Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Oval

Options
  • 23-05-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭

The scumbags fighting again at mount oval today, ffs it's gotten mad there last year plus, was a quiet enough place gone to hell courtesy of the council letting in scum without being assessed, pity the ppl who took out mortgages and are now living near these clowns
    PS received a what's app video of same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The scumbags fighting again at mount oval today, ffs it's gotten mad there last year plus, was a quiet enough place gone to hell courtesy of the council letting in scum without being assessed, pity the ppl who took out mortgages and are now living near these clowns
    PS received a what's app video of same

Are there council estates up there now? While it could have been people from social housing, it could also have been people from private estates. I'm sure a mixture was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

yenom wrote: »
    Are there council estates up there now?
    Towards the end of the Celtic tiger the developer had a load of houses ready , as demand for houses fell through the floor the developer in a deal with the council for development fees owed handed over large parts of the newest estates.

Now this deal was contrary to all best practice to spread out council tenants with one to two houses per estate and instead jump gave over entire areas to them . Now unfortunately we are seeing the consequence of it.

This happens every decade in a new area with huge amount of births and 15 years later youth issues . Glanmire has similar issues. In a few years it will all quieten down again as the demographic of the area levels out .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Are there council estates up there now? While it could have been people from social housing, it could also have been people from private estates. I'm sure a mixture was involved.

AFAIK trouble started as soon as council moved some,wrong ppl in,it's gone to hell seemingly, relation up there on a mortgage wants out

Towards the end of the Celtic tiger the developer had a load of houses ready , as demand for houses fell through the floor the developer in a deal with the council for development fees owed handed over large parts of the newest estates.

Now this deal was contrary to all best practice to spread out council tenants with one to two houses per estate and instead jump gave over entire areas to them . Now unfortunately we are seeing the consequence of it.

This happens every decade in a new area with huge amount of births and 15 years later youth issues . Glanmire has similar issues. In a few years it will all quieten down again as the demographic of the area levels out .

Hopefully you're right,I live in an area of Carrigaline,mixed housing,but the oldest estate ( council) never quitened , and the teens are as rough as Fu*k there, nightmare at times, then quiet, awful last week

AFAIK trouble started as soon as council moved some,wrong ppl in,it's gone to hell seemingly, relation up there on a mortgage wants out

That goes on everywhere in the city, in all parts. I know the people in Togher got their money back in an estate where the council took over. It was the same in Fairfield Meadows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

I’ve experience living in housing estates all my life. My advice to people is to never, ever consider buying a house in a housing estate if you can avoid it.

Growing up, I lived in a working class council estate. At least 95% of the people living in the estate were the most genuine, decent people you’d ever meet. Unfortunately, the other small percentage destroyed the estate. Luckily, none of my close family live there anymore.

When I bought my first house, I bought in a new development on the edge of my town. It was a lovely development. Lovely neighbours. Over time, this changed. A couple of families moved in (social and rent allowance) and within 10 years, we were having bins/cars been burned out, tires slashed, windows broken in, etc.

We sold up and got a nice place outside town.

If you can avoid a house in a housing estate (new developments), in most instances, avoid it. Whatever you do, don’t go down a mortgage for one.

GY_1980 wrote: »
    I’ve experience living in housing estates all my life. My advice to people is to never, ever consider buying a house in a housing estate if you can avoid it.

Growing up, I lived in a working class council estate. At least 95% of the people living in the estate were the most genuine, decent people you’d ever meet. Unfortunately, the other small percentage destroyed the estate. Luckily, none of my close family live there anymore.

When I bought my first house, I bought in a new development on the edge of my town. It was a lovely development. Lovely neighbours. Over time, this changed. A couple of families moved in (social and rent allowance) and within 10 years, we were having bins/cars been burned out, tires slashed, windows broken in, etc.

If you can avoid a house in a housing estate (new developments), in most instances, avoid it. Whatever you do, don’t go down a mortgage for one.

Agree 100

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GY_1980 wrote: »

That's a very sweeping statement. Bought into a new and fairly large estate coming up on 20 years ago. Extremely quiet place. No trouble of the kind mentioned here. Not everywhere is a warzone.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's a very sweeping statement. Bought into a new and fairly large estate coming up on 20 years ago. Extremely quiet place. No trouble of the kind mentioned here. Not everywhere is a warzone.

Obviously no large council 🠠presence then,or house's taken over by the council,as any I live in one in Carrigaline and at times it's not pretty,
    One evicted last year- heroin and prostitution
    Another waiting for eviction
    ( Cluid housing)
    At times it's grand but sometimes awful, noise- fighting etc,no civic pride

TBF he /she is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TBF he /she is correct

Nope don't think so. There can be issues in some places but as I mentioned, not everywhere is a warzone.

Nope don't think so. There can be issues in some places but as I mentioned, not everywhere is a warzone.

Issues everywhere council houses are end of
    Born raised in uam var Ave this crap would not be tolerated end of.
    Live in a mixed area of social/ affordable housing and this stuff goes on and is accepted different standards
    Not always mad but since Christmas we've had 2 evictions ( one waiting to be shipped out)
    Cluid housing actually try and make tenants behave, cork co co and City councils don't

Reared in uam var Ave Bishopstown,this never happened, wouldn't be at all accepted
    Live in a mixed social housing area,it does happen and it's accepted as the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

A lot of the kids involved last night were seen running into houses that cost upwards of 350k in Mount oval and Broadale (they were seen running via the woods).

these houses are rarely used for social housing, the apartment/duplex's/ apartment blocks are, blaming it all on social housing is a mistake that allows these teens to feel invincible because they are sitting at home online seeing these comments and thinking "ha they don't even know it's me" and it stops the actual parents of these teenagers thinking their kids are the problem because they aren't "social housing".

A lot of the teenagers hanging out in groups around the whole Maryborough area are known by those who know them to be the children who are home alone all day and most of the evening as both parents are out working until 7/8/9pm or out for their runs/jog's leaving the kids bored, with loads of money and nothing else to do, no rules and nobody at home to tell them no...

but yeah keep on blaming the social housing tenants good and bad when it's parenting thats the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Any parent of an older teen in the Rochestown area who isn't grilling their child over their whereabouts last night is responsible for this. In fact if you are a parent and your child was not at home during a lockdown...you are responsible for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

never knew there was council estates up there no wonder ive heard nothing but grief up there the last few years -these council estates are nothing but trouble in the most part single mothers ,dole heads and their off springs

Look, the real problem here is that Ireland doesn't have any real justice system.

Look, the real problem here is that Ireland doesn't have any real justice system.

Never as simple as that. Upbringing and parental responsibility much more important to prevent this kinda crap rather than a justice system. There is a real justice system in the States and this doesn't prevent this crap there either. It is a societal issue rather than a justice issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

There are no consequences for these guys. No consequences for the guy that burnt down the shop in Mount Hovel and the dogs on the street knew he was. No consequences for the guys that burnt down the beautiful old house at Vernon Mount and again the dogs on the street knew who they were.
    A lot of the guys in the video are in fee paying schools in the city.

Ludo wrote: »
    Never as simple as that. Upbringing and parental responsibility much more important to prevent this kinda crap rather than a justice system. There is a real justice system in the States and this doesn't prevent this crap there either. It is a societal issue rather than a justice issue.

Yep

• Advertisement

mean gene wrote: »
    never knew there was council estates up there no wonder ive heard nothing but grief up there the last few years -these council estates are nothing but trouble in the most part single mothers ,dole heads and their off springs

Not all though I live in one,some are normal,pay taxes,don't cause hassle,but a huge percent of those living nearby don't give a feck,
    Majority of ppl who get houses for free so t relaise how lucky they are

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wavert

There isn't council estates up there. It has nothing to do with council estates.

This was a group of teenagers, some from the area, others not. Majority from middle class families living in 300k+ house.

No one to blame here but parents. We are supposed to be in the middle of a lockdown. These teenagers certainly were not practicing social distancing!

I'd also question where the guards were. They shouldn't have to be dealing with this (parents should have their children under control) but there were multiple phonecalls to inform them of the gathering and lack of social distancing. Even after the fight broke out they didn't show up for 20 minutes.

I've heard from multiple schools that these organised fights are a thing. And mainly from the "posh" schools. Alot has changed since my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

mean gene wrote: »

I’ve lived in Rochestown for a very long time - well before Mount Oval was built and before there were any council houses. Council houses are not the problem here as far as I can see. People converge in the area outside the shop In Mount Oval and they are coming from everywhere, not just Rochestown. Believe it or not some parents are still dropping kids to Mount Oval to hang out and I say this because I’ve seen it. Another problem is the teenage drinking that goes on in Garryduff woods and again this is by teens from all over. Before people go blaming the tenants in council houses think on and cast an eye in the direction of the parents, private house owners as well as council tenants, who don’t know or care what their teenagers are getting up to. If parents controlled their own kids we’d have a lot less of this type of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

I’m sure there will be places where issues don’t arise. My experiences were awful. Based on those, I’d advise anyone to avoid buying in a housing estate, especially new developments (where reputation can’t be gaged), if it’s possible. In 10-15 years, it’s possible the place will be a kip. You will regret it and it will make your life and your family’s lives a complete misery if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Not all though I live in one,some are normal,pay taxes,don't cause hassle,but a huge percent of those living nearby don't give a feck,
    Majority of ppl who get houses for free so t relaise how lucky they are

agree some lovely people in council estates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

For a small country Ireland produces some of the finest pond rats known to mankind.
    Pedigree,self entitled pond rats wits a constant want on them.

For a small country Ireland produces some of the finest pond rats known to mankind.
    Pedigree,self entitled pond rats wits a constant want on them.

Sothe same as every other country then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ludo wrote: »
    Sothe same as every other country then :rolleyes:

Yes but throw in a generous welfare system and gps who pretty much offer addicts a chemical menu on a medical card system, and stand back and watch said pond rat population thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The housing estate where I live is 75/25 private/social housing, over 100 houses in the estate, a small pocket of tenants (2-3) clash the odd time, but it’s otherwise quiet, the biggest issue is some home owners thinking they have power over council tenants and if they don’t like what they see, washing cars for example, they are reported to city hall, yet if a home owner did it there’s no issue. Long story short there is a vendetta against council tenants due to a very small minority giving others a label/bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The baseball bat, the balaclava and a nice drive down the wood was a good deterrent, whether you agreed or not it was certainly effective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement