Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes I can although I think cycling in rush hour traffic is very dangerous

You can cycle from Kilcullen to Newbridge in 25 minutes (maybe less on an EBike). Much nicer place to live than Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mooref

I was looking to buy a house in 2008 but I was looking as far as Mountrath rather than Athy though Athy was much closer to family, Nice town to shop in but I wouldn't live there if you gave me a house for free. Got lucky with the recession and was able to buy in my preferred location.Kilcullen is serviced by the same bus that goes from Athy to Dublin. Lived there 2 years and it's a lovely town. If you keep your eyes peeled you can get a nice house for under 200k in Newbridge which location wise would be ideal for you. Even Monasterevin wouldn't be a bad location. You'd get a lovely house in Portarlington for that budget and an excellent train service to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You can cycle from Kilcullen to Newbridge in 25 minutes (maybe less on an EBike). Much nicer place to live than Athy.

Kilcullen to Newbridge, through Athgarvan, not a good road to cycle on I would think, especially during the winter. Is the local link bus, connecting the towns, still running

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Kilcullen to Newbridge, through Athgarvan, not a good road to cycle on I would think, especially during the winter. Is the local link bus, connecting the towns, still running

Agree, I used to cycle it 30/35 years ago. It's straighter in parts now but a hell of a lot busier.

Back then I was knocked off the bike twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Gael23 wrote: »
    I can’t afford Naas or Kildare town and Athy has a bus to Dublin so that’s what drew me. Not familiar with Kildare town but €200k is about as far as it goes so it does look like an option
    I can't understand where all the posters get their negative comments from. Athy may have had a bad name years ago, but it's a far better town now. much safer than the likes of carlow or newbridge, and nicer people. All you have to do is read the leinster leader each week and see where all the trouble is!!!

There is great community spirit in the town, with lots of amenities, clubs, groups, etc. You really should come to the town and check it out for yourself.
    There has been previous threads such as this about moving to Athy, have a look them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd still go for Kildare Town for the op.

Plenty of property within walking distance of shops. You also have Kildare village for clothing.

Good facilities for all ages.

Very strong transport links.

I'd keep an eye on some of the old council estates such as rowanville and Assumpta Villas which are very mature and quiet these days. - their drawback is poor parking, not an issue for the op, hence potentially good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'd still go for Kildare Town for the op.

Plenty of property within walking distance of shops. You also have Kildare village for clothing.

Good facilities for all ages.

Very strong transport links.

I'd keep an eye on some of the old council estates such as rowanville and Assumpta Villas which are very mature and quiet these days. - their drawback is poor parking, not an issue for the op, hence potentially good value.

Yes parking not a problem, transport links would be a deal breaker though. Seen a few places I really like in Portarlington but not sure about it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I can't understand where all the posters get their negative comments from. Athy may have had a bad name years ago, but it's a far better town now. much safer than the likes of carlow or newbridge, and nicer people. All you have to do is read the leinster leader each week and see where all the trouble is!!!

There is great community spirit in the town, with lots of amenities, clubs, groups, etc. You really should come to the town and check it out for yourself.
    There has been previous threads such as this about moving to Athy, have a look them.

I agree with much of this.

I'm not from/live in Athy but have family there, so I know it reasonably well. It does lack decent shops, but you have Carlow or Newbridge nearby for that. It is a bit 'rough around the edges' but that's part of its appeal...a real down to earth and unpretentious vibe to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I’m in Athy a few years now and really like it. I’m on the Dublin side of the town where the majority of the nice estates are. I may be particularly lucky as the people on my road are brilliant.

Haven’t encountered any trouble, loads of sports leagues here which suits us, lots of musicians (again suits us) and the school my son is in has been great.

Having said all that there are an awful lot of bookies, pharmacies, euro shops and pubs for such a small town. But if you’re active there’s rugby, football, gaa, gym, pool, triathlon club, dragon boat racing, canoeing, dancing, martial arts, boxing, gymnastics, weight lifting, tennis and all of these groups have an amazing community spirit around them.

This is coming from someone who grew up in the posh part of D9.

If OP wants a list of estates to go for/avoid, just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AKMC

Mink wrote: »
    I’m in Athy a few years now and really like it. I’m on the Dublin side of the town where the majority of the nice estates are. I may be particularly lucky as the people on my road are brilliant.

Haven’t encountered any trouble, loads of sports leagues here which suits us, lots of musicians (again suits us) and the school my son is in has been great.

Having said all that there are an awful lot of bookies, pharmacies, euro shops and pubs for such a small town. But if you’re active there’s rugby, football, gaa, gym, pool, triathlon club, dragon boat racing, canoeing, dancing, martial arts, boxing, gymnastics, weight lifting, tennis and all of these groups have an amazing community spirit around them.

This is coming from someone who grew up in the posh part of D9.

If OP wants a list of estates to go for/avoid, just pm me.

Hi there,

Would love some ideas an estates to go for please, especially with commuting to Dublin in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Erik77

Hi guys,

Is Gallow Hill, Athy, a good estate to settle? Are there any down points to consider? We're thinking about buying a house there..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a place in Shackleton Court... I'm a first time buyer and plan to live alone. Is it a nice area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I don't know if it will make a difference to but the ring road will be build near there.

six of one /half a dozen of the other considering its already close to the the N78.

Probably make life easier then worse.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231641643429/

Advertisement