Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tax dilemma

Options
  • 23-05-2020 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Tits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Can someone please help ,

My car is sitting in my garden engine is shot ,nor the thing is I'm trying to cancel my car tax I've just paid €56 euro arrears on line so I tried to declare it off the road but it won't let me do that unless I tax it for at least 3 months ? Has anyone had this problem ?

Tia .

You’ll only get refunded if it’s scrapped and has more than 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

You’ll only get refunded if it’s scrapped and has more than 3 months.

Thanks for your reply 👠the thing is I don't want a refund I just want stop paying tax for a car that's just sitting in my garden gathering dust ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks for your reply 👠the thing is I don't want a refund I just want stop paying tax for a car that's just sitting in my garden gathering dust ?

If you are not driving it again, no need to tax it.

Bruthal wrote: »

But that's the thing even if your not driving the car the tax builds up . I'm trying to declare it off the road but to do that on line it's telling me I must first pay at least 3 months tax to declare it off the road . ?

But that's the thing even if your not driving the car the tax builds up . I'm trying to declare it off the road but to do that on line it's telling me I must first pay at least 3 months tax to declare it off the road . ?

If you keep it off the road then decide to drive again, change ownership, and back again. Only owed from new ownership month then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you ever going to be driving it again? If not then it doesn't matter. The next owner won't be liable, either will you. Same if its scrapped.

Are you ever going to be driving it again? If not then it doesn't matter. The next owner won't be liable, either will you. Same if its scrapped.

Well at the moment I don't have the money to repair it ,it needs a new hpfp so it won't start . I've been to the Garda station and the guard laughed at the idea of what the tax office was asking . To declare a car off the road you must pay for at least 3 months tax before you can declare it off the road or undriveable ?

People have said already, you do not need to declare it off the road if it is off the road so stop trying. Just don’t tax it and don’t drive it.

Well at the moment I don't have the money to repair it ,it needs a new hpfp so it won't start . I've been to the Garda station and the guard laughed at the idea of what the tax office was asking . To declare a car off the road you must pay for at least 3 months tax before you can declare it off the road or undriveable ?

Well as I said, you can change ownership to the other half or similar, then change back if you are going to drive it again. Only thing against it is number of owners increases. Doubt that matters in this case.

People have said already, you do not need to declare it off the road if it is off the road so stop trying. Just don’t tax it and don’t drive it.

Hang in a minute pal . It doesn't work that way !

Even if you leave a car in a garden it still accumulates tax we all know that !!!!! What I'm trying to find out is how to stop a broken down car from accumulating TAX !!!!!!!!!!

No need to be rude !!!

• Advertisement

Even if you leave a car in a garden it still accumulates tax we all know that !!!!! What I'm trying to find out is how to stop a broken down car from accumulating TAX !!!!!!!!!!

No need to be rude !!!

Wasn’t meant to sound rude. Though it does kind of seem like you don’t want to listen to the answers people are giving.

You don’t need to ever pay tax on this car again unless you’re going to drive it again. And if it ever happens that you are going to drive it again, it’s been explained that it’s very easy to legally do so without paying any arrears.

And I thank everyone for there help I do really appreciated it . It's just I'm smashed till I get back to work and can't keep paying for backdated tax .

Wasn’t meant to sound rude. Though it does kind of seem like you don’t want to listen to the answers people are giving.

Can you please do me a favour and stay out if it ? Your not helping I am taking on board what people are say and I really appreciate it . But I don't have a partner to swap it into their name etc . And honestly if you don't have anything to say that can help please go away .

You don’t need to ever pay tax on this car again unless you’re going to drive it again. And if it ever happens that you are going to drive it again, it’s been explained that it’s very easy to legally do so without paying any arrears.
    Ok so I've paid arrears for last month it was sitting in the garden what happens next Month and the month after that ? Or if the car is in my garden for two years ? It builds up even the guard said you will always have to back date it untill it's declared off the road .

Can you please do me a favour and stay out if it ? Your not helping I am taking on board what people are say and I really appreciate it . But I don't have a partner to swap it into their name etc . And honestly if you don't have anything to say that can help please go away .

I don’t see moderator under your name but then again you’re just being awkward for the sake of it now so what’s the point. Pay up or listen to the advice people are giving so you don’t have to. Your choice.

Bruthal wrote: »

Thanks but the tax office will keep sending reminder of payment due until it's declared off the road and for me to go on line and declare it off the road they want me to tax my car that can't be driven .

I don’t see moderator under your name but then again you’re just being awkward for the sake of it now so what’s the point. Pay up or listen to the advice people are giving so you don’t have to. Your choice.
    Please go away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Right you need to chill....

The advice given is bang on..

You are in motorbikes section anyway.

If you leave as is then don't worry, the only way you will be eligible to pay the back tax is if you put it back on the road and want to tax it. But there is a legal way around this.

Sell the car to Joey MC Joe at your address, then wait for it to come out in the post and you then put your name back on the VLC and send it back again at no cost whatsoever as to post to Shannon you put free post on the envelope and pop it off.

You can do this now, send it off and you have 21 days from change of ownership to sign it off the road.

You can then select a year or less but if you decide on two months you want to tax it this just cancels.

If you still had tax on your car then you can sign off the road but there must be tax on it, if it's gone past this window to do so then your only options are pay back tax when you want to tax or do it as outlined above....

This isn't a catch or illegal and many are doing so as they've been caught in a similar situation or just forgot.

Get your VLC fill out any name to your address, wait for return then send it with your real name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thanks but the tax office will keep sending reminder of payment due until it's declared off the road and for me to go on line and declare it off the road they want me to tax my car that can't be driven .

Put the car into a fictional name at your address. When the time comes that's it's repaired and ready to drive again, put it back into your name and tax it. You won't have to pay any back tax that way.

Well if you don't want to listen and want to pay extra taxes go ahead. I had car off road for 5 months. Changed ownership. Change back start of May. Tax from May.

Reminders are just that. Reminders. Mean nothing if not driving on public roads. Except to people who want to pay more tax while really not being liable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

No need to be rude !!!

Like everything in Ireland its a stupid system. If it won't let you declare it off road then don't. If you ever intend to re-use the car and put it back on the road then just use the change of owner form to negate the need for you to pay the arrears. Once you receive the new log book tax the car from that date. You can simply use the change of owner form again but this time re register the car to you. This can be done as often as you like, it is not illegal. The name you temporarily register the car to can be fictitious or a child's name that how stupid the whole system is it's a farce. I understand what you're trying to do and its the right thing to do. But you have been failed by a system that is complete bulls@#t. As long as the car remains in a garage or driveway it cannot be penalised by tickets. I hope that helps.

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Like everything in Ireland its a stupid system. If it won't let you declare it off road then don't. If you ever intend to re-use the car and put it back on the road then just use the change of owner form to negate the need for you to pay the arrears. Once you receive the new log book tax the car from that date. You can simply use the change of owner form again but this time re register the car to you. This can be done as often as you like, it is not illegal. The name you temporarily register the car to can be fictitious or a child's name that how stupid the whole system is it's a farce. I understand what you're trying to do and its the right thing to do. But you have been failed by a system that is complete bulls@#t. As long as the car remains in a garage or driveway it cannot be penalised by tickets. I hope that helps.

Thank you so much to you and everyone that helped . Except the mod that was dying to pull the trigger on my post and pull it down ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘. Stay safe people ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You can only declare off road before the tax expires.

A true gentleman thank you and God bless you . Sorry if I got annoyed it's just that clown that jumped in with no help to offer me .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I can’t believe it took 23 posts for the penny to drop :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

emeldc wrote: »
    I can’t believe it took 23 posts for the penny to drop :P

Don't forget it's free post so save that penny

Ok so I've paid arrears for last month it was sitting in the garden what happens next Month and the month after that ? Or if the car is in my garden for two years ? It builds up even the guard said you will always have to back date it untill it's declared off the road .

The idea is to declare it off the road before the tax runs out in the first place. The reason youve to tax it for 3 months before declaring it off the road is 3 months is the minimum it can be taxed for.

Like everything in Ireland its a stupid system.

The system is fine if people use it properly.

If it allowed you to declare it off the road retrospectively like the old system, then people drive their cars for a few months and then declare them off the road, tax for 3 months and then repeat for as long as you can get away with.

You can only declare off road before the tax expires.

Yeah that's what the guard said I've paid the back tax I'm actually afraid to ask you incase you know who is watching this and calls the feelings police . But say if I paid the tax now for 3 months would I be able to declare it off the road ? If you get me and I promise I've taken everything onboard from everyone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Yeah that's what the guard said I've paid the back tax I'm actually afraid to ask you incase you know who is watching this and calls the feelings police . But say if I paid the tax now for 3 months would I be able to declare it off the road ? If you get me and I promise I've taken everything onboard from everyone .

You’re really not getting this, are you?

Advertisement