Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there was still regular size screen showings in the past weeks.

every review I read said it was still worth seeing at that, and that there was plenty of movie to see in part 1

and the target audience cross over between Barbie, Oppenheimer vs Mission Impossible is? More women for Barbie, More cinefiles for Oppenheimer vs everyone else...

apologies for the many replies I should use multireply, but I wonder if the cinema chains harm themselves by reducing the screenings of MI so much so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh yeah, it’s good fun, I still quite enjoyed it - not up there with the previous few entries, but still fun.

But the fact is it’s not doing the business that was expected - definitely mostly down to the other two movies out now doing brilliant business and capturing much more of a ‘zeitgeist’ appeal. I’m just guessing that when making your decision and having to choose with these other two big movies out, that the added factor of this third movie being only a part 1 might be part of the decision. But maybe not. I expect it’ll get a second life just before part 2 comes out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It's more people who would still have gone to see MI have the new distraction by those two films being out, and the hype & momentum around them has stuck for longer than MI's promo managed. The $$ takings in the cinema speak for itself, you call Barbie a movie for women but there is clearly more interest there. Casual lads wouldn't have thought Barbie was a movie they'd go see, but men with keener interest in movies knew it was Greta behind it, and would have been looking forward to it. So I wouldn't write off that cross over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Watched this last night at home, would have preferred to see it in the cinema but I don't like going on my own. Great action sequences but I felt the Grace character was a bit of a re-hash of Thandie Newton's character from MI2 (she was also a thief). The way she kept escaping and then getting re-captured by Ethan was a bit tiresome and repetitive I thought. Also the two government agents pursuing Ethan was kind of done before in Ghost Protocol.

I suppose after seven movies it is hard to think of original storylines though.

The way Gabriel escaped was ludicrous, they really could have come up with something better than that. Also Ethan parachuting on to that train was a bit silly. I'd still recommend it though; best blockbuster of the summer so far IMO.

I said more women, not only women

The “Barbie” audience is 66.2% female and significantly younger, with 74.6% under the age of 29, while the “Oppenheimer” audience is 70.7% male

https://www.thewrap.com/barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-age-gender-demo/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just saw it, enjoyed it.

the 2 Marvel girls were excellent I thought. Pom especially as a Psycho killer. has the perfect look.

Atwell was her usual magnetic self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm where did this finish with the box office in the end?

... $567 million says boxofficemojo, 2nd lowest domestic gross for the series. An ok total but couldn't even surpass the very first film's gross.

Wonder what Cruise made of that. Least he wasn't on social media telling everyone how Well, Actually it technically was a success (hello Dwayne Johnson)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Wasn’t it released in cinemas at the height of Covid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well below what they'd have estimated for it. But it's their own fault imo. The box office is not so much a relection on the quality of the movie, as it is the fact Oppenheimer and barbie came out the next week.

If it had released in September it would have gone easily past 800million.

And they did similarly poor release planning with turtles too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sequel delayed until 2025, to the surprise of nobody given the ongoing impact of the strike. Interestingly, looks like it’s also set for a title change to remove the unwieldy ‘part two’ (at least according to THR). Probably doesn’t help that not as many people saw ‘part one’ as they’d have liked.

Just also re: the above discussion about DRP1 box office, there is one interesting wrinkle: it is actually likely more profitable than expected due to a hefty insurance payout that likely helped counteract some of the COVID-related budget inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Calling it Part 1 also probably didn't do it any favours either.

Why go see part 1 now when you can watch it at home before going to Part 2 in the cinema

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the schedule killed it in the end, albeit somewhat accidentally; coming out the weekend before the behemoth of Barbieheimer dropped, Dead Reckoning never stood a chance building a solid box-office against those two movies. It dropped from Number 1 opening weekend to number four the next - five the weekend after that and downwards from there.

No blockbuster can do well with those odds against it; and maybe Paramount should have known better than to put this film against what turned out to be the year's biggest films, but then who could have confidently predicted it either?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

THey knew for months what the schedule looked like; but chose not to move it. Oppenheimer taking the IMAX screens week 2 (of MI) would have been a massive hit too.

Suppose there had to have been a belief that MI was big enough to carry it despite Oppenheimer and barbie the following week, that at least one of them would take the hit instead of MI, but it was a risky opinion to gamble on.

I do think if they had delayed it to September, they'd have made much better money on the BO.

I do wonder if they might release it now it 2024, when Part two should have been out, to try claw in some money for it. Probably not.

I'd speculate that of the two, Barbie was seen as the smaller movie to MI:7 and most prone to be a flop - or more accurately - not be a global billion dollar phenomenon. Oppenheimer might have itself been seen as "just" a biopic and no great threat either. We also don't know if Cruise himself had any say in the release date cos at this stage, as producer this franchise is his baby.

Whatever way you spin it, releasing only a mere week before two movies that made about 2 billion worldwide was a colossal blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Enjoyed it but did anyone else find the the whole AI plot fairly muddled and complex? More than the usual plots.

Definitely the weakest of the last few in the series but I suppose it is only half a movie.Not sure it needed near on 3 hours aswell, some scenes and dialogue overly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Disappointing that part two has been postponed for nearly a year.

I wonder what will fill it's slot. Is there any other films scheduled for the weekend Dead Reckoning part 2 was supposed to come out next year?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I suspect that when looking at schedules a year ago, producers would have been confident that MI would have been the big boy in the room against the likes of Barbie and Oppenheimer, with a sense of "They should be more worried about us than we are about them". So I can understand why they didn't move anywhere.

MI was on a high after Fallout, Tom Cruise was on a high after Top gun, up against a cheesy dolls movie and a Nolan biopic. Take hindsight out of the equation, go back to January and everybody would have pegged MI to the big success of the summer.

Barbenheimer became a thing and so it didn't work out that way, thats how it goes. Though I also believe poor word of mouth didn't help its chances, it really is a flawed movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With the actors strike still ongoing 2024 is going to be a barren land for movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Fairly average.

The internal of the train scene near the end was fairly well done.

The whole risking everything for a girl just met - yawn

The whole face swap thing - yawn. Been down too many times in too many MI movies. Just not original anymore

The AI story was a big daft would have more believable had it a master evil controller but maybe that comes out in Part 2

A decent watch but its loosing its appeal.

I could but wrong but it felt like there was a musical score in the background for every scene which seems like a bit of overkill.

Will watch part 2 but wont rush to do the same

Advertisement