Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Oval

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

The housing estate where I live is 75/25 private/social housing, over 100 houses in the estate, a small pocket of tenants (2-3) clash the odd time, but it’s otherwise quiet, the biggest issue is some home owners thinking they have power over council tenants and if they don’t like what they see, washing cars for example, they are reported to city hall, yet if a home owner did it there’s no issue. Long story short there is a vendetta against council tenants due to a very small minority giving others a label/bad name.
    Thats not good , never heard the like,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Thats not good , never heard the like,,,

Only for I want to retain my anonymity I’d give out the details and say come on down and see for yourself. The guy doing it most is a stuck up banker. I’m a council tenant myself and they have been to my door more than once over it, I can’t even wash my backyard in peace but I’m not alone. It’s like big brother here with cameras everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The baseball bat, the balaclava and a nice drive down the wood was a good deterrent, whether you agreed or not it was certainly effective.

Spose we should hand power over to the RA then let them deal with.God help you when you cross one of their darling sons,the balaclava guys will be coming for you,doesn't work either.

If people only knew how these social problems are contrived they would change their tune about a lot of things.Tusla are actively and intentionally separating fathers from their kids.If someone addressed what Tusla were up to the whole country would be a lot better for all of us.The child protection agency is literally doing the opposite of what its meant to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

The housing estate where I live is 75/25 private/social housing, over 100 houses in the estate, a small pocket of tenants (2-3) clash the odd time, but it’s otherwise quiet, the biggest issue is some home owners thinking they have power over council tenants and if they don’t like what they see, washing cars for example, they are reported to city hall, yet if a home owner did it there’s no issue. Long story short there is a vendetta against council tenants due to a very small minority giving others a label/bad name.

Sounds a lot like the place I lived. At first, it was just a couple of families. Over time, this grew to about 8-10 families. Once children were older in secondary school, friends from other estates started hanging around, drinking etc.

Tension grew in the estate. People who complained were targeted with burned out cars and broken windows. On one occasion, this scum ran through the estate one night and started lighting fires to wheelie bins. I remember getting up that night, going outside, and looking up the estate. It was like war zone.

I hope you can avoid that type of future.

By the way, we also had the stuck up people. Not ideal. But they are not going to set your car on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Spose we should hand power over to the RA then let them deal with.God help you when you cross one of their darling sons,the balaclava guys will be coming for you,doesn't work either.

If people only knew how these social problems are contrived they would change their tune about a lot of things.Tusla are actively and intentionally separating fathers from their kids.If someone addressed what Tusla were up to the whole country would be a lot better for all of us.The child protection agency is literally doing the opposite of what its meant to be doing.

Worked fine around this part of the world. The justice system in this country is a joke. Same scumbags are ever present in the courts yet never get punished for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Worked fine around this part of the world. The justice system in this country is a joke. Same scumbags are ever present in the courts yet never get punished for it.

You won't get any disagreement from me on the Justice system in this country,it's an absolute shambles and most people don't realise just how bad it is.

The more convictions you have the lighter the sentence,come in with no convictions and expect to have the book thrown at you.I don't know the answer to it,but expect it to get a lot worse when the bill arrives for this pandemic farce.Country is not gonna be livable in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Must say I'd noticed mount oval was going downhill over the last few 12-18 months. Seems to be an awful lot of council estate types in the area these days. I'm not sure what has happened to the area but it will be tough to turn it around. Hopefully this incident might be th turning point to bring the area back up...somehow I doubt it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Half the issue is the lack of Gardai. Look at the geographic area the Togher area is expected to cover, it's crazy with just a few squad cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Half the issue is the lack of Gardai. Look at the geographic area the Togher area is expected to cover, it's crazy with just a few squad cars.

Douglas Garda Station closed the majority of the time too. I've also noticed recently how unreliable calls to the local station or Togher can be. Many times the phone just rings out.

Douglas Garda Station closed the majority of the time too. I've also noticed recently how unreliable calls to the local station or Togher can be. Many times the phone just rings out.

The only evening / night stations are Togher covering as far as I know ballincollig to carrigaline, Mayfield covering all Northside and out to Glanmire, little Island and glounthane , anglesea at covering centre .

With the best will in the world the lack of local stations at night means alot of pressure put on Togher , Mayfield and Anglesea at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

The only evening / night stations are Togher covering as far as I know ballincollig to carrigaline, Mayfield covering all Northside and out to Glanmire, little Island and glounthane , anglesea at covering centre .

With the best will in the world the lack of local stations at night means alot of pressure put on Togher , Mayfield and Anglesea at night.

This government need to ****ing man up and open the bloody Garda stations,this shilly shally crap of opening a few hours a day isn't bloody on

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

I saw there were a few houses up for sale there 300K+ in Clonlea Mount Oval. Was there yesterday and saw a gang of around 10 teens hanging out. Shall I look somewhere else. Appreciate your input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Glory83 wrote: »
    I saw there were a few houses up for sale there 300K+ in Clonlea Mount Oval. Was there yesterday and saw a gang of around 10 teens hanging out. Shall I look somewhere else. Appreciate your input

Reading this thread what do think ?
    Run a mile while you can

To be honest outside of the current issues , which I hope the Gardai and parents take seriously . If I had 300k+ to spend on a house I would prefer to be somewhere either more central in the city or more remote.

Mount Oval and the whole area to me feel like a never ending estate where you are miles from Douglas , but the houses are sold on the premise you are just up the road. The reality is you need to get in the car to get anywhere or do anything.

That's just my opinion , I am sure there are plenty who are perfectly happy up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

When my kids were younger we used to go to play grounds all over the city, I stopped going to the one in Douglas as it was full of middle class teen agers always looking for trouble, it was the only place I nearly thumped a teenager, scum bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

To be honest outside of the current issues , which I hope the Gardai and parents take seriously . If I had 300k+ to spend on a house I would prefer to be somewhere either more central in the city or more remote.

Mount Oval and the whole area to me feel like a never ending estate where you are miles from Douglas , but the houses are sold on the premise you are just up the road. The reality is you need to get in the car to get anywhere or do anything.

That's just my opinion , I am sure there are plenty who are perfectly happy up there.

There is a pub, shop, gym, restaurant, hairdresser just where the fighting was happening, it’s an over priced part of the suburbs, with terrible traffic and some of the snobbiest people alive. I wouldn’t live there but it does have facilities.

As much as people are making this a geographic, societal, legislative, socioeconomic problem you are missing the simple truth.

Boys that are around their mid late teens fight. It’s been happening since the dawn of time and won’t stop because people suddenly are being outraged on the internet.

Hormones, boredom, masculinity whatever contributes to it I’m no psychologist but boys/ teenagers / young men have varying levels of aggression that spill over. Maybe it’s exacerbated in the current times because the usual outlets of sport don’t exist but it’s always been happening.

Nobody was hurt significantly, nobody in hospital. No big deal.

mcko wrote: »
    When my kids were younger we used to go to play grounds all over the city, I stopped going to the one in Douglas as it was full of middle class teen agers always looking for trouble, it was the only place I nearly thumped a teenager, scum bags.

If you do that now it will cost you both criminally and financially sadly. The younger generation are driven by the compo culture.

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like the place I lived. At first, it was just a couple of families. Over time, this grew to about 8-10 families. Once children were older in secondary school, friends from other estates started hanging around, drinking etc.

Tension grew in the estate. People who complained were targeted with burned out cars and broken windows. On one occasion, this scum ran through the estate one night and started lighting fires to wheelie bins. I remember getting up that night, going outside, and looking up the estate. It was like war zone.

I hope you can avoid that type of future.

By the way, we also had the stuck up people. Not ideal. But they are not going to set your car on fire.
    There's no drinking around here, not that i've noticed anyway, but most of the kids/teens congregating are from other estates.

As for the tension in the estate, that was also mirrors here, but once 2 tenants left that was more or less the end of it, the illegal dumping remains however.

The thing with stuck up people around here is, yes they won't burn your car, but the slightest thing and they will go to City Hall or the community guard, i've lost count of the amount of times that one person has tried to provoke a reaction, as if i do i can be evicted, home owners can't. Now in saying that i don't like it here but it is what it is and i just have to deal with it. My work brought me into mount oval and the wider geographical area around it for a few years in the last decade, i would have said at the time i'd gladly live there, now though i'm not so sure. Is Foxwood still quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If you do that now it will cost you both criminally and financially sadly. The younger generation are driven by the compo culture.

And it should cost you, a mature adult punching someone half their age and half their size is not right. The adult is the mature one, you should know to walk away long before it’s needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I live near Maryborough Hill/Clarke's Hill and I'm there quite often on my runs so I know the area very well

There are some extremely nice parts of that area of the city and I'll explain why I think some are nice and some aren't. Firstly, the nice. Parks like Lissadell, Broadale, Landsborough and Foxwood feel exactly like that - a park. Other than the school in Foxwood and the shopping area in Broadale which is at the very front of the park, the only reason anyone ever has to go into any of these parks is if you live there. They're all extremely well maintained, nice and busy with just people who live in the park using the green areas, a mix of older people, grown families and young families, etc. The only one that feels like open to non residents is Broadale because of the shop, doctor, pharmacy, dentist, barbers and hairdressers. But again, it's right at the entrance so non residents using it don't really enter the park. In all my years living here I have never seen any hassle in any of these parks. Broadale had some for a very short while (and not even hassle, more of an escape route) because of people using the wooded area to get out of Mount Oval, however that has been completely blocked off and impassable for a few years now (funnily enough, on the Mount Oval side)

Mount Oval is the opposite. It's made to feel like a destination. Mount Oval village. Rather than just an extension of Maryborough/Garryduff/Moneygourney like the rest of that area of the city, it's supposed to feel like it's own area. It's also huge. You really don't realise how big it is until you walk around it. There are all types of houses in it. Big houses at the front that look like they could cost millions, ordinary detached and semi detached houses, terraced houses, duplexes, apartments. People of all ages and all different types of families. There are only two ways in and out, both far away from the central core of the park and almost hidden. While the other parks I mentioned feel close enough to walk between while being distinct, Mount Oval feels miles away from anything else in the area. Unlike Broadale, the main shopping area is in the very centre of the park. You have to pass through half of the park just to get to it. Rather than being just the buildings and some parking like Broadale, it is again made to feel like a destination - seating around a central clock tower, a large amount of parking, etc. There are also a lot of little service laneways that people can easily use to hide. Therefore, it attracts people, and because of the shop, often young people. While the other parks in the area listed (plus many more like Thornburry, Monswood, Upper Kensington, Mount Ovel, etc) feel like residential areas, this feels like a mix of residential and commercial. People from all over the south east of the city come here to gather

I'm not sure why the area attracts teens like the ones the other night. I have noticed this over the last few months too when I'm running or walking. I have two theories. One, as mentioned, is the shop and commercial area. It's so large that there are loads of places to hide and reason to hang out here. It's attractive right off the bat. Second of all, it's right by Garryduff Woods. I love this area during the day, especially in summer. It's beautiful and heavily used. At night, I wouldn't step foot in it. It's probably one of the only wooded areas of the city that isn't in the middle of nowhere or the greenbelt. It's extremely hidden from houses with no lighting and attracts young people drinking, smoking or whatever else they want to do. When they come out, they don't want to go to Foxwood or Broadale or Foxwarren - why would they, it's just houses, trees, etc. Mount Oval on the other hand, that becomes very attractive. Also, easily access from the Line for people from Mahon and Blackrock while not being as far up the hill as the other parks

I think if something is to be done apart this park, it has to be the entrance situation and the commercial area. The park is way too big to be something like Landsborough or Broadale, and so it needs to become more permeable like Maryborough Woods, another large park in the area. It has the 216 bus run through it so while it only has two entrances too, they feel more like a main road (like Maryborough Estate) and so there is constant surveillance and activity. I believe Mount Oval residents objected to the 216 going through their park? I think if it was to run through the park from Dewberry to Clarke's Wood and back onto the hill, that would help a lot with making the park feel more alive and less like a hiding spot for teens. As for the commercial area, close off the laneways and service alleys. Make it harder to sneak into and run out of, as well as hide in the dark corners. Remove the seating around the clock tower and make it feel more like a stop off point like Broadale rather than somewhere to go to to sit down

Sorry for the long post, I'd like to hear what the rest of you think of this analysis. I tried to make it more in depth and use my knowledge of the area rather than just saying "too many posh and social housing people!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Boys that are around their mid late teens fight. It’s been happening since the dawn of time and won’t stop because people suddenly are being outraged on the internet.

Hormones, boredom, masculinity whatever contributes to it I’m no psychologist but boys/ teenagers / young men have varying levels of aggression that spill over. Maybe it’s exacerbated in the current times because the usual outlets of sport don’t exist but it’s always been happening.

Fair point alright. This is also why it is important to gat things like GAA and soccer back ASAP. Sport gives an outlet for the energy and aggression. Doesn't solve the problem but does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'm not sure why the area attracts teens like the ones the other night.

1. Because their parents don't give a toss. Bury head in sand, if I can't see it then its not happening type logic.

or

2. Feral kids are usually (not always) that way because there's zero parental discipline. Or see point 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

1. Because their parents don't give a toss. Bury head in sand, if I can't see it then its not happening type logic.

or

2. Feral kids are usually (not always) that way because there's zero parental discipline. Or see point 1.

A few years ago, youngfellas used to come from all over Wilton, Togher and the 'Hane to do pugilism with the strapping young rugger buggers of B'Town outside Dino's chipper. You wouldn't see too many of them from bad or poor homes, just youngfellas doing the knob. The local rozzers eventually lit a fire under them after receiving sufficient complaint. Mind you, that was quite near such notorious hot-spots of crime and poverty as Firgrove, Westgate and Melbourn Road... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Is there any truth that the majority of those that were there had travelled from ballincollig? Heard somewhere that the bus goes direct between there and mount oval.

Is there any truth that the majority of those that were there had travelled from ballincollig? Heard somewhere that the bus goes direct between there and mount oval.

Near enough - the Southside orbital, route 220, stops at Maryborough Hill anyway. I'd imagine the local chaws out Ballincollig way are making good use of it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

jimgoose wrote:
    Near enough - the Southside orbital, route 220, stops at Maryborough Hill anyway. I'd imagine the local chaws out Ballincollig way are making good use of it.

Looks like it was fairly well organised, so I'd say it wasn't just a meet up by chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is basically the same thing as the Faction Fighting of the 1700s and 1800s. Young men, with nothing to do, setting up semi-organised brawls just for the pure thrill of it. And now, as back then, you have the girlfriends running after them and looking on trying to get them to stop or else egging them on.
    Different century, same old craic.
    Back then the fights were scheduled for parish pattern days and fair days whereas now they are obviously using social media to set them up.
    One of the reasons the GAA was founded was as a diversion for young men so they could channel their energy and time into the more civilised and worthwhile past time of sports rather than battering the heads off eachother.

http://www.doonbleisce.com/faction_fighting.htm

"They fought for the sheer love of fighting"

A few years back the same carry on was going on between gangs of young fellas from Monkstown and Passage West. One gang or other would go to the other village and kick the shít out of each other for a half hour.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Reading this thread what do think ?
    Run a mile while you can

I was under a false impression of the area being decent because it has Rochestown address in it :)

Thank you for your feedback. I live in Blackrock and work in Mahon. The apartment is getting small after the arrival of my first baby. Therefore, I have been checking areas that have a decent reputation and not far away from my work. Rochestown is one of them.
    I would love to find something in Blackrock. But this part of the City is so expensive that you would not get much in terms of size for 300K+ houses. You would be looking for at least 380K+. Probably, it is off topic anyway.

• Advertisement

Glory83 wrote: »
    I was under a false impression of the area being decent because it has Rochestown address in it :)

Mount Oval/Rochestown is fine - see my post above, you wouldn't know where would suddenly become fashionable to congregate for bush-drinking and/or a few slaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement