Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Oval

Options

Comments

There is a pub, shop, gym, restaurant, hairdresser just where the fighting was happening, it’s an over priced part of the suburbs, with terrible traffic and some of the snobbiest people alive. I wouldn’t live there but it does have facilities.

As much as people are making this a geographic, societal, legislative, socioeconomic problem you are missing the simple truth.

Boys that are around their mid late teens fight. It’s been happening since the dawn of time and won’t stop because people suddenly are being outraged on the internet.

Hormones, boredom, masculinity whatever contributes to it I’m no psychologist but boys/ teenagers / young men have varying levels of aggression that spill over. Maybe it’s exacerbated in the current times because the usual outlets of sport don’t exist but it’s always been happening.

Nobody was hurt significantly, nobody in hospital. No big deal.

The video looked to me like a bunch of wimpy fools beating up a single kid. That's not "fighting", that's cowardly scum. Stand up and fight one one one like real men used to do. None of this kicking people in the head scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mount Oval/Rochestown is fine - see my post above, you wouldn't know where would suddenly become fashionable to congregate for bush-drinking and/or a few slaps.

Thanks. I checked the area and it was absolutely a large one. There are always bad eggs everywhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

It's important to remember that this thing isn't common at all, 99% of the time the area is perfectly fine. This stuff happens everywhere, it's just a bit concerning in Mount Oval as it seems set up in a way this could get out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The video looked to me like a bunch of wimpy fools beating up a single kid. That's not "fighting", that's cowardly scum. Stand up and fight one one one like real men used to do. None of this kicking people in the head scumbaggery.

Your watching a different video so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, grown men punching the face off each other is "honourable", is it?
    People who think this are part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yes, grown men punching the face off each other is "honourable", is it?
    People who think this are part of the problem.

Yeah ya see there's honorable scummbaggery and there's just scumbaggery scumbaggery. :confused:

How about the little scuts go off to a field to sort it out instead. Because to be honest I couldn't give a fig what happens to them. Feral kids / teenagers are going to scrap now and then. Let their parents deal with the aftermath. But when its happening in and around honest working people trying to get from A to B then they're making it everyone else's problem and potentially putting others at harm.

As has been suggested earlier this cohort answer to no one. Law can't touch them, if an adult intervenes they'll either get battered or accused of being aggressive with or intimidating a minor. They know this too so its near impossible to actually meet this behavior with any sort of deterrent.

It really doesn't matter what their socio economic status is or if they're travelling from other areas. This 100% reflects the parenting or lack of it and our laughably ineffective legal system.

Also the fact we have about 8 gards in the entire country doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Looks like it was fairly well organised, so I'd say it wasn't just a meet up by chance.

Absolutely, there was organisation behind this. The drinking meetup in Garryduff Woods which was broken up earlier in the evening was well known to all the teens in the area. Some obviously reported it to parents etc and so the Gardai moved them all on. They came from all over for this. Unfortunately, it looks like some headed for Mount Oval after being dispersed from Garryduff Woods and presumably decided to "take on" the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Reared in uam var Ave Bishopstown,this never happened, wouldn't be at all accepted
    Live in a mixed social housing area,it does happen and it's accepted as the norm

Born and lived in Uam Var Avenue for 21years its the quietest place on earth and its sandwiched between 2 large housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

rob316 wrote: »
    Born and lived in Uam Var Avenue for 21years its the quietest place on earth and its sandwiched between 2 large housing estates.

There since 63 unfortunately house sold due to parents death etc, all were working class mostly dunlops/ Ford's etc , so came from nothing but instilled in us all living there a civic pride,
    Our parents expected us to behave , don't disturb neighbours, and respect elderly, we did/ do,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bloody scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

A few years back the same carry on was going on between gangs of young fellas from Monkstown and Passage West. One gang or other would go to the other village and kick the shít out of each other for a half hour.

I’m guessing the Passage lads usually prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The housing estate where I live is 75/25 private/social housing, over 100 houses in the estate, a small pocket of tenants (2-3) clash the odd time, but it’s otherwise quiet, the biggest issue is some home owners thinking they have power over council tenants and if they don’t like what they see, washing cars for example, they are reported to city hall, yet if a home owner did it there’s no issue. Long story short there is a vendetta against council tenants due to a very small minority giving others a label/bad name.

Why is there an issue with people washing their cars? I assume you are talking about washing your own car and not running a valeting service.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

yenom wrote: »
    That goes on everywhere in the city, in all parts. I know the people in Togher got their money back in an estate where the council took over. It was the same in Fairfield Meadows.

Those who mortgaged homes in Fairfield Meadows got their money back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Most thugs these days know there’s few guards around and if one of them does catch you the judges will swallow any cock and bull story . Free legal aid solicitors are kind of like seanachis of old telling tall yarns for money with no moral conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Those who mortgaged homes in Fairfield Meadows got their money back??

My friend got his deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Courts are too lenient with their sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

washing cars?

Why is this a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

Has anyone considered that bored drunk young lads regardless of social background love a scrap every now and then? Conor McGregor (twat) is a hero to lots of young lads these days and MMA will be a massive influence.
    Seeing the mass brawl in Mount Oval is boys being boys, its a lot different imo from a gang of lads jumping a loner and beating/robbing them, thats scumbag behavior. This fight looked to be fair in numbers on both sides.
    As for the lots of sightings of "teenagers getting off of buses" at Mount Oval : If i was from the local area and carrying a slab of beer i'd probably get the bus up that hill too!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

yenom wrote: »
    My friend got his deposit back.

Understandable & fair dues. I was working in construction for colmans and built that estate over 10 years ago now. Was lovely when finished but 2-3 years later it was like driving into Baghdad lol, place was destroyed ffs...

Usir wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that bored drunk young lads regardless of social background love a scrap every now and then? Conor McGregor (twat) is a hero to lots of young lads these days and MMA will be a massive influence.
    Seeing the mass brawl in Mount Oval is boys being boys, its a lot different imo from a gang of lads jumping a loner and beating/robbing them, thats scumbag behavior. This fight looked to be fair in numbers on both sides.
    As for the lots of sightings of "teenagers getting off of buses" at Mount Oval : If i was from the local area and carrying a slab of beer i'd probably get the bus up that hill too!

If they want to scrap then **** off up the woods not in the middle of a built up area,no shagging excuses for what went on,mampy pampy crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Understandable & fair dues. I was working in construction for colmans and built that estate over 10 years ago now. Was lovely when finished but 2-3 years later it was like driving into Baghdad lol, place was destroyed ffs...

They had the public order unit up there the first month it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

We should borrow a few French or Spanish cops for a while I'm sure they would sort them out pretty quick.

Usir wrote: »
    washing cars?

Why is this a problem?

That's a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Apparently there has been another incident in Carrigaline tonight

Nevermind it's Douglas.

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1269404511707283463?s=20

Young fella been stabbed apparently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Apparently there has been another incident in Carrigaline tonight

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1269404511707283463?s=19

Video doing the rounds apparently it's not nice

edit: just saw the video, not nice jesus christ

Armed support unit raided the 220 in douglas, lads from ballincollig apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Just saw the video.
    Black fella from ballincollig repeatedly stabbing a young fella who is on the ground in the back.

He's named on the video so very easy one for the cops.
    I've even been able to find his Facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Did anyone see the stabbing video with the lads from Ballincollig in Carrigaline and subsequent arrest in Douglas?

****There's some indications that it's racially motivated. The lads stabbing yer man are shouting that he posted stuff about slavery online?****

Have edited this post to point out that I'm being told that is a second video with different lads kicking the head off another youngfella from last week in Limerick. Very similar situation but apparently they knew each other whereas the Ballincollig lads just went to Carrigaline to start sh!t with whoever.

They just jumped him unprovoked. Hopefully there's gonna be four youngfellas on their way to Oberstown in the morning.

Oh just saw the posts above, sorry
    515522.png
    515521.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement