Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Tree for back garden

Options
  • 23-05-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a nice fast growing tree, meduim sized and hardy for my back garden. The main reason is additional privacy (a neighbour chopped down their tree that had been providing that) but I'd also like something that looks nice.
    There were a few quite large ones I saw in a Garden Centre today.

Crateagus media Pauls Scarlet, Liquidambar styr worplesdon, Prunus Surrulata Tai Haku, Cornus Kousa China Girl.

I was quite please with the range and the prices as I though I would be stuck with little choice. Any pros and cons to the one listed and which would you pick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

All lovely.
    Just a matter of personal choice really, liquidambar for autumn colour, cornus kousa for me for Spring colour, would be quite rare here too in comparison to prunus and crataegus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Liquidamber for me. Cornus doesn't get that big and can be slow. Fantastic tree mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Thanks for the feedback, I like them all so hard to choose. Looks like it will be Liquidambar then:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I know a little about the Liquidamber on the list as I know where it was originally grown.

Check if you are buying one that its not grafted. They can get quite big then suddenly fail at the graft theres a technical name for that which I can't remember.

Autumn colour is stunning!

Choice would depend on the size of garden. Think I'd want a few other trees to go for the cherry, its one we have but its stunning for only a very short period. The Liquidambers glory is also short lived but comes at a time when there is very little else producing a show which is why it gets my vote.

Pauls Scarlet - nah rare to get a really good one and its just a posh hawthorn after all and the Cornus would be great for a smaller garden.

Thanks Ginsoaked for the additional informaiton. Gareden is about 120sqm so not huge. This tree is for the far corner thought so cant cause much harm. I thought this was a flowering tree which is what I really want, is it not and if not can you recommend a flowering tree that grows quickly. I dont mind paying up to €130 or so for the right tree.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ginsoaked for the additional informaiton. Gareden is about 120sqm so not huge. This tree is for the far corner thought so cant cause much harm. I thought this was a flowering tree which is what I really want, is it not and if not can you recommend a flowering tree that grows quickly. I dont mind paying up to €130 or so for the right tree.

The problem with anything that grows quickly is that they don't come with a button labelled "stop growing", if it grows fast to fill the space it will just keep on growing until its too big. For that size space I think I would stick with the Cornus as you'll get flowers and autumn colour with a lot of them.

Take a look at Cornus controversa 'variegata' (wedding-cake tree) needs a little protection from wind and can have year round good looks (flowers aren't as spectaular as Cornus kousa varieties).

One I'd like you to look up if you have a sheltered spot is Aralia elata 'variegata'. You can easily throw a lot of money at a decent specimen plant but it is a cracker if grown well. Growth isn't fast but it shouldn't outgrow the space.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    The problem with anything that grows quickly is that they don't come with a button labelled "stop growing", if it grows fast to fill the space it will just keep on growing until its too big. For that size space I think I would stick with the Cornus as you'll get flowers and autumn colour with a lot of them.

Take a look at Cornus controversa 'variegata' (wedding-cake tree) needs a little protection from wind and can have year round good looks (flowers aren't as spectaular as Cornus kousa varieties).

One I'd like you to look up if you have a sheltered spot is Aralia elata 'variegata'. You can easily throw a lot of money at a decent specimen plant but it is a cracker if grown well. Growth isn't fast but it shouldn't outgrow the space.

Thanks for that I’ll certainly take a look. I saw this tree in a local park and would love one like it, can you identify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

That's a hawthorn. Paul's scarlet would be my guess.

That's a hawthorn. Paul's scarlet would be my guess.

Thanks Reckless, can these be bought in garden centres?

https://futureforests.ie/products/crataegus-laevigata-paul-s-scarlet

But not 100% sure your earlier picture was Pauls Scarlet which is a double?

• Advertisement

Thanks Reckless, can these be bought in garden centres?

Complete p*ss taker, you specifically mentioned it in your first post.

Complete p*ss taker, you specifically mentioned it in your first post.

I didn’t mention Paul’s scarlet in my first post. Lay off on the name calling maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm looking for a nice fast growing tree, meduim sized and hardy for my back garden. The main reason is additional privacy (a neighbour chopped down their tree that had been providing that) but I'd also like something that looks nice.

Crateagus media Pauls Scarlet, Liquidambar styr worplesdon, Prunus Surrulata Tai Haku, Cornus Kousa China Girl.

I was quite please with the range and the prices as I though I would be stuck with little choice. Any pros and cons to the one listed and which would you pick?

Pauls Scarlet.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Pauls Scarlet.

Oh yeah, thanks. I’m completely unfamiliar with he makes of trees and did t notice that at all. That’s great I can get it delivered easily then. Still totally no reason for the other poster to use derogatory language.

Think you did

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I’m going to recommend a hoheria, it’s fast growing and has lots of lovely white flowers in summer and is evergreen so you have the privacy all year long.
    Hawthorn is slower growing and also has thorns and if the hoheria grows too tall it is easily pruned. There are various kinds so tell the garden centre you want one that is evergreen and fast growing. In good conditions it should grow 2 feet per year

I also think you might consider something evergreen if the tree is principally for privacy. Maybe a smaller Nothofagus, eg Nothofagus betuloides.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Deciduous trees are still good for privacy. Crataegus is hardy and can be pruned. The ornamental birch, Betula jacquemontii is very attractive.

Oh yeah, thanks. I’m completely unfamiliar with he makes of trees and did t notice that at all. That’s great I can get it delivered easily then. Still totally no reason for the other poster to use derogatory language.

How can you not notice what you wrote yourself?
    According to you you viewed all of these trees in a garden centre so i assume you read (or were advised) what each one did.
    I replied explaining what each specifically did (Liquidambar for Autumn colour) and you then subsequently decided that that wasn't the one for you because it didn't have Spring colour!
    You then post a picture of a tree which (according to you) you have already seen in the flesh, list it as an option, and then when it's identified ask if it's available in garden centres?

Do you see why i would form the opinion that you are just a troll?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Let's end the discussion here on what tree the OP understood they were talking about please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement