Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tax dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah that's what the guard said I've paid the back tax I'm actually afraid to ask you incase you know who is watching this and calls the feelings police . But say if I paid the tax now for 3 months would I be able to declare it off the road ? If you get me and I promise I've taken everything onboard from everyone .

Yes you can sign it off the road but you won't get the 3 months tax.....

Why would you tax it if you knew you weren't using it?

Everything is on motortax site

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks but the tax office will keep sending reminder of payment due until it's declared off the road and for me to go on line and declare it off the road they want me to tax my car that can't be driven .

They'll send the odd one now and again if at all.

To be fair, saying about paying arrears every month is a bit hysterical. If that was what was going to happen, why would you not pay the 3 months and then declare it off the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

They'll send the odd one now and again if at all.

To be fair, saying about paying arrears every month is a bit hysterical. If that was what was going to happen, why would you not pay the 3 months and then declare it off the road?

That's what I was asking if I pay it for the 3 months now would I be able to log back in and declare it off the road . They can keep any payments . Why is it hysterical ? Arrears do build up anyway that's everyone I'm done here .

That's what I was asking if I pay it for the 3 months now would I be able to log back in and declare it off the road . They can keep any payments . Why is it hysterical ? Arrears do build up anyway that's everyone I'm done here .

Why in all that is would you tax it though?
    You said it's not even running....

You would tend to sorn on the last month.
    Once tax is still in date you can.

I don't want the 3 months back I just need to log in and declare it off the road but to log in I must pay the 3 months . Look it doesn't matter guys I'll sort it .

• Advertisement

Why in all that is would you tax it though?
    You said it's not even running....

You would tend to sorn on the last month.
    Once tax is still in date you can.

It's not running it need a new high fuel pressure pump and I don't have the money for that . Soooo I wanted to tell the tax office I have no car . So to declare it off the road it is no more drivable till it's fixed and that could be months away . So put it like this if I get it fixed in 6 months time it will have accumulated arrears .

I don't want the 3 months back I just need to log in and declare it off the road but to log in I must pay the 3 months . Look it doesn't matter guys I'll sort it .

Don't pay 3 months tax.... You'd be mad too...

Everyone on here has tried to help you....

You get your VLC, fill out the new owner details on the rear(you but different name) then re sell it back to yourself when it comes back from Shannon.

The address is on the VLC, pop in envelope and as I said write free post on it.

This is so easy and there is no stress whatsoever.

Obviously you will add amount of owners but take a copy of each time you do this and throw it in the car book or service pack book.....

The Gardai can't help you so just do as we have advised and it costs you nothing....

Bizarre you can't understand as I've put it out in steps to follow, there is no catch with it and it's fully legal to do so.

emeldc wrote: »
    I can’t believe it took 23 posts for the penny to drop :P

Or 23 posts to make my point ? If someone clown hadent of bushwhacked my post it wouldn't have got lost in translation.

You think I haven't been on the tax site I just came here like a dumb dumb ?

It's not running it need a new high fuel pressure pump and I don't have the money for that . Soooo I wanted to tell the tax office I have no car . So to declare it off the road it is no more drivable till it's fixed and that could be months away . So put it like this if I get it fixed in 6 months time it will have accumulated arrears .

NO YOU WONT!!!!!

We have told you step by step what to do.

Are you actually for real now I'm thinking this is trolling.

SELL THE CAR TO JOE AT YOUR ADDRESS ( HE DOES NOT EXIST, THEN GET JOE TO SELL IT BACK TO YOU)

The tax office doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is gas.
    The op cannot seem to listen to what is being said.

As clearly as i can put this - the tax office think your car is on the road so they send you reminders however any such tax only becomes due when you use it on the road again so you can safely and legally ignore any reminder letters as long as you dont use the car on the road.
    The untaxed period is not an issue and wont have to be back paid by you unless you put the car on the road in future.
    You are not breaking any law in ignoring the tax reminder because you are not on the road with your car.
    DO NOT PAY any more tax on this car if its off the road.
    The declaring off the road system is in place to allow people store cars off road and then put them back on the road at whatever stsge suits them without incurring back taxes.
    If you are not putti g back on the road, this doesnt concern you.
    If you sell it in future, the tax status is of no concern to you or buyer as the buyer only taxes from start of month that they bought it. Some buyers have been known to try to fool sellers by saying it will coat x amount to bring the tax up to date. This is incorrect.
    If you were to put it back on the road in future, you back tax it or do the change of owner trick. Note tax office staff have been known to tell customers to do this so its an accepted loophole kind of setup.
    Do not pay for any more tax. You are not breaking any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FarOn

NO YOU WONT!!!!!

We have told you step by step what to do.

Are you actually for real now I'm thinking this is trolling.

SELL THE CAR TO JOE AT YOUR ADDRESS ( HE DOES NOT EXIST, THEN GET JOE TO SELL IT BACK TO YOU)

The tax office doesn't care.

Completely agree with you, this is absolute childs play, it has been very competently detailed and the OP seems to be ignoring all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This thread is hilarious, no way he's being serious.

mickdw wrote: »
    This is gas.
    The op cannot seem to listen to what is being said.

As clearly as i can put this - the tax office think your car is on the road so they send you reminders however any such tax only becomes due when you use it on the road again so you can safely and legally ignore any reminder letters as long as you dont use the car on the road.
    The untaxed period is not an issue and wont have to be back paid by you unless you put the car on the road in future.
    You are not breaking any law in ignoring the tax reminder because you are not on the road with your car.
    DO NOT PAY any more tax on this car if its off the road.
    The declaring off the road system is in place to allow people store cars off road and then put them back on the road at whatever stsge suits them without incurring back taxes.
    If you are not putti g back on the road, this doesnt concern you.
    If you sell it in future, the tax status is of no concern to you or buyer as the buyer only taxes from start of month that they bought it. Some buyers have been known to try to fool sellers by saying it will coat x amount to bring the tax up to date. This is incorrect.
    If you were to put it back on the road in future, you back tax it or do the change of owner trick. Note tax office staff have been known to tell customers to do this so its an accepted loophole kind of setup.
    Do not pay for any more tax. You are not breaking any law.

Thanks .

You think I haven't been on the tax site I just came here like a dumb dumb ?

And we have told you now how many times you were way to late to declare it so you have the 2 options stated.

Yes waste your money and tax a car you can't use.....

I know what I'd be doing with my money....

Use the money you would have had to spend on tax and out it towards fixing and that's totally if the car is actually worth fixing.

If you had the car sitting in your garden 5 years let's say and I were to buy it, the tax that was owed is wiped clean..... You do not owe it nor do it, it's quashed it's forgotten about, nobody comes after anyone for it......

Only issue arises is if you continue to drive it you will be fined and or the car lifted....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because instead of listening to reason you just keep repeating about arrears building up.

and even when I offer a solution right there in the bit you quoted, you said it again.
    Ill throw it up anyway one more time. If you reckon itll be sitting there for months or years on end while you pay arrears every month, instead of that, tax it for 3 months and then declare it off the road.

Failing that, sell it or scrap it and thatll be the end of it.

And we have told you now how many times you were way to late to declare it so you have the 2 options stated.

Yes waste your money and tax a car you can't use.....

I know what I'd be doing with my money....

Use the money you would have had to spend on tax and out it towards fixing and that's totally if the car is actually worth fixing.

If you had the car sitting in your garden 5 years let's say and I were to buy it, the tax that was owed is wiped clean..... You do not owe it nor do it, it's quashed it's forgotten about, nobody comes after anyone for it......

Only issue arises is if you continue to drive it you will be fined and or the car lifted....

Car can't and won't be driven because of the fails pump thanks . No more replies and to the mod that's dying to close this tread it's all yours 😘.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Or 23 posts to make my point ? If someone clown hadent of bushwhacked my post it wouldn't have got lost in translation.
    You were given the correct info in post #6. You even thanked it.

Car can't and won't be driven because of the fails pump thanks . No more replies and to the mod that's dying to close this tread it's all yours 😘.

Ah go on tell us what you're going to do

Ah go on tell us what you're going to do

Well I was thinking of giving it to your wife up the arse ?

• Advertisement

Well I was thinking of giving it to your wife up the arse ?

Well, this has been quite the melt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Best thread of 2020 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Please somebody move this ****e out of the motorbikes section ffs...

Well, this has been quite the melt down.

I spat out my vodka just there ...

Good thing I have no feelings but can see we are dealing with full retard mode....

Hit Ctrl alt and delete.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Have you tried ringing them?

Have you tried ringing them?

Dundrum institute won't accept calls as it's the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I spat out my vodka just there ...

Good thing I have no feelings but can see we are dealing with full retard mode....

Hit Ctrl alt and delete.....

This is the greatest thing ever on boards.

Can a mod move it to the cars forum so the rest can see it :)

This is the greatest thing ever on boards.

Can a mod move it to the cars forum so the rest can see it :)

After hours would ban him so probably won't get there either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

After hours would ban him so probably won't get there either

Well someone needs punishment for making me dribble out my aperol spritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

This thread shows why having warning labels on things will lead to the end of the human civilization and paradoxically why they don't work :D:D

Advertisement