Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Handlebars

Options
  • 23-05-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Morning all

I bought a Giant road bike several years ago - not hugely expensive - as I planned to start regular cycling. Never happened and I think the opportunity has passed me by. Bike has been used about 10 times only. A city bike would have been way more practical.
    Is it possible to change the handlebars - reengineer the brakes etc ?. I'm wondering if a bike shop would be able to reconfigure it. I think the bike would be used way more.
    Thanks, K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Yes, it's definitely possible. My wife a has a flat bar on her road bike.

You'll obviously need the new bar, also brake levers and shifters. Stem might have to change depending on fit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It might be easier just to sell that bike and buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

It might be easier just to sell that bike and buy another.

Thanks W - I had thought that as well - if the cost of rejigging too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm thinking of the same Raven - got a road bike and used it very little and now wishing I got a hybrid. Have never cycled a hybrid though so not sure if it would be better for me! What is making you go for the flat bar? I do like the neutral position of the hoods, but find my steering isn't great and the bike wobbles a bit tbh :o Would a flat bar help with that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

A wider flat bar would feel more stable, yes

Depending on the size of the drop bar you have, perhaps a wider flared drop bar like you get on gravel bikes and the like might be a solution. Wider bar, but less cost in changing over, as you could keep your brifters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

cletus wrote: »
    A wider flat bar would feel more stable, yes

Depending on the size of the drop bar you have, perhaps a wider flared drop bar like you get on gravel bikes and the like might be a solution. Wider bar, but less cost in changing over, as you could keep your brifters

Oh thanks for that - that might make sense as I do like the having my hands on the hoods. My own bar is about 44cm so maybe something a bit wider might help (or I could just get better at steering :o:o)

Advertisement