan’s crew?

There were some weird parts of the movie and I can’t put my finger on it. Perhaps the editing. Like I’d swear there was a moment where it looked like a character was gonna be killed and they were smiling for a split second as Ethan looked at them and then concerned a few secs later.

There just felt like there was a couple of moments I was brought out of the movie with some jarring things. Whether it be weird dialogue or weird editing, I don’t know. Maybe it’s cause we were closer to the screen then I usually am.

And maybe it’s cause I had one of those moments where I thought “did Tom cruise have plastic surgery” a couple of weeks ago, but I felt I couldn’t stop staring at his face at times. If you really look you can see the smooth parts of his head where he’d have a few ridges or blemishes. It’s hard not to stare when you feel you can see what should be an aged cruise looking smoother then he has in some movies.

Overall I did enjoy it.

Post edited by Drumpot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Saw this earlier - wasn't in the mood for Oppenheimer tbh....just wanted something entertaining that I wouldn't have to think too hard about.

Have been a fan of the franchise over the years and this is a another solid entry imho.... maybe not as slick or coherent as the previous two but ticked all the boxes for me.

I didn't particularly mind the exposition pieces at the start...the main thing that bugged me was the carelessness with the key....if someone just had a secure zip pocket on their pants it would have saved a lot of drama 😂

The train sequence was excellent, and the other stunts,chases etc were well executed and good fun.

I guess we might all be reassessing our opinions on this one based on the success (or lack thereof) of the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Don't quite understand how this dropped off so badly, are people's minds blanked once the media marketing focus goes to other movies, surely if people wanted to see this, there were still enough screens to go see it, it got lots of 'its fun go see it in the cinema' recommendations...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Enthusiasm might remain or exist, but it means nothing if there are no screenings: with Barbie and Oppenheimer becoming phenomena, as far as I can read the stats the number of theatres Dead Reckoning is playing in in America has halved. And even then the times across the day would have shrunk; all making it harder to go.

By way of example: I checked my local cinema and there's one showing, at 215pm today - while the aforementioned other two films still have dozens of showing across the day, morning to evening. Dead Reckoning is getting buried by dint of bad timing.

Looks like it might limp to 500 million worldwide which in the end mightn't be the worst given everything - and no doubt it'll do well on digital platforms too.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

also, beyond simple time slots. I know myself I wouldn't bother going to see it in the Cinema if it is in a smaller screen - may as well watch it at home.

To make matters worse, Paramount have thrown TMNT in on top of this box office too - they've buried their two titles with bad release dates. COuld have moved both into late August/September and had the Box Office to themselves. Bizarre.

I watched it in Screen 5 of my cinema, had reservations beforehand as its one of the smaller screens but it didnt take anything from the experience.

The sound was actually better in that cinema than the bigger ones.

The picture would probably be that bit sharper too I guess as its not stretched as much.

I wonder if the demand over time has lessened as the general public become more aware that it really is just half a movie too. People who'd have gone to a standalone may just catch this one on streaming, and go to the cinema for part 2.

It's simply because it came out so close to Barbenheimer and it quickly got forgotten in the mix of what people felt they needed to go see first. Those two films continue to gain more and more traction and hype even after they were released, and word of mouth with Barbie in particular would inspire people to check it out when they may have been sceptical before.

For sure, that's a massive factor, but on top of that I don't think it helps that it's half a movie. When you're making the decision of what to go see, and have those 3 options, MI feels easier to let go for streaming and catch the second half in cinema. For instance I don't think MI: Fallout would have faded quite so easily under the same circumstances.

I get you, but that didn't affect Dune, or Avengers Infinity War/Endgame. I know this year's 2 part franchise films have been let downs from projections at box office (Fast X) so it may be a factor, but Barbenheimer is the big factor. Reviews and fan ratings for MI:DR were massively positive, if they had no competition, kept their bigger screens like Imax and iSense, then it wouldn't have waned.

• Advertisement

Dune is an odd example cos while it did well as an R Rated blockbuster, it didn't exactly break records either. There was a bit of talk about whether the sequel would get a green light at all - though admittedly maybe that was indeed because it front-loaded itself as "part 1". It was a brave move cos unlike Dead Reckoning the sequel wasn't locked in.

Advertisement