Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking up if restrictions are broken

Options
  • 23-05-2020 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

If a situation arises in public where you see covid restrictions being broken, im curious as to whether people will you speak up?

Example 1:
    You are in a shop which has a 2 person limit on people in the shop at any one time. A third customer enters the shop and the shop assistant fails to say anything. Will you say anything to the person who walked in?

Example 2:
    You work in an office and someone is blatantly breaking some new covid related rules. What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

CommonB wrote: »
    If a situation arises in public where you see covid restrictions being broken, im curious as to whether people will you speak up?

Example 1:
    You are in a shop which has a 2 person limit on people in the shop at any one time. A third customer enters the shop and the shop assistant fails to say anything. Will you say anything to the person who walked in?

Example 2:
    You work in an office and someone is blatantly breaking some new covid related rules. What would you do?

No. The most infuriating aspect of this whole pandemic is the curtain twitching busy bodies all too eager to shop their neighbours.

Your first example is likely to be an arbitrary rule that the shop owner themselves has put in place. Who are you going to report it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Would ask to speak to the manager.

Then send an email to head office of the store to make it known to upper levels.

Finally would email the department of health and cc one of the large newspapers.

Last resort would be inform the cops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the very early days I may well have said something, I did with a couple of people as far as shop behaviour. Today? Nope. Play on. Unless they were directly risking my personal health. This very evening I went into a shop with a five person limit, two were already in the place. Halfway through my shopping another five or six walked in. What are you going to do. Most people are pleasant enough, but many people are also dumb as housebricks who don't like it being pointed out to them, or they won't understand anyway, so again I made sure I kept my distance from any possible personal risk, but otherwise, meh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CommonB

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Who are you going to report it to?

Say it to the person who walked in.

Wibbs wrote: »
    In the very early days I may well have said something, I did with a couple of people as far as shop behaviour. Today? Nope. Play on. Unless they were directly risking my personal health. This very evening I went into a shop with a five person limit, two were already in the place. Halfway through my shopping another five or six walked in. What are you going to do. Most people are pleasant enough, but many people are also dumb as housebricks who don't like it being pointed out to them, or they won't understand anyway, so again I made sure I kept my distance from any possible personal risk, but otherwise, meh.

Yea I hear you. I want to say it to the people at the time but to be honest I dont know how some people would react. But Im thinking I will one of these days. Theres a lot of idiots out there. Hard to just not say anything sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

No.

Just mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Say it to the person who walked in.

Why? Why appoint yourself as an amateur bouncer?. You’re asking for aggravation. Just get on with your own business. Less stress all round.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    No.

Just mind your own business

Thats exactly what id be doing. My health is my business.

I know what you mean. But why should I be the one who has to mind my business. Why shouldnt these people be made feel uncomfortable instead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I hear you. I want to say it to the people at the time but to be honest I dont know how some people would react. But Im thinking I will one of these days. Theres a lot of idiots out there. Hard to just not say anything sometimes.
    Unless you possess a forceful personality who also knows how to read people, I'd not advise it. Too many stupid people about like you note. What are the odds that the same stupid idiots will understand what you mean and take it on board, or are more likely to kick off as stupid idiots tend to?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's up to you OP. There is no way I would go ringing the Guards or getting hot and bothered about people sitting in a garden with a bbq.
    However I have asked people in a queue to stand back a little further from me if I felt they weren't adhering to the 2m limit. Also I have asked people standing talking to my dad to move back a little.

But don't do it if you aren't going to be polite and assertive about it.

• Advertisement

It's up to you OP. There is no way I would go ringing the Guards or getting hot and bothered about people sitting in a garden with a bbq.
    However I have asked people in a queue to stand back a little further from me if I felt they weren't adhering to the 2m limit. Also I have asked people standing talking to my dad to move back a little.

But don't do it if you aren't going to be polite and assertive about it.
    Yes id agree with you on the bbq situation and things like that, I wouldn't be bothered with that. I really only mean the situations where I'm out in public myself and people are affecting me, such as the queue scenario you mention. Yes, being polite is definitely the name of the game. I have no desire for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Informants are a crazy bunch, very Soviet Russian in nature and something I disapprove of.

Better off rising above it. It's a shame some people don't give a **** but try not to let it bother you. Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Example 1:

Example 2:

In example 1 I’d say it to the assistant, not the customer. If I didn’t get any joy from the assistant I’d leave the shop.

In example 2 I’d raise it with the boss/designated person. I’d push to have something done about it as, unlike the shop, I probably couldn’t just walk out of work!

Advertisement