Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Oval

Options

Comments

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I know this is reactive as opposed to proactive but there should be zero tolerance for anyone involved in knife crime. Courts need to step up here and impose proper sentences.
    I agree. It needs to be dealt with swiftly also,there is no justification for carrying a knife imo .
    I also think there's a drama/attention seeking vibe from all these incidents, they're recorded and shared as soon as they happen. Hard to believe that so many of that age group can stand back,watch and record without either trying to help or just running away from area. They seem totally desensitized and lacking in any normal empathy for the victims, its just watch,record and share asap.

I'm not sure what the guards can do,they can't be everywhere and its impossible to preempt these incidents,also they know that the system is too lenient and won't deter anyone that age from stabbing, attacking etc. I regularly see the guards doing random searches of that age group but I think a lot of it is for show, they'll stop and search the regular teens but not the obvious ones because they'll be told to f off ,that's just my own opinion from what I see and hear from my own kids and their friends.
    We had a fear of our parents and the guards but there's no fear of anyone or anything now so I can't see these incidents happening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

mean gene wrote: »
    Doubt that it was obviously premeditated and he was picked out.
    Think we all know these youths have been coming to Douglas where they were run out of and carrigaline since that bus service was introduced. This crime was attempted murder and this scut should get a hefty sentence.
    This is not the first time minority groups have ganged up on locals in carrigaline the law are afraid of them. Know of a lad who got the sh1t kicked out of him down there a few months back similar circumstances and nowt happened to them.
    Sickening

It was over bus money. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Make no mistake, this kid will go to jail.

He’ll be sent to a cushy juvenile centre like the boy who killed Cameron Blair was. They should be sent to Cork prison since they want to act like hard men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

He’ll be sent to a cushy juvenile centre like the boy who killed Cameron Blair was. They should be sent to Cork prison since they want to act like hard men.

He's 17 so even if he, and the boy who killed Cameron Blair who is also 17, they should be transferred to adult prison when they turn 18, so a year in there. Agree though * depending on the severity * and if over 16 they should be sent straight to adult prison.

I always just find it hard to think about what's going through their heads. Never in the life of me could I ever think about stabbing somebody, it just seems to wrong and awful. Only a few years older then those guys but clearly totally different situations have occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

He's 17 so even if he, and the boy who killed Cameron Blair who is also 17, they should be transferred to adult prison when they turn 18, so a year in there. Agree though * depending on the severity * and if over 16 they should be sent straight to adult prison.

I always just find it hard to think about what's going through their heads. Never in the life of me could I ever think about stabbing somebody, it just seems to wrong and awful. Only a few years older then those guys but clearly totally different situations have occured.

What's most disturbing is that it wasn't a heat of the moment thing that got out of hand. That poor young fella was immobile on the ground while he was repeatedly stabbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

He's 17 so even if he, and the boy who killed Cameron Blair who is also 17, they should be transferred to adult prison when they turn 18, so a year in there.

I think I read last week that the person who had killed Cameron has now turned 18 and has been transferred to adult prison

I think I read last week that the person who had killed Cameron has now turned 18 and has been transferred to adult prison

Don’t know where you read that because he’s definitely not 18 yet.

In my opinion if it wasn't bus money it would be something else,he was carrying a knife so any excuse to use it I'd say, it could so easily have been a murder, they just don't give a s*it, just a usual Saturday night incident at this stage.

In my opinion if it wasn't bus money it would be something else,he was carrying a knife so any excuse to use it I'd say, it could so easily have been a murder, they just don't give a s*it, just a usual Saturday night incident at this stage.

Your opinion doesn’t really matter when it’s a fact. It was over €2, it was completely unprovoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Its not the white on black, black on white / (replace black with traveller, other minority etc.) violence or otherwise.....its the hypocrisy displayed in society, through mainstream and social media.
    Portray the narrative... the majority native population have racism ingrained in them, yet purposely fail to use the same approach when the shoe is on the other foot.

Ironically these foreign movements like BLM etc. might breed racism in places it didn't really exist, simply by encouraging a divide. Maybe it's intentional and not falling into irony, who knows.

• Advertisement

Your opinion doesn’t really matter when it’s a fact. It was over €2, it was completely unprovoked.

What are you on about? Exactly it was unprovoked because he was going to probably to it to someone anyway, why else was he carrying a knife.
    Also I'm entitled to my opinion, I saw the recording last night, I have kids that age group, you're not the expert on the thread.

What are you on about? Exactly it was unprovoked because he was going to probably to it to someone anyway, why else was he carrying a knife.
    Also I'm entitled to my opinion, I saw the recording last night, I have kids that age group, you're not the expert on the thread.

I know the people involved. I know their friends. It was over bus money. You’re painting a false narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

What's most disturbing is that it wasn't a heat of the moment thing that got out of hand. That poor young fella was immobile on the ground while he was repeatedly stabbed.

I think the level of violence and lack of any empathy of those involved is scary. I think arguments re whether this was a racially motivated attack or one due to a shake down for 2 euro is irrelevant. We should be asking why a teenager thought it was ok to carry a knife , why he thought it was ok to repeatedly beat and stab someone and why those he was with thought it was ok to film and upload it and why it was ok to laugh at what was happening. I think all those involved on the sidelines as it were should be charged with at least a public order offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

It's probably not your intent but citing it was over bus money appears to trivialize it. I don't know know the full story but semantics here are important. So they were robbing him at knifepoint and when he put up a resistance he was stabbed? It sounds different when we phrase it like that...

This level of violence can't have manifest overnight, there must have been red flags with this gang of gurriers. I'm amazed at the arrogance of recording and uploading it.. there seems to be zero fear of the consequences. The trauma that this young lad and his girlfriend will endure will no doubt be lifelong.

So why was he kicking someone’s head in the day before?? Bus money again??

This bus money detail is completely irrelevant.
    What a stupid thing to be arguing about here.

It's probably not your intent but citing it was over bus money appears to trivialize it. I don't know know the full story but semantics here are important. So they were robbing him at knifepoint and when he put up a resistance he was stabbed? It sounds different when we phrase it like that...

This level of violence can't have manifest overnight, there must have been red flags with this gang of gurriers. I'm amazed at the arrogance of recording and uploading it.. there seems to be zero fear of the consequences. The trauma that this young lad and his girlfriend will endure will no doubt be lifelong.

The level of violence in that video is shocking and to do that to someone over 2 euro is scary and frankly disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s quite depressing to see this being turned into a race issue on FB and Twitter, many on there are saying we should protest against this, as if the victim was stabbed for being white.
    He was stabbed because the perpetrator is an absolute scumbag, I’ve seen or heard nothing that would lead me to believe it was a racially motivated attack carried out purely because the victim is white.

There are calls for a White Lives Matter protest to be held this week, this has potential to get very very ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So why was he kicking someone’s head in the day before?? Bus money again??

Yeah he has been doing the bus money crap on other threads! Guarantee he wouldn't be highlighting the bus money if the roles were reversed! The perp was attacking another teenage boy. With a bottle a few days previous

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s quite depressing to see this being turned into a race issue on FB and Twitter, many on there are saying we should protest against this, as if the victim was stabbed for being white.
    He was stabbed because the perpetrator is an absolute scumbag, I’ve seen or heard nothing that would lead me to believe it was a racially motivated attack carried out purely because the victim is white.

There are calls for a White Lives Matter protest to be held this week, this has potential to get very very ugly.

Thankfully, here, most posters seem to realise that skin colour is irrelevant to this situation.
    Most.

It's one of the things I like about the Cork City thread. While I regularly disagree (often vehemently) with other posters here, it rarely descends into the racist, xenophobic, discriminatory cesspit that social media often becomes.

(I hope I haven't spoken too soon)

• Advertisement

I know the people involved. I know their friends. It was over bus money. You’re painting a false narrative.

What exactly are you saying? Is it that he took a knife out with him for the sole purpose of getting bus money and no other reason?

I feel really sorry for his family. Anxious and difficult time as is without having the whole incident blow up on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Let's be honest here, if the roles were reversed this most certainly would be a massive story, a racially motivated attack caught on camera and watched all over the western world media. But the roles on this occasion don't fit the current BLM narrative so it's largely ignored.

It's naivety to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The perpetrators address and Eircode have been posted in several different places on Instagram and there are people sharing it, threatening to stab/kill him in revenge for last nights incident.
    I hope his parents and siblings don’t end up getting attacked or assaulted because of what their son did.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Don’t know where you read that because he’s definitely not 18 yet.

I knew I read it somewhere.
    It was reported on the Evening Echo on May 20th re: Cameron Blair’s killer
    “he was moved to Wheatfield prison on Friday, on his 18th birthday, from Oberstown Children Detention Campus.”

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Will Varadkar comment on this?

Will he fcuk!

This guy won't do a day in prison. It will be "too dangerous" for him.

This is only going to occur more and more often.

My sympathies to the hard-working and mortgage paying locals who have to put up with this nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

The perpetrators address and Eircode have been posted in several different places on Instagram and there are people sharing it, threatening to stab/kill him in revenge for last nights incident.
    I hope his parents and siblings don’t end up getting attacked or assaulted because of what their son did.

If white teens weren't ganging up before, they will be now. For security and protection. And when gang violence breaks out, of course it will be the white Irish racists' fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

There are comments on social media from these gangs suggesting this is racially motivated. "Sooner these white Irish boys accept they physically inferior the better / when we finished with you we taking your women / so proud of the carrigaline black boys"

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Will Varadkar comment on this?

Will he fcuk!

This guy won't do a day in prison. It will be "too dangerous" for him.

This is only going to occur more and more often.

My sympathies to the hard-working and mortgage paying locals who have to put up with this nightmare.

The leader of the country needs to comment on every violent disorder in the county? Really?

Or just on violent disorder commited by non white people?

Oh, can I have a go off your crystal ball. Sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Thankfully, here, most posters seem to realise that skin colour is irrelevant to this situation.
    Most.

It's one of the things I like about the Cork City thread. While I regularly disagree (often vehemently) with other posters here, it rarely descends into the racist, xenophobic, discriminatory cesspit that social media often becomes.

(I hope I haven't spoken too soon)
    There are loads of websites trying to start the reverse racism argument, and the gullible, who like being spoon-fed will lap it all up. They are being told to attack certain posts and posters on twitter and to twist the BLM narrative.
    The language on there is exactly the "discriminatory cesspit" you refer to.
    Never realised that this was all orchestrated and managed. Scary stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement